79 500 miles review and good bye to Skoda

3 hours ago, ahenners said:

Great summary of ownership and good luck with the Volvo!

Agreed. Good luck with the new car! 

• 3 months later...

A week ago I returned my Superb to the dealer @ 87 000miles, got 17 000£ for it, Iconsider this a good trade in price in Sweden at least.

After one weeks driving andapprox 1000miles in the V60CC B4 my impressions is the following:

Start/stop function - In the Superb I always deactivated this function due to the delay when pulling away, also it was quite noticable and generated a lot of vibrations when starting.

The B4 engine doesn't vibrate in the same extent, not at all when starting. Engine is started before the foot is completely of the brake pedal - no delay at all and the function is active all the time.

Gearbox - DSG is kind of quick and could shift seamlessly under the right circumstances, but it had its quirks when it didn't know what gear to use coming into a roundabout. The torque converter connected to the B4 might not be as efficient but it never hesitates and even when under load it shifts silky smooth.

Steering - I really miss the progressive steering from the Superb, it was one of the things that I didn't think I would miss but I was so wrong! The Volvo is "sharper" when turning but not enough to make any difference.

Comfort - One thing I knew I would miss, the DCC in comfort mode when going straight on country roads, Volvo is firmer and sits somewhere between Normal and Sport of the Superb. A lot less body roll in the Volvo and better suspension setup makes it feel more in control and agile on twisty roads.

Soundlevel in cabin is in a different world, with the acoustic glass there is no wind noise present at all in the Volvo, also noise from tyres are a fair bit lower even though the Superb was equipped with Michelin Cross Climate and the Volvo has Spiked Hakkapelitta 9 tyres. Rattle from gravel is effectively silenced in

the Volvo while it was very loud and present in the Superb.

Seats - This is subjective but this is the reality for me - In the Superb a 200miles drive would cause back pain no matter sitting position, in the Volvo I went on a 450miles trip last Tuesday and didn't get any pain at all. To be honest the old Volvo seats in XC70 or the higher spec seats are even more comfortable.

Space - Superb is a clear winner, both front, rear and luggage. Storage is also a lot better in the Superb.

Headlights - Xenon on the Superb with SLA and everything + a 160W led bar, Volvo equipped with Dynamic LED and 90W led bar.

Dipped light in the Superb is actually brighter with a better light dispersion, Full beam is a LOT better in the Volvo and the automatic lights actually works so good I can leave them in all the time as it also controls the led bar effectively. In the Superb I couldn't use the SLA with the led bar, when using without the bar half of the oncoming vehicles flashed me to turn the full beam off.

Climate - Volvo reaches 21c a lot quicker than the Superb, but non of the cars suffers from cold or warm spots in the cabin. Heat are distributed just as good in both cars. Superb had 3 zones, Volvo 2zones, both has remote controlled diesel heaters, Volvo can be remotely started to heat up even faster.

Infotainment - Both has those horrible touch screens, Volvos has an edge in responsiveness and the bigger screen but. Functionality is about par with some differences in approach, Volvo has all important settings reachable with one swipe right while the Columbus has them hidden in a menu three. In my opinion both solutions are equally bad - always requires focus to be taken of the road...

Sound system - Canton in Superb, High Performance in Volvo. More oumph i. The Superb but a more full and harmonic sound in the Volvo. To my ears the Volvo system is more natural sounding and has a better roll off in the treble. Sound quality is lower in the V60CC compared to same spec XC70, Superb has an edge in the clarity between 1500hz to 5000hz, Volvo has an edge as it actually reproduces sound between 300Hz and 120Hz where the Canton really lacks.

Ambient light - Beautifull in the Superb, in the Volvo this is limited to two ledlights in the ceiling.

Fuel economy - Hard to tell but it looks to be in the same area, still learning the Volvo. Between 70km/h and 100km/h B4 takes less fuel, but on twisty roads it uses more fuel. Highway driving they both use 5.5L/100km

Power delivery - B4 has an almost linear power delivery but it doesn't really benefit from high revs, Superb felt snappier on some occasions and in some like an old lump that didn't know what to do.

All in all both are really good cars, V60CC handles a lot better on uneven roads, better sound proofing and better seats. The Superb is more comfortable on straight roads, has more space and a better dipped beam.

I miss the Superb but I don't regret that I got the V60CC.

• Thanks 3

An interesting read. Can I ask why you went for the 60 not the 90? I very nearly went for the 90 instead of the Superb, but couldn't find one in the spec I was after. Looked very nice though.. 

You would be amazed by the latest Matrix LED headlights on the 2020 Superb plus I like the Canton in my car for 1980's Rock music including Europe and the seats fit my long torso and 1.85m height. Agree about the handling comfy straightline nature of the Superb as most of my miles are motorway but my diesel is really quiet with very little wind or tyre noise (Continental Sport Contact 5). Friend has a XC60 which is ok but not something I would buy. It sounds like a tractor next the latest EVO 150PS diesel engine.

9 hours ago, JBD1974 said:

An interesting read. Can I ask why you went for the 60 not the 90? I very nearly went for the 90 instead of the Superb, but couldn't find one in the spec I was after. Looked very nice though.. 

Went for the 60 because I think it looks better and drives better than the 90, also I'm no longer in need of the extra space offered by the Superb or the 90 :)

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

You would be amazed by the latest Matrix LED headlights on the 2020 Superb plus I like the Canton in my car for 1980's Rock music including Europe and the seats fit my long torso and 1.85m height. Agree about the handling comfy straightline nature of the Superb as most of my miles are motorway but my diesel is really quiet with very little wind or tyre noise (Continental Sport Contact 5). Friend has a XC60 which is ok but not something I would buy. It sounds like a tractor next the latest EVO 150PS diesel engine.

I would like to test the new Matrix LEDs, this is one area that has an enormous potential with new technology. Have you compared them to Volvo Dynamic LED?

Canton sound is subjective and doesn't fit everyone including me, just as some like how Bose sound in their home theater, or Sonos systems - I don't like the sound of them but that's a personal preference that isn't shared by everyone :)

Outside noise of the Volvo engine isn't that flattering, but B4 diesel doesn't have the sound of the old D3,4,5. 

What is EVO 150 diesel?

Is there any other design changes that have lowered the wind noise in MY20? In my MY17 almost everyone that either drove it or was an passenger reacted to the high wind and road noise in the cabin. Maybe differs between estate and sedan also? Do you have the acoustic glass option on yours?

One of my employees will get the newish 200hk diesel in his new Kodiaq, don't think it has the Matrix headlights? I'll get to test the engines back to back after new year :)

Well compared to my previous 2 Skoda's an Octavia 245 with 235/35R19 Michelin PS4 and a Superb 272 running with the same wheels and tyres it is much quieter and a better ride comfort and the leather seats better than the sportier buckets in those cars. Helps only having 18" alloys with 235/45R18 tyres. Don't think it has laminated front windows but the 7 speed DSG (you may have had the older 6 speed) lowers revs at motorway speeds (70mph/113kph) to just 1,600rpm. The Octavia would sit at 2,300rpm (6 speed manual) and the 272 would be 2,000rpm (7 speed DSG). The EVO is a brand new design probably like the 200PS diesel taken from Audi and also used in the latest Mk8 Golf GTD and 4WD version of the Octavia VRS Mk4. I always buy Hatch Superb's because Estate tend to have a resonance or boom at motorway crusing speeds. A friend has a 400bhp Mercedes CLS diesel and his 9 speed Auto does just 1,200rpm at 70mph.

Yep 6 speed, but the engine noise wasn't a problem as wind and road noise drowned the engine noise from 50km/h upwards, of course there was a noise when engine was put under load or revving but for normal driving all the other noises took over. I had the estate, could be that the sedan has less noise and the problem was mostly resonances from the luggage area..

Also had 18" standard wheels on the Superb, with ventilated leather and massage. Never tried the bucket seats, they might fit my body better :)

• Thanks 1

I used Michelin Cross climate and they are rated to 69dB, use the same on our XC70 and that car is dead silent  white these tyres - my Superb not so much.

Soundlevel in my Superb was higher when doing 80km/h than XC70 in 140km/h (no scientific measurement). Doing 140km/h in the XC70 you didn't have to raise your voice to be able to have a conversation. Above 70km/h in the Superb, both me, my wife and children had to raise our voices to overcome the cabins noise.

Haven't had the chance to test conversation in higher speeds with the V60CC but it's no problem conversating without raising the voice in 120km/h with studded tyres.

• Like 1

I've had 3 Volvo's, S40, V60, xc60. The seats are better in Volvo's, they are probably the best out there for comfort. Volvo make good cars but bear in mind there is a clear price difference so that should not be a surprise. 

I'm surprised by the Superb noise complaint though. I'm very sensitive to road and wind noise  and I have no problem with my superb. I can happily be doing motorway speeds and there is no need to raise my voice to chat, no need to turn the volume up. I've just put my winter tyres on and even they are not causing any pain. Acoustic glass in the Volvo is obviously going to help but something sounds wrong with you superb for you to have had that much of an issue. My superb is not noticeably worse than any of my Volvo's, I would say it is equivalent in terms of noise.