Requirements for active lane assist

Planning on buying a superb, however majority of them don't seem to have lane assist let alone active lane assist. Therefore I'm thinking of retrofitting it after purchase.

I don't want to strip half the car to do it was hoping maybe if you have the following already in the car it's a case of just coding it on.

Second to this, are there any trim levels other than L&K (UK) where it comes standard ?

Just goes to show we’re all different 🙂

my L&K has it fitted, used it once and found it very intrusive on normal roads, switched it off and that’s how it’s stayed for the past 16 months.

I’m not against these sort of aids, I use the ACC an awful lot, great in 30 and 40 limits, it’s just that I don’t like the Lane Keep Assist.

Hope you manage to sort it 👍🏻

Yes i understand, a lot of people have a love hate relationship with a lot of recent systems. I know some people who hate the start stop system.

I have this fantasy of semi auto pilot with ACC and lane guidance, I travel often along a nice stretch of road with clear markings so am hopeful it will work well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mfizz said:

Planning on buying a superb, however majority of them don't seem to have lane assist let alone active lane assist. Therefore I'm thinking of retrofitting it after purchase.

I don't want to strip half the car to do it was hoping maybe if you have the following already in the car it's a case of just coding it on.

Second to this, are there any trim levels other than L&K (UK) where it comes standard ?

As suggested read the thread above. Not really conclusive as we never get to the bottom of why his entire car had to be replaced, other than Skoda sent 200 L&K's to UK that didn't have LA. But why they didn't have LA available, or why it simply couldnt be retro coded is not explained to the guy. 

Its possible that a piece of Hardware required for LA was missing which coding would not resolve. In his case he had the camera and the radar hardware in place as his other ADAS systems were working. The only thing I could think was maybe there was a piece of hardware required in the steering as the LA is an active system which adjusts the steering wheel when required. As compared to a passive system which just gives an audible warning. 

So - if you get a Sportline that doesnt have LA but has the camera on the windscreen and the radar in the bumper, could you retro code? The answer is - we still don't know for sure.

The case above seems unique. 200 cars were sent to UK with some piece of hardware missing. But we don't know what. Its possible that if that hardware was in the Sportline then maybe coding would be all thats required.

In my line of work I do some ADAS calibration using TEXA and HELLA diags. We see plenty of cars with cameras on the windscreen but no ADAS activated, so therefore no need to calibrate. But why are the cameras there? Is it possible that the cars are just fitted with the hardware in the knowledge that if the cust wants LA etc activated it will just require a coding visit to the dealer? Why fit them if they cant be activated? 

There are quite a few threads on here that suggest that once you have the A5 front camera in place then coding is all that is needed by VCDS. I don't doubt that some have had success with this, but what hardware exactly was on their car to begin with. Camera - yes. But what about Radar in bumper etc etc. And if its that east why did Skoda have to replace this guys entire car? A lot of unknowns.  Is it even possible that the pre-facelift model just requires coding but after the facelift something more is involved. For sure ADAS systems keep evolving. 

Did the pre-facelift model have Active or Passive LA? I'm not sure. But from what i can read the current model has Active LA. That could be the difference.

I will be watching this other similar threads with interest. 

Why just why lol? It can never be simple.. I probably should have mentioned, that I wasn't intending on buying brand new but rather used, 2015+ but most likely pre 2017, which means se / se business, se - l executive or l&k.

There is better availability of the se-l as I also want leather interior, so probably the one I intend on going for. 

That is a lot of information, thanks for the links.. I contacted the vagretrofit guy and all they said was any facelift model, yet to receive feedback on the hardware requirements. Said it would be better of it was 2016, that's all.

Had driven Audi’s with active assist and wasn’t keen but it came on my Kodiaq and after a few weeks getting used to it, I don’t think I’d want to be without it. Combine lane assist, adaptive cruise and DSG and the car practically does drive itself.

2 hours ago, Ranger said:

Had driven Audi’s with active assist and wasn’t keen but it came on my Kodiaq and after a few weeks getting used to it, I don’t think I’d want to be without it. Combine lane assist, adaptive cruise and DSG and the car practically does drive itself.

That's the ambition, superb generally come with ACC and I am looking for dsg as well.. acc with active lane guidance ..

On Scala with lane assist (but without ACC) it does not keep the car centered on the lane. It only works if you are approaching or going over the line markers and then the "drunken co-driver with a white line phobia" yanks the steering wheel back and nothing more. I dont know if it behaves differently with ACC fitted, but with this example its not convenience feature like ACC but more like safety feature similar to the front collision warning.

I'm more than happy that my Superb does not have this installed.

7 hours ago, Zoig said:

On Scala with lane assist (but without ACC) it does not keep the car centered on the lane. It only works if you are approaching or going over the line markers and then the "drunken co-driver with a white line phobia" yanks the steering wheel back and nothing more. I dont know if it behaves differently with ACC fitted, but with this example its not convenience feature like ACC but more like safety feature similar to the front collision warning.

I'm more than happy that my Superb does not have this installed.

I have two options under lane assist, one will activate lane assist - acts as drunk driver. The other option is adaptive lane guidance and it  will keep car in center of lanes.

1 hour ago, Paikesejanku said:

I have two options under lane assist, one will activate lane assist - acts as drunk driver. The other option is adaptive lane guidance and it  will keep car in center of lanes.

You are correct. I had a look trough Superb and Scala price lists, Adaptive lane assist seems to be a part of Traffic Jam Assist - only avaliable with Superb that has DSG gearbox and not avaliable at all with Scala.

50 minutes ago, Zoig said:

You are correct. I had a look trough Superb and Scala price lists, Adaptive lane assist seems to be a part of Traffic Jam Assist - only avaliable with Superb that has DSG gearbox and not avaliable at all with Scala.

The drunk driver version is standard lane assist in most cars, has very little input to the steering, where it will vibrate the wheel or nudge in the opposite direction. Where as adaptive will actively make small adjustments to keep the car centred.