Timing Belt Replacement

mpm222

Changed timing belt on new Roomster 1.9 TDI PD, BSW, 59800 miles, 6 years 10 months belt run.

Tensioner not on original setting due to belt stretch? Belt was a Dayco (VW marks) all parts in good condition. Replaced with Gate's, tensioner made in Turkey, all previous made in Canada!

Next time will consider changing with Dayco. I have always used Gate's for the last 30 years.

received_2747227515604910.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Tensioner will shift even after you rotate the engine to check the new belt is OK, this is even more true for newer 1.6/2.0 diesels.  Yes, the belt will stretch a little with age, but half of the difference shown could be normal tensioner swing.

I replaced the belt and the water pump on my Roomster 1.6TDI a year ago due to badly leaking water pump, made 3 attempts to set the tension as per factory service manual and always it shifted to different to what I had set after rotating the belt.

Only then I found online a later date factory service manual telling me not to bother about it.  

Regarding Dayco vs Gates vs other brands, any kit will do so long as it is undamaged. I ordered a beautiful Dayco belt+all rollers kit from amazon, good price, only on arrival the main tensioner roller had 2 deep scratches on the belt's running surface. Sent it back and went with INA kit and Dayco belt, not so nice but undamaged. 15k miles later still works fine.