EPC light car wont start.

Brin

Hi All,

Its been a long time since I posted anything here!

My Fabia VRS Mk2 has only been used for long journeys since lock down began.

Last week I drove to Aberdeen and back so a 800 mile round journey.

I checked the oil before that trip, and forgot to put the oil cap back on. (Don't think that is related?)  

After driving about 2 miles today, I got bunch of orange lights on the dash,  Tyre pressure, power steering and EPC. The car was ruining but seemed to not be able to move.

After turning off and on again, I get the EPC and Motor light come on, and a rapid clicking noise. but the engine doesn't start.

I managed to pull it out of gear and push it onto the driveway, but now it wont move.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

Brin

7 hours ago, Brin said:

Hi All,

Its been a long time since I posted anything here!

My Fabia VRS Mk2 has only been used for long journeys since lock down began.

Last week I drove to Aberdeen and back so a 800 mile round journey.

I checked the oil before that trip, and forgot to put the oil cap back on. (Don't think that is related?)  

After driving about 2 miles today, I got bunch of orange lights on the dash,  Tyre pressure, power steering and EPC. The car was ruining but seemed to not be able to move.

After turning off and on again, I get the EPC and Motor light come on, and a rapid clicking noise. but the engine doesn't start.

I managed to pull it out of gear and push it onto the driveway, but now it wont move.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

Brin

Sounds power related mate battery issues ? 

Does sound like a knackered battery to me, too. (They hate worn batteries). The oil cap missing though, could not have done the car any good. I am surprised the car did not smell foul and send up smoke/misty oil through the filler cap hole. The levels may also have plunged, pressure may have been affected, etc.

12 hours ago, Tech1e said:

A fault code check would be the way to start rather than all this guessing.

Don’t start this mate I can tell without even diagnosing it , it’s either a loose battery connection or the battery’s goosed or the alternator isn’t charging the battery a simple battery tester would

suffice 

Just now, thomasaspin said:

Don’t start this mate I can tell without even diagnosing it , it’s either a loose battery connection or the battery’s goosed or the alternator isn’t charging the battery a simple battery tester would

suffice 

You can tell without even diagnosing it? But then rattle off a list possibilities that require diagnosis lol

Also I am not your ‘mate’ and don’t appreciate the aggressive tone. 

• Like 1

Thanks All.  

Yes it is the original battery, on a 60 plate. so nearly 10 years old.

I spoke to A friend who said they had had the exact issue on a Yeti and it went away after a new battery. 

I have a oil cap and Battery ordered.  Will post again with the results this week.  

Cheers all.

Brin

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

You can tell without even diagnosing it? But then rattle off a list possibilities that require diagnosis lol

Also I am not your ‘mate’ and don’t appreciate the aggressive tone. 

I’m not being funny but

1 how can you scan the obd if the battery is goosed

2 maybe the op doesn’t have an obd scanner and the battery is a consumable part and having had the same issue myself I knew what the op was trying to portray as did the other three people who commented saying it was the same thing 

3 I’ve tinkered around with the Fabia vrs mk2 for years I knew practically every fault under the sun As everyone knows they are prone to faults 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

@thomasaspin

In 6 years you have learned so much.

I guess back then even you could have guessed at a flat battery or loose terminal.   Usually the first thing anyone tries.

Well being as mine is running well over 300BHP with water meth fitted front mount intercooler hybrid turbo and all ancillaries by me?  I would say I’ve learned a lot in six years  enough to know a goosed battery or loose connection when I hear one 🤣😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Brin

Is the new battery fitted and the car started and the lights out?

There was a problem with the battery order, so it hasn't arrived yet! hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
(Also noticed that my windscreen was cracked!  It was fine when I drove it on Sunday, but when checking the battery fittings i noticed a 10 inch crack in the drivers eye line! no chip or other damage, so no idea what caused it.  That is being replaced tomorrow.)

Success.  New Battery solved the problem. 
Thanks to those above who pointed me at.

Added a video for others who may stumble upon this...

Excuse the Dusty car.  It really is a clean car, although the dust and state of the Engine bay may not convince you.

(Screen shot of the battery I bought as well...)

Edited by Brin
  • Like 1

Does your car use oil much when there is an Oil Filler cap on?

?

Do you use 5w 40 FS (VW502) rather than 5w 30 FS III (VW504/507) ?

A bit of a tidy of the rust about the battery bolt and engine compartment would not go wrong.

Edited by e-Roottoot

No,  Update, I found the filler cap next to the battery, so now I have two of them :D

It doesnt use much oil use at all, Just checked it again now, and its half way up the dip stick "Safe zone" I assume the warning was from the battery disconnect as the clock was also reset..?
I think I use the recomended Oil... Although it may have been 0-40 as they didnt have the one I needed last time...  not sure what I have now.

The Oil Capacity is only 3.6 litres, so half up the cross hatch is not much oil if that is checked when cold.

The Oil should be checked at Operating Temperature so above 80*oC. near 90 is better, then after a few minutes stopped.

Near or in the Area A is good. When hot,

half up the cross hatch when cold is not good, it should be as high as when hot or higher.

All the oil drains back down. 

When the correct quantity of oil is in then knowing where that is when cold makes sense.

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.5746f03ffe42330ea876d88a82beca56.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

The Oil Capacity is only 3.6 litres, so half up the cross hatch is not much oil if that is checked when cold.

The Oil should be checked at Operating Temperature so above 80*oC. near 90 is better, then after a few minutes stopped.

Near or in the Area A is good. When hot, not when cold or warm. 

When the correct quantity of oil is in then knowing where that is when cold makes sense.

ok, Thanks, Will keep an eye on it.

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Does your car use oil much when there is an Oil Filler cap on?

?

Do you use 5w 40 FS (VW502) rather than 5w 30 FS III (VW504/507) ?

A bit of a tidy of the rust about the battery bolt and engine compartment would not go wrong.

Apology accepted! #batterygate

• Groan 1