Sat Nav TCIM; Rolling in Gear

I'm finally the proud owner of an Octavia 1.9 6spd TDI PD 105bhp DSG Laurent + Klement! (Phew!) I added SatNav when i ordered and love it but want to know if it can be set to re-route me round traffic jams (not by me entering in where they are but the system working it out en route.) I've read in the handbook that i need to be tuned to a TCIM station - can anyone tell me what this is and how i tune into it?!

Also, i've noticed that when i'm positioned on a slight incline or hill, the car rolls forward or backward slightly once i've selected a gear, before i accelerate. This never happened in my previous automatic. Is it something to do with it being a DSG?! Am I just expected to used the handbrake and treat it like a manual?

Sorry for sounding so girly!! Thanks!

Are you sure that's TCIM and not TMC -- Traffic Message Channel? As far as I know (not living in the UK and not having the Skoda SatNav either) TMC isn't generally availale in the UK (well, not free) -- only as a subscription service. No doubt someone will prove me wrong on that, which would be good news for you.

Regarding the action of the DSG box, if you are in Drive, then it will "help" you with hill starts -- the time it takes you to take your foot off the brake and put it n the accelerator the DSG will/should stop the car rolling backwards. If the hill isn't that steep, or indeed of you're parked on the flat, then it will move the car forward.

tmc is available and is pickybacked on the classic fm signal. What I don't know is if the skoda is compatible.

As he said tmc is traditionally subscription based, but would be a pain to arrange so instead they add a charge to the cost of the maps when a company buys them which makes them tmc compatible.

Also' date=' i've noticed that when i'm positioned on a slight incline or hill, the car rolls forward or backward slightly once i've selected a gear, before i accelerate. This never happened in my previous automatic. Is it something to do with it being a DSG?! Am I just expected to used the handbrake and treat it like a manual?

[/quote']

DSG does tend to roll, but only a very little. Takes a little getting used too but you'll soon find that there is a car within a couple of inches of you, there isn't a problem.

As has been mentioned the TMC information is sent over Classic FM. The sat nav unit should pick up classic as its carrier automatically one of the menus shows the available TMC stations available classic is the only choice in the UK. When going abroad assuming TMC coded european disks are used will select the carrier channel automatically. You dont have to listen to classic fm to use TMC!! you use the radio stations as normal

Teleatlas produce the disks for the Sat nav unit and for the uk there is a tmc enabled disc and a non tmc enabled disc teh tmc disc being more expensive to cover the charges for the company running TMC, different countries pay teh charge in different ways . Your unit will be known as an MFD2 unit in your Octavia 2 the earlier units fitted to Skodas where reffered to just as MFD .

What type of disk skoda has supplied you I do not know-

On the earlier mfd units fitted to Skoda's the letters TMC was visible on the bottom right of the screen when a TMC disk is inserted, its probably the same on your MFD2 unit. A way to tell if you have a TMC disk is to be able to select "dynamic" in the route option menus. If you can you can select it you have it if its greyed out and beeps you havn't.

TMC only operates on motorways.

The rolling thing is surely simple - when you put your foot on the brake, both clutches disengage - when you take your foot off the brake there's half a second delay before forward or reverse gear engages. Otherwise the clutch would be engaged and wearing itself out every time you stop at the lights. Just try it for yourself and you'll see for yourself how it works in practice.

Anyone want to disagree?

I’ve got the Sat Nav too, and you can reroute manually by pressing the 3 car symbol button on the top right, you then say how big a diversion you want to take by twiddling the appropriate ****. It’s easy as long as you follow the screen displays, although I find it really hard to estimate how long a diversion I need to avoid a problem.

As for the DSG, I too have it and my car rolls back slightly on hills. I have ESP fitted to mine and this was supposed to prevent this happening, but sadly the boffins at Skoda haven’t got it working yet. The clutch never seems to fully disengage (normal automatics don’t have clutches, but they aren’t as clever as the DSG gearboxes), so slight inclines aren’t a problem, but on steeper hills, I hold the brake with my left foot and gently apply throttle with my right foot. This makes the clutch start to bite a bit more and as you come off the brake the car moves forward without rolling back. It’s a skill that you develop the more you try it, a bit like when you first learn to drive and start to use a normal clutch.

EDIT: Oh dear, I tried to type the word **** as in a **** of butter, but the system thinks it’s a rude word. So instead of ****, think small round button like thingy.

Hate to disagree with Lady E, but I'm sure that as long as you have your foot on the brake the clutches are fully disengaged - take your foot off on the flat and nothing happens for a brief moment, then the clutch bites and you start trundling on slowly - I suppose it's meant to mimic a conventional auto.

Standard disc supplied is Teleatlas non TMC enabled which means the TMC flag on the nav screen is greyed out. TMC, as previously mentioned, is sent on a subcarrier wave on Classic FM. This covers class A and B roads (motorways and A roads) using sensors in the road (blue lap post things) as well as Natioal Express and Eddie Stobart wagons. (measure their average speed and informs the TMC bods of any delays etc). Strictly speaking it is a free service although a small premium is paid via the cost of the disc.

TMC informs you od roadworks, congestion, queues, weather warnings as well at many others. You can then opt to reroute (system gives you the option to take a 1, 2,6,8 mile etc diversion) or to drive through.

Hope that clarifies you question. Jat

Hate to disagree with Lady E, but I'm sure that as long as you have your foot on the brake the clutches are fully disengaged - take your foot off on the flat and nothing happens for a brief moment, then the clutch bites and you start trundling on slowly - I suppose it's meant to mimic a conventional auto.

I too hate to disagree, but try putting the car into neutral at a set of lights and you can feel the transmission relax. There is a slight shudder which is more than just an actuator and a slight change to the engine note. Also whilst on the flat, very gently start to release the brake pedal (perhaps there is a sensor in the master cylinder that measure hydraulic pressure??) and the car creeps forward before you have completely released. I

DSG car is definatly more "relaxed" if slipped into neutral that if you simply sit with your foot on teh brake.

Exactly! It feels like the clutch is dragging. Wish I had summed up my post with the word relaxed, it would have saved 5 mins of typing. :D

Exactly! It feels like the clutch is dragging. Wish I had summed up my post with the word relaxed, it would have saved 5 mins of typing. :D [/font']

Hey, mayby not the most techy of terms but it is descriptive!