2.0 tsi vrs 2016

Anyone replaced the clutch in a tfsi vrs. Im remapped to 300 and getting occassional slip in 5 or 6th gear at 3000 odd revs eg motorway overtakes. Thinking best to start looking at clutches. Dont think an uprated clutch is needed but was wondering if anyone knew if a cupra clutch would fit given they come from factory at 300

DSG or not ? from what I have read the manual VRS clutch isn't really up to the job once remapped and uprated clutch is reccomended, but general conscious is that the DSG box/clutch is fine.

Can't comment from experience though as only had mine 6 weeks and haven't gotten it mapped yet.

I had a new clutch in my VRS TSi Manual as it started slipping at standard power.  It was apparent the previous owner hadn't bedded it in properly.

I'm told the OE clutch should be ok for stage 1 remap.

The oem clutch is ~£400.

The issue is that the DM flywheel also generally needs replacing and that's another £600.

Then there's the labour....

I asked about upgraded clutches but apparently the difference in traffic is significant.  They are much more on/off than the OEM one and if you do a lot of driving in town at low speeds can make it less pleasant and practical for a road car.  I think the clutch itself is about £800 in that case, so an extra £400.

I chose to go OEM as I want my car to be drivable without that compromise.  I know how annoying a harder clutch is in traffic and I know the result is we'll just use the car less for those journeys which defeats the point of me having a practical car, I may as well go and buy a sports car in that case.

Whether the clutch really is ok for a remap though is debatable.  I've heard people preach both yes and no, so who knows.

2 hours ago, MassiveJim said:

DSG or not ? from what I have read the manual VRS clutch isn't really up to the job once remapped and uprated clutch is reccomended, but general conscious is that the DSG box/clutch is fine.

Can't comment from experience though as only had mine 6 weeks and haven't gotten it mapped yet.

Having run my 2015  manual from new for 3 years then having a Shark stage 1 map installed for the last 18 months of ownership , I am fully qualified to comment. The standard clutch was easily able to cope. However I hardly every ripped it from a standing start, because it was pointless, they just can't put the power down efficiently. The most effective and to me, the most impressive thing, was to launch without wheelspin in 1st , get it rolling, then quickly into 2nd and if required 3rd, using the extra torque, which also allowed me to overtake very safely. It was a very worthwhile upgrade, which really improved the car and made it more fun to drive.  I am sure many less sympathetic/experienced drivers of similar mapped 2.0 TSI cars, may well have regularly mashed their foot onto the accelerator from a standing start and killed their clutches, or owned 2nd hand (previuosly loved !) cars whose previous owners'driving habits had worn the clutch prematurely.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangor_red said:

Anyone replaced the clutch in a tfsi vrs. Im remapped to 300 and getting occassional slip in 5 or 6th gear at 3000 odd revs eg motorway overtakes. Thinking best to start looking at clutches. Dont think an uprated clutch is needed but was wondering if anyone knew if a cupra clutch would fit given they come from factory at 300

No need whatsoever like @Redboy states the standard factory is fine unless you abuse it from too many/harsh standing starts. August 2017 bought a Vrs245 new then at 7,000 miles went stage 1 with 302bhp and 467nm and at 14,000 miles went stage 2 with 336bhp and 517nm which my manual car coped with fine until I sold it last December at 29,000 miles. Listen to people who have run and modified these cars (mine even did 2 track days for example).

you need to look at an uprated clutch. lots of stuff on golf r forums about stock clutches slipping, cupra would be similar. i changed to an uprated sachs clutch, wee bit heavier but you get used to it very quickly. its going to be around a grand for clutch and labour, no point in not getting an uprated one if you are keeping the map on

bangor wales or county down? if the latter i can let you know where i had mine replaced

1 minute ago, encephalopathy said:

you need to look at an uprated clutch. lots of stuff on golf r forums about stock clutches slipping, cupra would be similar. i changed to an uprated sachs clutch, wee bit heavier but you get used to it very quickly. its going to be around a grand for clutch and labour, no point in not getting an uprated one if you are keeping the map on

bangor wales or county down? if the latter i can let you know where i had mine replaced

Diving boots work well with heavier clutches.:thumbup:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bangor_red said:

County down yea. Think a grand at the minute is def not a goer. Might have to go standard and reconsider the map

At motorway speeds I would change into 4th to overtake. Equally your map may be asking too much power and torque low down. I would speak to your mapper and see if they can reduce the low down torque. It may be the more pocket friendly solution.