Octavia MK3 - Screen Removal / Upgrade Amundsen LCD to Columbus

80sNRG

I swapped out my Amundsen screen for a Columbus one and I took some photos along the way, I hope this helps somebody.

I suppose this guide is applicable to anyone wishing to remove the screen in their MK3 Octavia.

No coding is required and there's no component protection on the screen.

Difficulty: 1/5

Time: 30 minutes (Tops)

Tools required: Radio removal keys, Electrical snips/side cutters or something sharp - you need to cut a locating plug off one of the connectors.

Part(s): MIB2 Columbus Screen (5E0919606)

Apparently the MIB2.5 5E0919605M will also fit, but the APP button will not work.

I picked up my Columbus screen for £160. You may have to wait and keep searching for the part at a price you like.

Step 1 - Find car LCD screen

1.jpg

Step 2 - Insert radio keys. Right top and bottom keys fit this way round.

You need 4 keys to remove the LCD screen. The notches on the keys need to face inwards towards the screen.

You could remove the cover protecting the proximity sensors at the base of the screen but it's not necessary. Get something behind it and pop it off if you're that way inclined.

2.jpg

Step 3 - Left top and bottom removal keys fit this way round.

3.jpg

Step 4 - Push all 4 keys into the locating holes around the facia, Don't be rough, they don't require much force.

4.jpg

Step 5 - Pull back on the keys (requires little/no force) and the screen will fall out. There are two connectors on the back of the screen, remove them both.

Your screen is now free and you can now put your Amundsen LCD on eBay.

5.jpg

Step 6 - Chop the circled locating block off the blue plug.

6.jpg

Step 7 - Your blue plug should now look like this

7.jpg

Step 8 - Put the connectors back in the only place they'll fit and push the new screen in. Job done.

8.jpg

You're done! :)

I hope this helps someone!

• Thanks 1

Just like to add a note that this only applies if you have an Amundsen MIB2 (e.g. an Octavia III manufactured after May 2015), if you have an Amundsen MIB1 then it won't work with any screen other than the original spec one (the resolution is different and you get double images) - this applies to my Octavia III which was manufactured in April 2015.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/08/2020 at 00:10, 80sNRG said:

I swapped out my Amundsen screen for a Columbus one and I took some photos along the way, I hope this helps somebody.

I suppose this guide is applicable to anyone wishing to remove the screen in their MK3 Octavia.

No coding is required and there's no component protection on the screen.

Difficulty: 1/5

Time: 30 minutes (Tops)

Tools required: Radio removal keys, Electrical snips/side cutters or something sharp - you need to cut a locating plug off one of the connectors.

Part(s): MIB2 Columbus Screen (5E0919606)

Apparently the MIB2.5 5E0919605M will also fit, but the APP button will not work.

I picked up my Columbus screen for £160. You may have to wait and keep searching for the part at a price you like.

Step 1 - Find car LCD screen

1.jpg

Step 2 - Insert radio keys. Right top and bottom keys fit this way round.

You need 4 keys to remove the LCD screen. The notches on the keys need to face inwards towards the screen.

You could remove the cover protecting the proximity sensors at the base of the screen but it's not necessary. Get something behind it and pop it off if you're that way inclined.

2.jpg

Step 3 - Left top and bottom removal keys fit this way round.

3.jpg

Step 4 - Push all 4 keys into the locating holes around the facia, Don't be rough, they don't require much force.

4.jpg

Step 5 - Pull back on the keys (requires little/no force) and the screen will fall out. There are two connectors on the back of the screen, remove them both.

Your screen is now free and you can now put your Amundsen LCD on eBay.

5.jpg

Step 6 - Chop the circled locating block off the blue plug.

6.jpg

Step 7 - Your blue plug should now look like this

7.jpg

Step 8 - Put the connectors back in the only place they'll fit and push the new screen in. Job done.

8.jpg

You're done! :)

I hope this helps someone!

I know it's been a while since this was done but was the screen unlocked/CP removed or was it just plug and play? Thinking on doing the same to my 2016 to have the bigger screen just...

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy there, sorry for not getting back to you sooner!

There is no component protection on the screen, it's plug and play.

If you upgrade the headunit itself, then that does have protection.

I still have my VRS and the screen was definitely worth every single penny.

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2023 at 18:21, 80sNRG said:

Ahoy there, sorry for not getting back to you sooner!

There is no component protection on the screen, it's plug and play.

If you upgrade the headunit itself, then that does have protection.

I still have my VRS and the screen was definitely worth every single penny.

Never worry, appreciate you getting back to me anyways..

Definitely still toying with the idea, changed the speakers recently although can see me upgrading the speaker wires and adding an amp in the future too, but for the meantime the speakers with vibe micro amp do the job nicely, not ridiculously loud but loud enough with brilliant clarity and separation so far...

Screen potentially next on the agenda though then look at the smartlink activation...