Number plate lights blown! 2008 Roomster scout 1.9tdi

Ok so checking my number plate lights, i notice they arent working. So time to investigate, off with the covers and lo and behold both bulbs are a silvery colour (indicating blown)

Consulting the fuse box Fuse 17 is for parking light and license plate light so 

1 check fuse == ok 

2 remove fuse parking light and license plate should be off? ummm nope parking light left still works! but weirldy no license plate light?

3 Check power on license plate connectors with fuse in and switched on both with ignition on and off ( with the little bong going) lol ummm nothing   

So lets just try fuse 18 just in case umm same results as line above lol 

weirdest thing of all and maybe im doing things wrong with my multimeter across the fuse (the two bare metal pieces) i get 0.08 on my meter set at Ohms which says to me the fuse is ok ?

Any ideas would be grateful 

T.I.A

kim

Cheers bobspark will give that a go when it stops effing raining. I was also wondering was it worth taking off the inner rear panel of hatch to see if there is a connector there that mifght have come loose?

Ok sussed it well done Bobspark you were right two wires in the rubber boot were faulty. One was broken and the other had become unsheathed,remedy was fairly easy unclip the boot top end by squeezing (like normal plug) and a gentle aid with screwdriver and i was left with the boot being detached, then a little trick i learnt (save tearing the boot open) peel away the white plastic clip (its like a square) from the boot, it then enables you to turn back the concertina type boot back on itself to enable you to get near the wires.

Here comes the fiddly bit because of the Tailgate piston being in the way i couldn't crimp on new connecting leads, so i decided to bare the faulty  wires back and solder in place two new "joining" wires. Slide a rubber sleeve over them to protect them, unroll the boot, place the boot over the white plastic retaining ring, push back in place.

Hey presto fixed yippeee.

• Like 1