Fishy Smell

Hi everyone, 

I am getting a fishy smell through the blowers but only when not using the aircon. It seems to go away when the aircon is on. 

I know people will say to just use aircon all the time then but I don't want to do that all the time though. 

BTW I can sometimes smell this from outside the car so presume this may be something under the bonnet somewhere. 

The car has been to the garage who couldn't find anything wrong. 

Any ideas? 

Get one of the Aircon cleaning sprays. IIRC, you run the Aircon on full, set the cleaner off in the car, then close the doors for around 15 mins. 
I had exactly this problem in our MKI Superb. I too only used to run the AC in the summer. Condensation builds up in the ducting pipes and mould grows in there which creates a stink when the AC is switched on. Lesson learned and I’ve kept the AC on in all our cars and never had a problem since then. 

• Like 2

Remove the Pollen / Cabin filter if it has not been renewed recently, be sure to have a replacement ready.

Vacuum where it fits, wash with disinfectant or vinegar in water the area.

Then use the Bomb without the new filter fitted, then afterwards fit it.

Oooohhhh....be super careful here.  That Fishy smell you are experiencing is R420 gas from the A/C system and you should not be experiencing this.

I think the reason is that there is a leak in the low-pressure side of the system and when the A/C is not on, it will leak refrigeant into the cabin.  Can I suggest you get an car a/c expert on the case - and check the pressure and see if you have a leak?

11 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Oooohhhh....be super careful here.  That Fishy smell you are experiencing is R420 gas from the A/C system and you should not be experiencing this.

I think the reason is that there is a leak in the low-pressure side of the system and when the A/C is not on, it will leak refrigeant into the cabin.  Can I suggest you get an car a/c expert on the case - and check the pressure and see if you have a leak?

The system was checked at the garage. They couldn't see an issue anywhere. 

• Like 1