Heater Blower Motor or Resistor?

S00perb

18 minutes ago, Wino said:

There's a direct connection from switch to motor when the switch is in position 4, max fan speed, so that would seem to rule out the resistor as the probable fault.  You've checked the fuse, presumably?

TBH there are so many fuse plans I can't work out which fuse it would be

Thanks all

I am in the fortunate position to own 2 virtually identical cars, so I swooped out the unit that worked and mixed and matched parts with the bust unit.

As it is the more expensive climate conmtrol I wanted to know if it was the fan or the controller that was bust - it was the fan. Stuck solid

So I forced it round, added WD40 and - it now works!!

So just answering this one myself in case anyone else has the same issue -

1- take it out (see youtube vid from 2:16 - DO NOT follow any vid that has instructions if they show you taking the whole glove compartment off - this job is as easy as changing the pollen filter)

2- see if the fan is stuck and wont go round

3- if it is the fan - add WD40 where you see the shaft

4- spin it by hand a bit - if stuck - force it - you have nothing to loose now! Hold each end - the blades should go round

5- repeat 3 and 4

6 plug it in and see what happens

Should just work

Worth the £100+ alternative solution

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/09/2020 at 00:33, S00perb said:

Thanks all

I am in the fortunate position to own 2 virtually identical cars, so I swooped out the unit that worked and mixed and matched parts with the bust unit.

As it is the more expensive climate conmtrol I wanted to know if it was the fan or the controller that was bust - it was the fan. Stuck solid

So I forced it round, added WD40 and - it now works!!

So just answering this one myself in case anyone else has the same issue -

1- take it out (see youtube vid from 2:16 - DO NOT follow any vid that has instructions if they show you taking the whole glove compartment off - this job is as easy as changing the pollen filter)

2- see if the fan is stuck and wont go round

3- if it is the fan - add WD40 where you see the shaft

4- spin it by hand a bit - if stuck - force it - you have nothing to loose now! Hold each end - the blades should go round

5- repeat 3 and 4

6 plug it in and see what happens

Should just work

Worth the £100+ alternative solution

This worked for me also. i had purchased and fitted a second hand blower unit 6 weeks ago which stopped working yesterday. i did as above to the seized unit i had originally taken out and swapped it back and it is working again.i also freed up the second hand unit taken out and its working too so have a spare if needed in the future.If i had seen this post 6 weeks ago i would not have purchased the second hand unit but still its great to get blower up and running again and i have a spare which is a lot cheaper than a new unit.Thanks so much for the advice.Cheers

10 hours ago, farmerjoe said:

This worked for me also. i had purchased and fitted a second hand blower unit 6 weeks ago which stopped working yesterday. i did as above to the seized unit i had originally taken out and swapped it back and it is working again.i also freed up the second hand unit taken out and its working too so have a spare if needed in the future.If i had seen this post 6 weeks ago i would not have purchased the second hand unit but still its great to get blower up and running again and i have a spare which is a lot cheaper than a new unit.Thanks so much for the advice.Cheers

Good to hear. My is still freeand working so it isn't just a short fix/solution. I think it was donw to the fact I didn't change the pollen filter in years.