byebye rs?

daz8os

Hi all. I think it may be time to say goodbye to my old 03 vrs and look for a replacement. It's been a brilliant car. I bought it at 6 months old and its only recently started needing major repairs.

In the last year or so it has had a new oil pump and a clutch (conversion to single flywheel).

The drivers window and most central locking is acting up.

It's just come from its mot with a long list including brakes and lots of advisories.

I am considering a two year vrs 245.

Has anyone got one of these and are they good?

Cheers.

Bah - I'm in a similar position regarding MOT woes but think I try to get another couple of years out of it.  Mainly fairly straightforward stuff like tyres, brakes, springs, shocks and a full exhaust, but the rear door lock is foxing me at the moment!

:sweat:

I wish I had looked after mine more.

All the alloys are really bad as well and theres rust on the bottom of both wings.

It was off the road for quite a while when both front springs had broken which probaby didn't do it any good.

I was suprised at the road tax on a 245 - its £150 compared to £305 for the mark 1.

All the time I've had it its never had a scrape or bang though.

IMG_0785.JPG

• Administrators
5 hours ago, daz8os said:

I wish I had looked after mine more.

All the alloys are really bad as well and theres rust on the bottom of both wings.

It was off the road for quite a while when both front springs had broken which probaby didn't do it any good.

I was suprised at the road tax on a 245 - its £150 compared to £305 for the mark 1.

All the time I've had it its never had a scrape or bang though.

It’ll sell, there’s always someone who wants one of these. People that know about them, love them.

What's the mileage and what's the list of issues from the MOT? Did it fail or is it just advisories?

It looks tidy enough to be worth saving from that photo.

I've been close to replacing mine a few times (including very recently) but I just can't seem to do it! It's difficult to replace it with something as practical, quick and cheap to run.

Sorry for the late reply. Its done just over 84,000

I decided to get it through the mot. The fails were mostly to do with the handrake operation which needed calipers freeing and new brake cables and a few small parts.

Also a driveshaft boot had to be replaced. It cost just under £300 so wasnt too bad.

The advisories -

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (i))
  • Offside Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Upper Macpherson strut pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))  
  • Like 1

• Administrators

With the above it isn't to bad at all, in this case I think it's just the age of the car and the 'expected' general maintenance. That wouldn't be enough for me to justify getting rid of it.

84k, barely run in!

As above there's nothing major there. The things in the minor defects section are easily DIYable - there are threads on here about replacing rear numberplate lights and YouTube videos about replacing track rod ends. The rod ends themselves are cheap (I just bought a pair from GSF for ~£24) but the tracking should be checked & adjusted after. If the track rod ends have never been changed or your tracking hasn't been adjusted in the last few years they could be a bit seized on though.

The top mount ("Front Upper Macpherson strut pin or bush") is cheap parts-wise but a bit more labour intensive than the track rod ends and the tracking should also be checked/adjusted after doing that.

1 hour ago, petrolbloke said:

If the track rod ends have never been changed or your tracking hasn't been adjusted in the last few years they could be a bit seized on though.

thats that the plusgas is for init??

38 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

It's good stuff and has no doubt helped me a number of times but it has its limits!

thats when you get the angle grinder...

or at least a blow torch for some warmth ;)

On my 3rd one, best car Ive ever had when considering all factors.  Ive had 'better' cars, but all things considered this is my favourite, the combination of quick enough, comfortable, cheap to run, enormous boot etc is simply hard to beat.   Glad to hear you've decided to keep yours (although Id probably have had it off you in a heart beat! :D)  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all, just an update on my vrs. I still have it but its sitting on the drive after failing another mot.

I decided against a new vrs and have a 1.4tsi now. (don't really like it very boring although as had no faults or problems).

Just wondering how many mk1s are left now.

I'd like to get this back on the road but the garage I take it too haven't got back to me with a price to fix it yet.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/skoda_octavia_rs

At the moment this says <1200 taxed and just under 800 SORN. Some of the SORN ones might never make it back on the road though (accident damage or broken for spares and scrapped).

What's the mileage now and what's the failure/advisory list? Where abouts are you located?

Hopefully it can be saved from the scrap heap!

Hi, mileage is somewhere around 88,000. There was a big list of advisories on last mot in september 2021.

The garage I take it to had a look before attempting MOT and found quite a lot and was going to price it up for me but hasn't got back to me yet.

I'm in Derby area. I would like to keep it on the road, just kicking myself I haven't kept on top of things.

Another garage said they may be able to have a look after christmas.

It's been sitting on the drive for most of this year but started up ok and drove to and from the garage.

Thanks for the replies petrolbloke,

This is from last years MOT !

I still haven't heard from the first garage and haven't had an MOT as such this year.

View test location
MOT test number
6363 6482 2503
Expiry date
24 September 2022
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
  • Nearside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Windscreen damaged but not adversely affecting driver's view Stone chip (3.2 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (i))
  • Offside Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Rear Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Axle pipe (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Axle pipe (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Front Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 205/50ZR17 93w (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Upper Macpherson strut pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Upper Macpherson strut pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake lever slow to return
  • Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Am still going to try the other garage after Christmas.

Looks like a scary list but some of the things might just be from a very picky tester. I've found there to be a huge difference in what testers do and don't pick up on. Sometimes I've had advisories that I don't think are actually worth doing anything about.

Rear number plate light is a bit fiddly to do but not expensive. Some corrosion related advisories there - things some testers would advise on and others would not. Haven't seen/heard of common issues with subframe bushes on these so again might be due to a picky tester. Tyres will be £150-200 a pair fitted - I put 225/45/17s on mine as they are slightly cheaper and there's more choice. Front suspension bushes (wishbones and top mounts) will probably benefit from being done but if they are still just advisories then get it through the MOT first then consider getting them done after. Mine has actually had advisories for those (top mount on N/S and bush on O/S) but I don't think there's actually anything wrong.

If I were in your shoes I'd do all the easy DIY checks (lights, wipers, fluids, tyre tread and pressure) then just take it for an MOT and see what's what. Give it a good wash first so it at least looks a bit cared for even if it's been a bit neglected. Good luck!

Hi, thanks again for the great advice. I'm not sure my usual mot garage wants to do the work as it's only a small place with not much parking (they have always been good though which is why I go there).

I'm going to try the other garage after christmas and will update :)

• Like 1