Travel assist steering wheel sensor faulty

Hi all!

I’ve just taken delivery of a Kodiaq L&K with the Travel Assist pack, however on delivery the dealership informed me that it’s not working because a sensor in the steering wheel is faulty. When I start the car there’s also a warning on the dash. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? I would have thought this sort of thing would be caught by quality control at some point in the manufacturing process?

It’s got the new steering wheel so maybe this has something to do with it 🤷‍♂️

Interested to hear others’ thoughts...

Pete

Funny enough my new car is back in the garage as it was delivered with a Travel Assist problem.

It has been with them since Monday and they are having problems getting it fixed apparently.

They delayed when I could collect the car because of the problem but they thought they had fixed it, but a few days later when I was collecting the car and they were showing me the controls the problem came back.

I took the car knowing it would be going back to them to be fixed and it is with them now.

It is intermittent and it just will say Travel Assist unavailable when you start the car but next time you start it is working fine.

Just need to wait and see happens and when I get the car back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

Funny enough my new car is back in the garage as it was delivered with a Travel Assist problem.

It has been with them since Monday and they are having problems getting it fixed apparently.

They delayed when I could collect the car because of the problem but they thought they had fixed it, but a few days later when I was collecting the car and they were showing me the controls the problem came back.

I took the car knowing it would be going back to them to be fixed and it is with them now.

It is intermittent and it just will say Travel Assist unavailable when you start the car but next time you start it is working fine.

Just need to wait and see happens and when I get the car back.

Yea very similar for me - dealership delayed delivery but eventually released the car with the issue. Did your garage specify what the exact issue is?

20 minutes ago, peter6edwards said:

Yea very similar for me - dealership delayed delivery but eventually released the car with the issue. Did your garage specify what the exact issue is?

Something with the camera/sensor above the rear view mirror apparently. 

The car would have an amber triangle on the dash with the travel assist icon in amber on the dash as well.

The problem was very intermittent as it seemed to be working for a few days without any fault indications and then on the way to the garage it came on while driving.

They have only had the car 3 days now but I do have a courtesy car from them.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to advise. Only a few weeks after I submitted my order, some newly available options were added, some removed and others were able to be selected on their own whereas before, you had to add other items to that pack. I was expecting a reversible boot mat as part of the family pack but it wasn't included when I collected the car. I checked the pricelist when I returned home and found it'd been updated yet again and removed the option. :wall:   

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Hopefully the dealer will be able to advise. Only a few weeks after I submitted my order, some newly available options were added, some removed and others were able to be selected on their own whereas before, you had to add other items to that pack. I was expecting a reversible boot mat as part of the family pack but it wasn't included when I collected the car. I checked the pricelist when I returned home and found it'd been updated yet again and removed the option. :wall:   

Think you have replied to the wrong topic 😂

On 04/11/2020 at 20:56, Billywizzo said:

Something with the camera/sensor above the rear view mirror apparently. 

The car would have an amber triangle on the dash with the travel assist icon in amber on the dash as well.

The problem was very intermittent as it seemed to be working for a few days without any fault indications and then on the way to the garage it came on while driving.

They have only had the car 3 days now but I do have a courtesy car from them.

I’ve done a hundred miles in the car and the Travel Assist has, in the main, been working. The only strange behaviour is that when it detects a new speed limit it sometimes believes that it’s read a metric speed limit (KMH) - it converts it to imperial and wrongly sets the speed. For example it detects 40 and sets the car’s speed to 25 - it has anchored on a couple of times, especially when dropping from 60 down to 40 (25)!

I’ve checked the units in the settings and they’re all set to imperial...

Having said all that it’s a bloody impressive car, the tech is unbelievable!

I would get that checked as mine when it worked was reading the signs correctly in mph.

Only thing I have noticed it sometimes if on an say a dual carriageway doing 70 and there is a 40 mph road parallel, it has read the speed sign for that road and slowed me down thinking that is the speed limit, I am hoping that was due to the system not working properly and when I get the car back it will be fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I’ve finally spoken with the service department at the dealership, it looks like the technician’s identified the steering wheel as faulty. They’ve got the part on back order with no ETA - I guess it’s because they’re ‘new’ steering wheels?

Anyway service guy had no idea about the ACC picking up MPH signs as KPH - he agreed it’s dangerous. They’re going to take a look at it when the part arrives...

My car is still at the dealer with the Travel Assist problem, it will have been with them for 5 weeks next week. 

They have changed the camera twice but cannot get it to calibrate and are waiting for Skoda technical for assistance.

Might get it back before Christmas but who knows.

6 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

My car is still at the dealer with the Travel Assist problem, it will have been with them for 5 weeks next week. 

They have changed the camera twice but cannot get it to calibrate and are waiting for Skoda technical for assistance.

Might get it back before Christmas but who knows.

Have they given you a courtesy car? I would be really p***ed having waited several months for delivery and then the cars in for another 5 weeks!

What spec did you buy?

3 hours ago, peter6edwards said:

Have they given you a courtesy car? I would be really p***ed having waited several months for delivery and then the cars in for another 5 weeks!

What spec did you buy? 

Yes we have had a courtesy car from them.

I have emailed them about rejecting the car due to the fault as if they can’t fix the fault in 5 weeks how long do we give them.

All we seem to get from them is they are waiting for Skoda technical to advise.

We have a 1.5 SEL with a few extras but it is the travel assist that the problem is with.

51 minutes ago, Manc-Fletch said:

Is this a problem with the new style steering wheel? I haven’t read about it before on this site and these all new cars. 

Not 100% sure but I would guess so... I think the new style steering wheel has different sensors for picking up when your hands are the wheel - obs this is an important part of the travel assist system. I'll let you know when they finally get the part in...

• Like 1

Finally been told the travel assist problem has been sorted and should be getting our car back next week.

They just want to do a final test drive on Monday and then we can pick it up. 🤞

It has only been with them for 6 weeks next week, only actually had the car in our possession for a week since we picked it up on the 24th of October.

Just have to wait and see what compensation they are prepared to offer us.

• 2 weeks later...

Still not got the car back from the dealer and now into week 7 of them trying to sort out the travel assist problem.

Have finally had enough and emailed the dealer to inform them we are rejecting the car as they cannot fix it.

They had it hooked up to Skoda technical who spent yesterday afternoon remotely accessing the car but even they could not fix it and have referred it to another department in Skoda.

Ordered end of August, collected on 24th October, returned to get the fault fixed on 2nd of November ( was only meant to take 3 days ) and still waiting for it to be fixed and returned. Only had the car a week in our possession.

Not Happy

On 07/11/2020 at 21:38, peter6edwards said:

the tech is unbelievable!

You got that right!

Unbelievable that a manufacturer that from the beginning of this century was making arguably the best value and most reliable vehicles backed up with the best customer service should end up making the most unreliable vehicles and destroying their reputation by filling the vehicles with what to me is (and I know I am in the minority) senseless unecccesary b******t.

But they know what influences the buying decision & what closes the deal, if people were not so addicted to their smartphones they probably would never include gimmicks that could go wrong & bite them on the bum.

New cars being rejected right left and centre for a (mal)function that has nothing to do with the purpose of the vehicle, arguably all these rejected vehicles are "fit for the purpose" under consumer law.

You only have to look at the thread titles on the active topics page of the forum to see the way things are going, they have changed dramatically in the last 2 years.

16 hours ago, J.R. said:

You got that right!

Unbelievable that a manufacturer that from the beginning of this century was making arguably the best value and most reliable vehicles backed up with the best customer service should end up making the most unreliable vehicles and destroying their reputation by filling the vehicles with what to me is (and I know I am in the minority) senseless unecccesary b******t.

But they know what influences the buying decision & what closes the deal, if people were not so addicted to their smartphones they probably would never include gimmicks that could go wrong & bite them on the bum.

New cars being rejected right left and centre for a (mal)function that has nothing to do with the purpose of the vehicle, arguably all these rejected vehicles are "fit for the purpose" under consumer law.

You only have to look at the thread titles on the active topics page of the forum to see the way things are going, they have changed dramatically in the last 2 years.

Yea I guess that through-out time, as new technology has become available, there have been teething problems - I suspect that when the first motor cars were marketed at the turn of the last century, there were complaints of reliability versus existing technology (ie horse drawn carriages). 

IMO innovation and change is what drives us as human beings and with that comes risk and reward. In my view there are always problems / issues / faults in life - it’s how we (or in this case Škoda) respond to them. I think in @Billywizzo’s case their response is very poor. In my case, it’s fine - just an inconvenience that I can live with until repaired. 

I hope to see more innovation in the future - it will certainly drive me to make future purchases. 

Edited by peter6edwards
Typo

We spoke to the dealer today and he basically said returning the car was what he would do as they cannot say when or if the issue will be resolved.

Now we need to decide on what to do about a new car, the Kodiaq ticked every box when we were looking before so no idea what to look at next.

Billywizzo, first thing to say is that I'm sure all of us on the forum totally sympathise with your plight - and it's not a good time of year, nor a good 'pandemic' period, to have to start the search all over again for another car. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do next.

Others on this forum will no doubt add their views, but if looking for another car, you could always try and source a nearly-new Kodiaq. If you need the 7 seats, your options for an alternative vehicle will be limited, as I'm sure you know, for the £££ you might be willing to pay.

If you don't need the 7 seats, when we were looking at / test-driving cars 18 months ago, before we decided on the Kodiaq, we also considered a Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V (hybrid or plain petrol), Audi Q3, Volvo XC40, Volvo XC60. The Toyota and CR-V in particular were both totally blameless to drive, such that (a rare thing, this) my spouse declared that "if it were not for the other issues, I'd happily have this car, it's soooo easy to, well, just get in and drive it".

Hope that helps

Got a call today to say the car was fixed and did we want to keep it and cancel the rejection of the car.

We had a thought about it and have decided to have the car, so will be a happy Kodiaq owner again at the weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 18:08, Billywizzo said:

Got a call today to say the car was fixed and did we want to keep it and cancel the rejection of the car.

We had a thought about it and have decided to have the car, so will be a happy Kodiaq owner again at the weekend.

Thats great news. Did they say what they did to fix it - software update or new steering wheel?

First it was the camera above the rear view mirror needed replacing and they had trouble calibrating it, then it was a coding problem that they didn’t really explain except they could not fix it and it had to be done remotely by Skoda main technical department.

No mention of the steering wheel.

All seems good now but I have had the road signs reading the wrong speed a couple of times. While on a 70 mph road it was showing 110 so showing in kph I believe, better than showing a slower speed.

Others have had similar happen, I did let the dealer know but will probably have to wait till the new year/lockdown to end before I can chase it up.

Edited by Billywizzo