Replacing right hand steering wheel control panel

MCG1975

I'm sure this won't be purely a Yeti matter as I've got the same controls on my Superb, but the right hand scroll wheel on our Yeti is intermittent to the point of non existent when you rotate it so I'm thinking I'll need to replace it, as otherwise it's impossible to use the Maxidot display.  All the push button bits work, including pushing the scroll wheel, it's just the rolling bit to select different screens that either doesn't work or requires several rotations (compared to the Superb's where it changes with every click).

I have found elsewhere on here how to remove it (prise off the surround and remove screws), but I'm not sure how simple it is to replace (ie do you have to take off air bag, does it require coding etc), and so far I've drawn a blank on finding the replacement part online.  Car is a Jan 2016 registered Yeti Outdoor SE Business, so from what I've seen has the newer style buttons compared to older threads I've found.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Airbag will need to come off first.

Both sets of button and the interconnecting plastic trim come off together.

You can then unscrew the buttons from the plastic trim.

I don't think they sell the buttons as individuals so you'll need to replace both. They shouldn't need coding if you get the right part number.

Might be worth taking the buttons apart and checking for dirt/grim etc first though :)

• Like 1

Disconnect the battery overnight if you intend to remove the airbag - you'll also need a wide(ish) short handled screwdriver and a small mirror to be able to see the catches that need to be released

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - think I'll have to have a look at how to remove the air-bag, something that fills me slightly with dread in terms of it going off on me!  Haynes manual may be on the shopping list, along with the buttons (found one set for £99, will keep searching)!

Think it's just the scroll wheel contacts as they occasionally work, and all the other buttons are fine, so maybe I'll get lucky and can repair it!

Maybe I should swap it with the Superb's before it gets returned...!!

18 hours ago, langers2k said:

I don't think they sell the buttons as individuals so you'll need to replace both. They shouldn't need coding if you get the right part number.

Presumably to ensure I get the correct part number it's best to have a look at what I've already got on the car?  Looking online there are a few on eBay but the part numbers seem to vary ever so slightly (last digit for example).

Yup, either checking the part number printed on them or getting the car scanned with VCDS or similar should confirm the part number.

The last digit is important in the case of MFSW buttons so I'd suggest replacing like for like if possible.

2 hours ago, MCG1975 said:

Thanks everyone - think I'll have to have a look at how to remove the air-bag, something that fills me slightly with dread in terms of it going off on me!  Haynes manual may be on the shopping list, along with the buttons (found one set for £99, will keep searching)!

Think it's just the scroll wheel contacts as they occasionally work, and all the other buttons are fine, so maybe I'll get lucky and can repair it!

Maybe I should swap it with the Superb's before it gets returned...!!

Haynes have not produced a manual for the Yeti, and in the past someone asked them if they were going to do so and got a negative response.

11 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Haynes have not produced a manual for the Yeti, and in the past someone asked them if they were going to do so and got a negative response.

Yeah, I've just discovered that!!  How frustrating...

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

Yup, either checking the part number printed on them or getting the car scanned with VCDS or similar should confirm the part number.

The last digit is important in the case of MFSW buttons so I'd suggest replacing like for like if possible.

I might have to come see you at some point re VCDS then! Based on your signature you're local to me...