Real world VRS economy

On general day to day stuff, mostly the 6 miles each way trip to work and back, plus any shopping trips are returning a 29.9 mpg on Super Unleaded (97).

It does go up a bit more of I venture onto the A3 or M25 (aka magic roundabout) at quiet times. Best I've had is ~44mpg on a trip to Somerset with a light foot and light traffic. 

I have the 245 challenge estate dsg. I’ve only done just under 10k in it as covid has slowed my miles but long term average is 30mpg. Slightly better in the summer than winter. Most trips are either 18 miles motorway commute or longer family trips. Even with my wife using it around town over the last 6 months it sits at similar mpg.

on a couple of trips I’ve sat at 65mph to see what it would do and it nears 40mpg but I soon get bored of that.

I have never got more than 300 miles before the fuel light comes on.

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Most out of a tank for me is 359 and it said I had 25 miles left, but I wasn't brave enough to find (test) out the accuracy of the fuel range system. 

Wow. I get about 500 miles on average till the refill light comes on and still have about 40ish miles left to a tank, but then mine is diesel.

Did have it in Eco mode for a the longer motorway and dual carriageway stretches and there were a few 50 mph restrictions with SPECS on them, Guildford - Nottingham via M40, A43 and M1, then Nottingham - Kidderminster (for the SVR) - Worcester - Cheltenham (for the GWR) - Swindon - Reading - Guildford via M4, A329M and A322, it was when it got near Brookwood that it started flagging up about fuel, so I filled up at the JS supermarket. 🙂

And a good few sections were done non stop (no toilet/food breaks etc). 359 otc at Brookwood, with hindsight I think I could have made it back the last 12 or so miles easily. 

Edited by TheWanderer

I do a similar commute to you,Country  lanes fast a road etc. 
can normally top 40mpg on the trip computer. 
done over 5000miles now in mine, uni moves so fully loaded and a few holidays fully loaded. Also some solo “fun” trips and I have averaged 37mpg which I think is very good for the grin I get. 
Petrol 230 DSG Est. 

The concensus of a general consumption of 30 mpg for shorter urban journeys and 40 mpg on longer highway journeys with a 2.0tsi engine has remained pretty consistent for the six years I have been on Briskoda.

If the engine has been mapped, and likely bypasses emission regulations, then there is potential for 50 mpg on highways with average 60mph speeds.

10k miles a year at 30 mpg at current UK petrol prices is about £1800.

It all rather depends on your priorities but I don't think you buy a 2.0tsi for economy.

If you buy a diesel and do loads of short trips, then I think that you could be opening yourself up to engine issues with limp home mode and regen problems. 

If you do decent runs to/from work or regular longer distance, motorway and dual carriageway stuff, then diesel may well be a viable option. 

But if you are doing mostly short trips and town centre driving and infrequent longer distance journeys then a petrol engined car would be more appropriate.

• Like 3

Over the last 5 years I've had a 220 VRS and 245 VRS, both have been around 30mph overall average. Heres the result of my longest trip for a while, made up of motorway, A road and some local town driving. Overall my 245 seems to be slightly better than the 220 was, its DSG but I dont know if that's a positive or a negative for economy

20201009_113254.jpg

• 3 years later...

Not sure if theres a more recent thread on this but on my commute to work this morning I thought I would try and drive a bit gentler. I put it in Eco mode but switched off the auto stop / start as i dont like that so much and got 48mpg.

Was cross country with a short section of motorway (three junctions of the M11) The rest was country roads through Cambs with a few junctions and roundabouts.

Car is a 2020 petrol VRS 245 with DSG. I was really impressed with that fuel consumption!!

20240425_095103.jpg

Edited by superluminal

46 minutes ago, superluminal said:

Not sure if theres a more recent thread on this but on my commute to work this morning I thought I would try and drive a bit gentler. I put it in Eco mode but switched off the auto stop / start as i dont like that so much and got 48mpg.

Was cross country with a short section of motorway (three junctions of the M11) The rest was country roads through Cambs with a few junctions and roundabouts.

Car is a 2020 petrol VRS 245 with DSG. I was really impressed with that fuel consumption!!

20240425_095103.jpg

I agree that is pretty reasonable for a vRS but when you look at the average speed (39 mph) then I start to ask if a vRS the best car if you are looking for reasonable consumption?

Without knowing the route in detail, my guess is that lesser engined versions (1.0tsi, 1.5tsi, 1.4tsi) would achieve far better than 50mpg with a similar driving profile and a lot less 'effort'.

Would be interesting, if you had the opportunity, to compare results for the same journey same style with the car in 'Normal ' mode rather than 'Eco'. Not everyone has found 'eco' to actually be more economical for them.

I think the rationale is that not everyone uses coasting to best effect compared to being better practiced at utilising engine braking.

Edited by Gerrycan

6 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I agree that is pretty reasonable for a vRS but when you look at the average speed (39 mph) then I start to ask if a vRS the best car if you are looking for reasonable consumption?

Without knowing the route in detail, my guess is that lesser engined versions (1.0tsi, 1.5tsi, 1.4tsi) would achieve far better than 50mpg with a similar driving profile and a lot less 'effort'.

Would be interesting, if you had the opportunity, to compare results for the same journey same style with the car in 'Normal ' mode rather than 'Eco'. Not everyone has found 'eco' to actually be more economical for them.

I think the rationale is that not everyone uses coasting to best effect compared to being better practiced at utilising engine braking.

Good points! It took a concious amount of effort to drive with that level of economy. It was only curiosity (combined with commuting boredom) that I thought Id try to see what I could get out of it if I actively tried drive economically. Its actually quite taxing - ive never used the eco setting before but noticed it was switching the engine off when I could lift off the throttle and coast for a bit which I found a bit disconcerting so disabled it. I dont really rag it but do try to drive with a sense of purpose normally on that commute and would typically average around 38-39mpg on the run in "normal" mode.

I'd be interested to see if anyones averaged 50mpg over a similar length run of say an hour and a half as I think I might be able to eek another .5mpg if i really tried and kept the auto stop start thing on.

• Like 1

On a TSI engine, it all depends on driving style in all honesty. My (rarer) spec TSI 190 engine Octavia L&K gets 52mpg on a long run with super unleaded. On the various TSI VRS models I've owned, Ive had between 38-44mpg which is about book value.

• Like 1