Should I buy high mileage Citigo ?

urbanwombles

Hello team 

looking at buying 2014 Citigo with 124,000 miles on the clock 

I previous company owner service history 

for £2000 as out second car .

unsure about cam belt ? When it would need changing ?

clutch ? And costs .

any advice or help would be very grateful.

Unless a belt change has been documented, I'd assume you'd be best changing it....

Clutch may be fine - try it, if no slip or noises then no need to do anything. Depends on whether 124K miles are town or motorway miles!

For £2K I might look at other cars with lower mileages....

Edited by freemansteve
  • Like 1

If 1 owner / 1 registered keeper but no idea how many drivers because maybe a Hire Car or Meter Readers car the Service History should show what the History of servicing was.

Is it 11 or 12 Oil & filter changes. 

Twice or 3 times brake fluid changes, a few Air, pollen filters and spark plug changes, then what else?

I don't see the high miles as a problem for the engine, as long as the car has been serviced properly.

High mileage can take it's toll on other things, like suspension components (springs, dampers, rubber bushes, steering joints), but most of those are reasonably cheap to replace.

The clutch would be one worry, if the car has done a lot of town driving.

Before getting my Citigo (now replaced with a Kia Picanto GT-Line S turbo), I had a 2007 Fiat Panda 1.3 diesel, close to 120k miles on the clock, and had lead a very hard life looking at the condition of the interior and bodywork.

The engine and gearbox worked fine though, as did the rest of the running gear. It did suffer from a few electrical glitches (normal for a Panda at half the mileage), and the clutch was a bit iffy. 

It all comes down to price. For £2k, I'd rather have a high mileage (but cared for) Citigo than an older, lower miles, Panda/Citroen/Peugeot/Fiesta/Corsa etc.

I might consider an older, lower miles,  Japanese car though, like a Micra, Jazz or Yaris, as an alternative to the Citigo.

unsure about cam belt ? When it would need changing ?

VW (designers and manufacturers of the CHYA/B engines) recommend inspection of the cambelt at 240 000km (160k miles) and to replace if worn. Water pump is belt driven off the gearbox end of the exhaust camshaft.  Cambelt is PTFE reinforced and the cam gears are tri-oval, so wear isn't the problem that it was on previous engines.

Clutch wear is pretty much relevant to previous use and whether the driver has been kind to the transmission.

Cheers...Snaefell

cambelt.jpg

• Like 1