Tried tuning

I think they've now been clinically proven to not be worth it.  Get a proper re-map done instead.  Far better for the car, and far better value for money.  In my opinion.

Gaz

Edited by IamGaz
  • Like 2

Had one on my Diesel VRS, took it off, went into limp mode pretty much every journey.

The pedal box is well worth the money though.

1 hour ago, j1mg said:

Had one on my Diesel VRS, took it off, went into limp mode pretty much every journey.

The pedal box is well worth the money though.

Same here, after limp mode after limp mode, I finally took my box off.

The pedal box does make the accelerator peddle act as I'd want it to. Surprisingly, Eco mode on the pedal box is the best.

Darkside Developments posted an interesting analysis of several Diesel Tuning boxes onto their Youtube channel a month or so ago, included the likes of DTUK and TDI-Tuning as well as some from overseas. Interestingly they all only made around 210-220bhp despite claims of 240+ and according to the folk at Darkside the methods by which this extra power was being produced may not be the cleverest for the health of the car.

I know there's an element of Darkside being a competitor to these companies but the analysis was pretty detailed (as is most of the stuff they seem to put out - a lot of it is well over my head) and interestingly the tuning company i have used up here in the past also poured scorn on the idea of getting more than 210-220 out of the 184 TDI at Stage 1, even more so if the transmission has had a harsh paper round.

All in all, it was enough to put me off the idea of tuning boxes.

EDIT - Just seen Gary's link - same video i am referring to above

Edited by BigJakk

All they can do is to fool the ECU into throwing more fuel into the engine, a little bit more power for sure but a richer mixture at all throttle openings aint going to do the fuel consumption or the DPF life any favours at all.

All they do is increase injector duration and/or raise the fuel rail pressure.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

All they can do is to fool the ECU into throwing more fuel into the engine, a little bit more power for sure but a richer mixture at all throttle openings aint going to do the fuel consumption or the DPF life any favours at all.

All they do is increase injector duration and/or raise the fuel rail pressure.

decrease?

You cannot beat a remap. The tuning boxes only alter the parameters the ecu reads. As in the Darkside video they dont do a very good job and can actually cause your car more harm than good.

Equally a poorly written remap can aswell.

You would be best to stick to a reputable firm with evidence to back up the quoted power and reliablity of the map.

Most places now also offer payment plans so you can spend a bit more and pay over 12 months or so, making ut more accessible and affordable.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 11:56, Ecomatt said:

You cannot beat a remap. The tuning boxes only alter the parameters the ecu reads. As in the Darkside video they dont do a very good job and can actually cause your car more harm than good.

Equally a poorly written remap can aswell.

You would be best to stick to a reputable firm with evidence to back up the quoted power and reliablity of the map.

Most places now also offer payment plans so you can spend a bit more and pay over 12 months or so, making ut more accessible and affordable.

so do you know any good mappers

Shark Performance which is now Racing Line. Also Darkside Developments are widely regarded as one of the best diesel tuners. Also Superchips bluefin have good results. I have had both Shark and Superchips maps on previous cars and never had an issue. Companies such as Celtic Tuning have a good followig along with APR. I know Awesome do APR maps for our diesels for about £350. Most maps give between 210 and 220bhp, which is about the most to expect bar changing turbos etc.

Also Darkside do a charge pipe upgrade for £160 and you can fit a new turbo intake pipe from the airbox to turbo for a bit more flow. I am thinking of the charge pipe and turbo intake pipe, then fit a remap.

18 minutes ago, Ecomatt said:

Shark Performance which is now Racing Line. Also Darkside Developments are widely regarded as one of the best diesel tuners. Also Superchips bluefin have good results. I have had both Shark and Superchips maps on previous cars and never had an issue. Companies such as Celtic Tuning have a good followig along with APR. I know Awesome do APR maps for our diesels for about £350. Most maps give between 210 and 220bhp, which is about the most to expect bar changing turbos etc.

Also Darkside do a charge pipe upgrade for £160 and you can fit a new turbo intake pipe from the airbox to turbo for a bit more flow. I am thinking of the charge pipe and turbo intake pipe, then fit a remap.

sorry its petrol dsg

7 minutes ago, stokie said:

sorry its petrol dsg

Sorry. You said tdi tuning boxes so thought it was a diesel. All of the above tuners will do an excellent map for your car.

2 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Shark Performance which is now Racing Line.

I've read a lot of negative reports since the buyout and name change to Racing Line.

If your in the North East/Yorkshire area I would recommend BigFish Tuning in Stokesley did both of my previous petrol VRS' - I did 3 and 5 years and approx 50k miles on both of them without any issues, reasonably priced.

I considered having my current car done and when I contacted them they were quite open about the limitations of the clutch/flywheel on the diesel VRS where I imagine others wouldn't be as open about it if it thought missing out on a sale.

No complains here on my superb sportline with racingline. Used shark for my octavia and it was faultless so went to Ben (shark) at racingline when I needed the superb done and it is beautiful. Diesel obvs. 
also yes good reports of big fish tuning too and very good value for money 

494BBBA8-E231-4A69-8788-4535C05A84C9.jpeg