Questions from a new owner

Hi, picked up a 17 plate VRS on Tuesday and slowly getting to know it. I have a couple of questions so please indulge me 🙂 

1. Can the infodot system be changed to show things like speed or average mpg? I can't seem to work it out

2. I'm on the 2yr service schedule. Who decides that and is it changable? I'm not that comfortable with 2yr service intervals.

3. Is there somehwere that lists what maintenance items are due and when? e.g. brake fluid, coolant, pollen filter etc

4. What brake discs and pads do I need (they look a bit worn)? It's a petrol VRS

5. Anyone know of an Octavia dog guard that doesn't attach to the headrests? I've had to remove the headrests as the kid's car seats get in the way.

Right hand roller on the steering wheel along with the page button next to it changes what is displayed. When looking at stuff like avg. mpg if you press the roller in, it cycles through 'since start', 'since refuel' or long term.

• Thanks 1

My two pence worth, others will be along for sure. 

1 :  I'm in a 2016 SEL, so have not seen the menu structure in a VRS, so I might be corrected for your model, but press the furthest right button (sort of Return Arrow )on the MFSW (Multi function steering wheel) and use the right scroll wheel to get to DRIVING DATA, and release or press the scroll wheel (click) this will then hold that menu on the MAXI DOT screen in front of you, then scroll around that menu (some can be added and removed from the Infotainment CAR Button Settings pages) and again click this will then hold the data on the screen. on MPG pages, you can press the right scroll button to scroll through the data values such a Long Term MPG, Since refuel, Since start. 

2: The lovely VW group decide, yes it can be changed from Variable (2 yr ) to Fixed 10K.  What's your annual expected mileage? 

3: Yes and no and been debated on here an awful lot. Inspection service, extended scope, they drag the hell out some parts changed unless you ask them to do it and they try and charge you extra bit of minefield in the dealerships. 

4: Cannot comment

5: Cannot comment. 

6: Now go out to the car in the dark and play with menu's whilst the other half wonders where the hell you've gone for several hours:-) 

Edited by paulski
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paulski said:

My two pence worth, others will be along for sure. 

1 :  I'm in a 2016 SEL, so have not seen the menu structure in a VRS, so I might be corrected for your model, but press the furthest right button (sort of Return Arrow )on the MFSW (Multi function steering wheel) and use the right scroll wheel to get to DRIVING DATA, and release or press the scroll wheel (click) this will then hold that menu on the MAXI DOT screen in front of you, then scroll around that menu (some can be added and removed from the Infotainment CAR buttons settings pages) and again click this will then hold the data on the screen. on MPG pages, you can press the right scroll button to scroll through the data values such a Long Term MPG, Since refuel, Since start. 

2: The lovely VW group decide, yes it can be changed from Variable (2 yr ) to Fixed 10K.  What's your annual expected mileage? 

3: Yes and no and been debated on here an awful lot. Inspection service, extended scope, they drag the hell out some parts changed unless you ask them to do it and they try and charge you extra bit of minefield in the dealerships. 

4: Cannot comment.

5: Cannot comment. 

Thanks both. 

Expected mileage is 8k per year. Tempted to at least change the oil annually.

good plan,

Nothing wrong with giving it a nice fresh drink of oil every year,  keeps it sweet especially with your extra horse power you have under that hood (compared to mine...weep:-)) . 

I'm an oil burner and do 12-14k per anum and I'm sticking with a max of 10k oil change and 20k do the lot, air filter fuel filter etc. My last VW diesel I exactly that  and it had done 185K when it got chucked in and broke down once in 12 years due to clutch pedal master cylinder leak, not an engine fault in sight in all that time and still pulled like the day i bought it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phil7 said:

Hi, picked up a 17 plate VRS on Tuesday and slowly getting to know it. I have a couple of questions so please indulge me 🙂 

1. Can the infodot system be changed to show things like speed or average mpg? I can't seem to work it out

As said above, you can get it through using the steering wheel controls and the infotainment system in the car menu will show fuel and trip info as well.

2. I'm on the 2yr service schedule. Who decides that and is it changable? I'm not that comfortable with 2yr service intervals.

Tell them you want it switching to the yearly 10k servicing. I did. I'm happier knowing my car is getting a regular oil change. The long life oil is designed for long distance motorway cruising as that doesn't stress the engine particularly. Whereas stop start and shorter journeys mean the engine gets exposed to more up and down the revs.

3. Is there somehwere that lists what maintenance items are due and when? e.g. brake fluid, coolant, pollen filter etc

Search skoda servicing schedule and it lists all what's needed when

4. What brake discs and pads do I need (they look a bit worn)? It's a petrol VRS

Unless you plan to track it or really take it for some fast road driving, the standard pads should be adequate enough. Otherwise EBC Redstuffs are a favourite.

5. Anyone know of an Octavia dog guard that doesn't attach to the headrests? I've had to remove the headrests as the kid's car seats get in the way.

I know when I looked at a one a while ago, I saw one which appeared to fit at the back of the headsets and in front of the parcel shelf roller. It was an adjustable legged one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phil7 said:

Thanks for all the help everyone. 

Just to clarify, I'm wondering what size discs and pads I need. I think it's 340mm up front for the discs. 

Assuming it's petrol, yes they're 340mm. If it's diesel, they're 312mm

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, phil7 said:

Thanks both, It's the standard facelift 230. 

Trying to work out which pads fit now 🤔 

It really does depend on what you're going to use the car for. Over lockdown when the roads were a little quieter, I went for a good few spirited drives and I never once felt the braking performance affected at any stage. On a couple of those days it was around late April early May when we had a mini heatwave.

Unless you're planning on taking the car onto the track, or if they're in need of changing, I wouldn't bother changing them from stock.

I've looked at changing my calipers to 4 pot monoblocks........but for what? Driving to and from work and the occasional back road blast. Must be me starting to mature, but I can't justify the cost.

7 hours ago, tunedude said:

It really does depend on what you're going to use the car for. Over lockdown when the roads were a little quieter, I went for a good few spirited drives and I never once felt the braking performance affected at any stage. On a couple of those days it was around late April early May when we had a mini heatwave.

Unless you're planning on taking the car onto the track, or if they're in need of changing, I wouldn't bother changing them from stock.

I've looked at changing my calipers to 4 pot monoblocks........but for what? Driving to and from work and the occasional back road blast. Must be me starting to mature, but I can't justify the cost.

I'm highly unlikely to need anything more than the standard set up. But when I look on the car part websites there's 2 options for pads based on different part numbers for some reason. 

1 hour ago, phil7 said:

I'm highly unlikely to need anything more than the standard set up. But when I look on the car part websites there's 2 options for pads based on different part numbers for some reason. 

Most quote with or without pad wear sensor. If you look on Horton Skoda online webshop they usually have good deals with genuine pads and discs.

I only fit standard disc/pads as they are more than up to the job of stopping the car. Even with my old Stage 2+ 280bhp Octy TFSi. The std 312mm brakes worked perfectly. The 340mm brakes work really well as I have them on mine. Cant really think why anyone would bother fitting and spending anything other on their car for the road. Other than bragging rights or if you track day your car every month to justify the outlay. Id rather spend the extra money on family days out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Most quote with or without pad wear sensor. If you look on Horton Skoda online webshop they usually have good deals with genuine pads and discs.

I only fit standard disc/pads as they are more than up to the job of stopping the car. Even with my old Stage 2+ 280bhp Octy TFSi. The std 312mm brakes worked perfectly. The 340mm brakes work really well as I have them on mine. Cant really think why anyone would bother fitting and spending anything other on their car for the road. Other than bragging rights or if you track day your car every month to justify the outlay. Id rather spend the extra money on family days out.

Cheers, how would I tell which pad I needed please? I'll check Horton Skoda out 

8 minutes ago, phil7 said:

Cheers, how would I tell which pad I needed please? I'll check Horton Skoda out 

If you input your registration plate in the website ot should bring up pads that fit your car. Alternatively you can always phone them when they are open.

I suspect if you're looking at somewhere like Eurocarparts it's because they only identify the car as far as a '2.0 petrol', so will be offering pads for the brakes on a vRS with 272mm discs, a vRS 245 with 310mm discs and probably even a non vRS 190 TSI with whatever disc size that came with