4WD

Is there any visual way of telling if a Superb is 4WD or not? I've been been on the phone pricing a DSG service, one dealer told me that my car was 4WD when he checked the details which left me a bit puzzled so I phoned another dealer to check and he said it was a 2WD model. 

• Haha 1

Do you not know what you have?  Can you not look under the car and see if a prop shaft goes to the rear?

?

What Engine has the car got, and how many gears for forward and when was in built?

I would be avoiding both dealerships if the Staff on the phone do not know their arse from elbow.

The cost is the same of an Oil Change of a Wet Clutch DSG no matter if FWD or AWD.  There are DSG's that are due at each 40,000 miles and ones due at every 80,000 miles though.

If AWD then the Haldex Service is due every 3 years. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Do you not know what you have?  Can you not look under the car and see if a prop shaft goes to the rear?

?

I bought the car used and it was not advertised as 4WD, thats why I was asking, I'll check for a prop shaft, thanks.

That Engine has the car got, and how many gears for forward and when was in built?

It's a 2.0tdi 190 DSG 6 speed (wet clutch)

I would be avoiding both dealerships if the Staff on the phone do not know their arse from elbow.

Well to be fair one of the dealers is right.

The cost is the same of an Oil Change of a Wet Clutch DSG no matter if FWD or AWD.  There are DSG's that are due at each 40,000 miles and ones due at every 80,000 miles though.

If AWD then the Haldex Service is due every 3 years. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dylbert said:

Is there any visual way of telling if a Superb is 4WD or not? I've been been on the phone pricing a DSG service, one dealer told me that my car was 4WD when he checked the details which left me a bit puzzled so I phoned another dealer to check and he said it was a 2WD model. 

Mine has a 4 x 4 badge on the boot and there is no wheelspin from a swift launch.

1CF485BF-138C-40A9-84CA-1A521117191B.jpeg

Edited by shyVRS245
Photo added
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Never take what a car actually is by the badges and you can not count on cars in Ireland being the same as in the UK.

People debadge cars and others 'add' badges.

Then steering wheels get changed.

Likely not AWD though.

Indeed. I live round the corner from the owner of a Mercedes C180 Brabus Type-R Sport AMG. 

Hero.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Plant it and if it squirrels for grip then likely 2WD, whereas if it just goes with no hint of wheelspin and tries to rip your head from your neck, likely 4WD - although saying that, I had a haldex issue on mine and it wheelspun like a beast...replaced under warranty and all ticketyboo.  :)  

I've also got 4x4 on the rear - couldn't say what the DSG lever says, and it's too darned wet outside to go out and look...

Other than that, check under for rear diff and proshaft.

On 19/08/2020 at 19:38, Martin201 said:

Check the VIN 4th letter from left denotes Body type / drive.

93A2F499-31B6-4690-8DC5-D381C49E8780.jpeg

FDF64E24-6634-407A-9FBD-57A54CD887EE.jpeg

This is quite interesting - thanks for posting.  I can now see that I have a 4x4 Superb with the 2.0ltr TDI 140kW and have 2 front, 2 side, 2 head, and a knee airbag.  Wicked...

On 19/08/2020 at 18:35, ChrisCh said:

Not all 4x4s have 4x4 on the gear selector!

Mine didn't, well until I looked at it it didn't :D

I even bought my last Octavia believing the sellers (a retired couple who genuinely did believe what their garage had told them) that it was a 2.0 TDi and hence would have been a 140hp 6 speed, only went for a very  short test drive, paid and on driving home thought it felt underpowered and it just wouldn't go into 6th gear.......................

I should by now know to look at the gearknob 🙄

Edited by J.R.
  • Haha 1