Rear lights

Matmacka

It's to make more money!

The latest 'look' is important to some buyers, and they'll pay for the latest features including LED headlights, tail lights and the latest fad, the dynamic indicators.

The partial or full 'C' shape rear lights i.e. low and high functionality is to encourage buyers to add options to their car and spend more money. It's called business.

If the lack of the full 'C' isn't to your taste, pay the money and go for the upgrade when ordering new.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

It's to make more money!

The latest 'look' is important to some buyers, and they'll pay for the latest features including LED headlights, tail lights and the latest fad, the dynamic indicators.

The partial or full 'C' shape rear lights i.e. low and high functionality is to encourage buyers to add options to their car and spend more money. It's called business.

If the lack of the full 'C' isn't to your taste, pay the money and go for the upgrade when ordering new.

again you seem to not be taking note of anything thats been said! I have test drove one with no matrix lights or camera and they had this feature, im paying for what i test drove not half of my lights missing, had i off known then i may of paid. Also was ordered from new and was no option of this. Tbh your starting go go way of topic, i asked a simple question and even others are confused. 

1 hour ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

But I wasn't informed about that. All of the images I was presented did not show that.

exactly same here, some people just presume .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matmacka said:

again you seem to not be taking note of anything thats been said! I have test drove one with no matrix lights or camera and they had this feature, im paying for what i test drove not half of my lights missing, had i off known then i may of paid. Also was ordered from new and was no option of this. Tbh your starting go go way of topic, i asked a simple question and even others are confused. 

Why are you getting angry with me, it isn't my fault that you didn't do your research before buying the car. Never trust a car salesman.

Skoda UK make it clear that both the SE L and SE L First Edition as standard get the 'Low Functionality' rear lights, so no LED strips on the boot.

Here it is in black and white...

image.png.2ee31ab0683398db9c7d19187ce69bc8.png

As I've already mentioned, to get the full LED strip you need either the Matrix headlights or the rear camera. The Octavia you've seen with the full strip either had the Matrix headlights and/or the rear camera, or it's a press/launch car with some extra coding tweaks, who know, who cares.

As for going off topic, you claimed it didn't make sense as to why Skoda have done what they've done by offering different rear lighting configurations and I offered you my opinion, they've done it for years as have most other manufacturers.

I understand you're upset, but don't take it out on those trying to help you.

Edited by silver1011

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Why are you getting angry with me, it isn't my fault that you didn't do your research before buying the car. Never trust a car salesman.

Skoda UK make it clear that both the SE L and SE L First Edition as standard get the 'Low Functionality' rear lights, so no LED strips on the boot.

Here it is in black and white...

image.png.2ee31ab0683398db9c7d19187ce69bc8.png

As I've already mentioned, to get the full LED strip you need either the Matrix headlights or the rear camera. The Octavia you've seen with the full strip either had the Matrix headlights and/or the rear camera, or it's a press/launch car with some extra coding tweaks, who know, who cares.

As for going off topic, you claimed it didn't make sense as to why Skoda have done what they've done by offering different rear lighting configurations and I offered you my opinion, they've done it for years as have most other manufacturers.

I understand you're upset, but don't take it out on those trying to help you.

yeah ok pal. Clearly not getting my point, and if this is how you go on with other posts im surprised anyone dares ask a question or make a comment, and yea your correct its your opinion, not fact! 

thanks

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Without wishing to inflame the situation, I think the issue here is your replies, no matter how well intentioned they were, came across as a bit patronising. There are a lot of us here that research for ages before pulling the trigger to buy a new car but at the end of the day the brochures and the internet only tell you so much and there are circumstances  where some of us have driven / seen vehicles without the features that you've mentioned and yet still have the rear lights that go across to the boot.

As we're seeing in some of the other topics on this particular forum, there seem to be a few small glitches on the new Octavia especially on some of the early cars so this may be part of that I don't know.

One thing that I've always liked about this site is friendliness and the ability to ask a question without ridicule. As I said, I'm sure that a long standing member such as yourself who has answered some of my questions in the past didn't mean to get into an 'argument' with a fellow Skoda owner just seeking clarification over a query on their car.

Let's hope this might be a glitch rather than a case for Mulder and Scully. :D

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fishcann said:

Without wishing to inflame the situation, I think the issue here is your replies, no matter how well intentioned they were, came across as a bit patronising. There are a lot of us here that research for ages before pulling the trigger to buy a new car but at the end of the day the brochures and the internet only tell you so much and there are circumstances  where some of us have driven / seen vehicles without the features that you've mentioned and yet still have the rear lights that go across to the boot.

As we're seeing in some of the other topics on this particular forum, there seem to be a few small glitches on the new Octavia especially on some of the early cars so this may be part of that I don't know.

One thing that I've always liked about this site is friendliness and the ability to ask a question without ridicule. As I said, I'm sure that a long standing member such as yourself who has answered some of my questions in the past didn't mean to get into an 'argument' with a fellow Skoda owner just seeking clarification over a query on their car.

Let's hope this might be a glitch rather than a case for Mulder and Scully. :D

think thats the issue, anyway glad someone else understands im just confuse by it all haha, hopefully the dealers will get back to me by tuesday as to whats going on and finally have answers! Then can let everyone know and then thats that

• Thanks 1

It's the internet, the written word is harder to apply context to compared to that of the spoken word, no need for the hostility when others are trying to help.

The OP asked if their lack of the rear LED strip was normal. I responded by suggesting that it was, and supporting my response with evidence direct from Skoda UK's website. No guessing, no assuming.

I then suggested that Skoda have done this and continue to do this with other models, including the Superb and Kodiaq, all in an effort to upsell.

Skoda don't help themselves with their poor online content and downloadable literature, but in this example it is clear that neither the SE L or SEL First Edition are equipped as standard with high functionality LED rear lights in the UK. Perhaps there are other options over and above the reverse camera and Matrix headlights that are packaged together with the high functionality LED rear lights, I'd offer a guess but don't want to be accused of "causing confusion".

If the plan was to always approach the dealer for clarity then why post on Briskoda if you don't like or believe the responses from other members?

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

It's the internet, the written word is harder to apply context to compared to that of the spoken word, no need for the hostility when others are trying to help.

The OP asked if their lack of the rear LED strip was normal. I responded by suggesting that it was, and supporting my response with evidence direct from Skoda UK's website. No guessing, no assuming.

I then suggested that Skoda have done this and continue to do this with other models, including the Superb and Kodiaq, all in an effort to upsell.

Skoda don't help themselves with their poor online content and downloadable literature, but in this example it is clear that neither the SE L or SEL First Edition are equipped as standard with high functionality LED rear lights in the UK. Perhaps there are other options over and above the reverse camera and Matrix headlights that are packaged together with the high functionality LED rear lights, I'd offer a guess but don't want to be accused of "causing confusion".

If the plan was to always approach the dealer for clarity then why post on Briskoda if you don't like or believe the responses from other members?

I took it to skoda after my post ( was not always my plan and even if it was so what!!??) i and thought id let people know as others are confused so i can let them know what my dealer says, so again not allowed to post on here because i took to a dealer?? Ok pal, done talking to you now you come across way to arrogant for my liking.

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I answered your questions, you didn't like the answers. I'm done helping the ungrateful.

well you gave your opinion, i appreciate that, what i dont appreciate is ramming it down my throat and moan i even asked the question, and awesome bye 👏🏻

35 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Maybe now is the time to see what the dealer has to say on how it can be resolved as this thread seems to have surpassed the annual allowance of allowable Briskoda animosity. :thumbup:

already with the dealer should hear back in a few days hopefully

So i got my car back today and seems my lights do go all the way however.... its an option to have them turned on 🤦‍♂️ They say the reason some people have them (for free) and others dont is because..... “certain cars have just come with different features” hence why some have the blinds, some have the lights run all the way and some have the electric boot button on drivers door, even though they dint pay for optional extras they were just a bonus, so im guessing then rather then paying them someone with vcds can turn them on, never heard so much bs in all my life 😂 but it is what it is, apart from that i must say im loving the car! 

• Thanks 1

Interesting - I half expected you to come back from the dealer having been told that there were actually no LEDs fitted under the boot lid cover strip! So possibly could just be ‘switched on’ via VCDS then. I wonder if that goes for the scrolling indicators too?

1 hour ago, SUTTS said:

Interesting - I half expected you to come back from the dealer having been told that there were actually no LEDs fitted under the boot lid cover strip! So possibly could just be ‘switched on’ via VCDS then. I wonder if that goes for the scrolling indicators too?

yes this is my thinking too! The scrolling indicators are part of the matrix lights system thats an extra £1300 possibly more i cant remember, but im hoping i can get someone with VCDS to take a look, if its done and working will post back to let others know

13 minutes ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

Scrolling indicators are different, but for this light bar. Ha!

I think there are a lot more options turned off. VAG for you. Jesus.

yes theres a few more turned off like the hey laura i read you can change her name yet thats blanked out on mine and also u can have more ambient colour for £44!! Im guessing this can also be turned on with VCDS as well as sports screen on dash thats also missing 

8 hours ago, Matmacka said:

yes theres a few more turned off like the hey laura i read you can change her name yet thats blanked out on mine and also u can have more ambient colour for £44!! Im guessing this can also be turned on with VCDS as well as sports screen on dash thats also missing 

I have Ambient light as standard. I have the 8'5 inch screen so Android Auto for me 😄

But the lights...I want those now.

52 minutes ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

I have Ambient light as standard. I have the 8'5 inch screen so Android Auto for me 😄

But the lights...I want those now.

i also have the ambient lighting but if you go tot he shop on your infotainment you can buy more colours for £44 im guessing can be added via VCDS 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, Fabtavia said:

I just got my SEL FE  and also am annoyed by this. Has anyone managed to get the boot lights turned on ? seems ridiculous  to have them there and not be activated 

nope ive seen some with them on though

On 01/10/2020 at 20:38, Matmacka said:

i also have the ambient lighting but if you go tot he shop on your infotainment you can buy more colours for £44 im guessing can be added via VCDS 

It must be an option in rev. B of the HW as I don't have it in Rev. A... Not that I would like to buy any :)

• 1 year later...

Here is the update on this topic. I went to Skoda official dealer and they were really attentive. After they connected my Octavia to VCDS they said by the Software they got from Skoda they do not have option to turn those lights. But they "unofficially" told me it is possible that lights could be turned on in some other work shop with VCDS which does not have that "official" Skoda software, but I should avoid doing it until my guaranty period.  They noticed wieres, but Skoda dealer did not want to disassemble the rear light in order to check if there really exist LED bulb in the boot.  

If someone have some other positive experience I would please share. This really annoy me. 

And @Matmacka could you please shere photo of your rear light. Just to check is it the same as mine.