Travel assist steering wheel sensor faulty

I had my steering wheel replaced due to the same travel assist error when you turn on the heated steering wheel but the fault is still there and like before it in intermittent. 
I have now been told it is a software issue so the dealer is waiting for an update. 
I just make sure I email them every time it happens so as to keep a record of it. 

I have tried sending an e-mail to the Skoda UK Managing Director but get no response and from the dealer I get the impression that my car is the only one with this fault.

I tried changing the units to metric and took the car for a drive and surprisingly it converted mph road sign to kph, maybe Skoda have tried to be too clever with their software.

But like most that are experiencing these problems it is the lack of urgency by Skoda to fix the issue or indeed to supply regular updates to the end user. I have also been told to deal with the dealer rather than trying to resolve the issue through Skoda UK.

It would be nice to get a complete picture as to how many vehicles are suffering this issue.

1 hour ago, Cougars said:

I have tried sending an e-mail to the Skoda UK Managing Director but get no response and from the dealer I get the impression that my car is the only one with this fault.

I tried changing the units to metric and took the car for a drive and surprisingly it converted mph road sign to kph, maybe Skoda have tried to be too clever with their software.

But like most that are experiencing these problems it is the lack of urgency by Skoda to fix the issue or indeed to supply regular updates to the end user. I have also been told to deal with the dealer rather than trying to resolve the issue through Skoda UK.

It would be nice to get a complete picture as to how many vehicles are suffering this issue.

I definitely have some software problems with the car.

I have the intermittent travel assist fault with the heated steering wheel turned on, road signs in KPH sometimes and the ACC sometimes thinking I am driving on the other side of the road so slows the car down when trying to pass a car on a dual carriageway or motorway. 
All the problems are very intermittent.
I have been told that a software fix is coming to sort it all out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add, I was talking to a friend at work who has a new golf and he has some of the same issues with his car.

He gets the speedo going into Kph sometimes, has the road signs showing in Kph, he has had the sos fault and also the acc suddenly slowing the car when it will see a speed sign for a slower parallel road and think that is the speed for the road he is on, he says he gets it passing slip roads on motorways mainly.

So it looks like most of the software issues are through out the group of manufaturers, probably all using the same basic software that has the problems and adding their customisation on top.

1 hour ago, Billywizzo said:

Just to add, I was talking to a friend at work who has a new golf and he has some of the same issues with his car.

He gets the speedo going into Kph sometimes, has the road signs showing in Kph, he has had the sos fault and also the acc suddenly slowing the car when it will see a speed sign for a slower parallel road and think that is the speed for the road he is on, he says he gets it passing slip roads on motorways mainly.

So it looks like most of the software issues are through out the group of manufaturers, probably all using the same basic software that has the problems and adding their customisation on top.

Has your friend not had a software update yet ? My wife picked up a 10 month old MK 8 Golf last week and that had already had 3 software updates last year. Bit early for her to know if everything is working as it should be.

2 hours ago, olderman1 said:

Has your friend not had a software update yet ? My wife picked up a 10 month old MK 8 Golf last week and that had already had 3 software updates last year. Bit early for her to know if everything is working as it should be.

Didn't ask but if it is like mt car it may be ota updates now.

My kodiaq has had one recently but too early to see if it has actually fixed anything.

Update regarding heated steering wheel and travel assist issue. The first replacement of steering wheel didn't change anything. Few days later I got a call from the dealer, that they are going to replace my steering wheel 2nd (!) time. This time it will have different revision. This week I have got it replaced 2nd time. So far no issues with heating and travel assist, BUT this issue usually came up when it was not so warm outside. These days are quite hot, so I am not 100% sure it is fully resolved. Fingers crossed!

My car is due in at the dealer next week to have a software update!!!!!!

Since being promised assistance by Skoda UK they have gone extremely quiet and every time that I try to contact them the executives system has gone wrong. Me thinks this is head in the sand time by Skoda UK.

It must be extremely frustrating for the dealerships having to face irate customers on the one hand and an incompetent  company on the other.

Watch this space.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 13:32, Cougars said:

My car is due in at the dealer next week to have a software update!!!!!!

Did you manage to get the update? I am facing same issue and still waiting for info on update from my dealer...

Once again I have been told by the dealer that there is no software update. The dealer has had the car for over a week now and is making checks in accordance with instructions from Skoda UK technical.

There doesn't seem to be much of a clue on the issue but I did suggest that they delete all of the software and re-install but was told that it wasn't that easy.

Watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just received a message from the dealer. He has been driving my car and says the system works 99% of the time!!!!!!!!!

It's a good job this isn't a braking issue.

Maybe my expectation is wrong on an L&K model, 99% of the time it works correctly!!

5 minutes ago, Cougars said:

Maybe my expectation is wrong on an L&K model, 99% of the time it works correctly!!

Shame on you... :)  I ave already stopped to expect this system to work 100% - I just want it not to shout at me with its "Bing" every time it wants to warn me (sometimes even 4-5 times a minute)...

I know this isn’t a fix… but I was looking in the manual at the Travel Assist as I’ve ordered it for my new Kodiaq and apparently you can turn some of the ‘cleverness’ off in the settings - both the use of speed signs to set speed and the use of nav data (bends, roundabouts, etc). It’s these things that make it the Predictive ACC instead of the normal ACC.

Just thought I’d point this out in case you didn’t realise as it could make life a bit less stressful until the issues are fixed. Really hoping mine doesn’t have them now 🙄.

Yes this has been done and does mitigate the issue but maybe I am old school. If you put a system on a car then the expectation is that the system works.

For months I was led to believe that my car was a one off when in fact it is one of many and across all models, and cars are still being produced with this issue.

Customers are more likely to work with you if you tell them the truth. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is also happening in my 2021 Skoda Karoq ie heated steering wheel related causing annoying ping about Travel Assist currently unavailable. A software update done a week ago didnt resolve the issue. The dealership here dont seem to be aware of the issue. 

At some point they will tell you that a software upgrade will not be available until the end of the year.

And yes they are still building cars with this issue.

On 06/06/2021 at 04:59, Marketo said:

Update regarding heated steering wheel and travel assist issue. The first replacement of steering wheel didn't change anything. Few days later I got a call from the dealer, that they are going to replace my steering wheel 2nd (!) time. This time it will have different revision. This week I have got it replaced 2nd time. So far no issues with heating and travel assist, BUT this issue usually came up when it was not so warm outside. These days are quite hot, so I am not 100% sure it is fully resolved. Fingers crossed!

Did the 2nd steering wheel replacement resolve the issue? If you can confirm it has, I will go back to my dealer to request it.

I had my steering wheel replaced back in Jan - which ‘seemed’ to fix the Travel Assist unavailable error (although I do still get this error once or twice per month). 

What has never been fixed is the crazy flipping between metric and imperial units whilst the TA is engaged - ie the system perceiving a sign in KPH and setting the ACC to the MPH equivalent.  This can be so dangerous - on one dual carriageway near me, the speed changes from 70 to 50, this results in the ACC setting the speed to 31 MPH.  So the car throws the anchors at 70 MPH. This system also erratically believes that I’m in right hand drive mode and therefore believes I’m undertaken on motorways - again throwing the anchors on. 

It can only be a matter of time before it causes an accident…

4 minutes ago, peter6edwards said:

I had my steering wheel replaced back in Jan - which ‘seemed’ to fix the Travel Assist unavailable error (although I do still get this error once or twice per month). 

What has never been fixed is the crazy flipping between metric and imperial units whilst the TA is engaged - ie the system perceiving a sign in KPH and setting the ACC to the MPH equivalent.  This can be so dangerous - on one dual carriageway near me, the speed changes from 70 to 50, this results in the ACC setting the speed to 31 MPH.  So the car throws the anchors at 70 MPH. This system also erratically believes that I’m in right hand drive mode and therefore believes I’m undertaken on motorways - again throwing the anchors on. 

I think in Australia, the speed sign recognition is disabled but I have experienced the car slowing when a vehicle on my right is slowing down to turn off. I will likely get OBDEleven to turn this feature off as the dealership here refused to address this other than to suggest turning off ACC altogether.

15 minutes ago, peter6edwards said:

You can turn off the option for the ACC to automatically set the speed acording to the speed signs it sees.

It will still slow the car down to match a car in front and speed up to the speed you set when it is clear but won't drop the speed when it thinks the speed limit has changed.

I have turned it off and it is much better I think

14 minutes ago, viirgon said:

I think in Australia, the speed sign recognition is disabled but I have experienced the car slowing when a vehicle on my right is slowing down to turn off. I will likely get OBDEleven to turn this feature off as the dealership here refused to address this other than to suggest turning off ACC altogether.

The slowing when passing a car to your r/h side is to stop you undertaking with ACC active, all I do is blip the throttle and it ignores the cars.

I have to do that when coming off the motorway as the slip road is a long one and cars are aways in the lane to my right

Edited by Billywizzo
Spelling

3 hours ago, Billywizzo said:

The slowing when passing a car to your r/h side is to stop you undertaking with ACC active, all I do is blip the throttle and it ignores the cars.

I have to do that when coming off the motorway as the slip road is a long one and cars are aways in the lane to my right

The danger is when I am staying on the motorway and the car on the right is slowing down to turn off the motorway - the sudden slowing when I am caught unaware may result in the car behind braking hard.

56 minutes ago, viirgon said:

The danger is when I am staying on the motorway and the car on the right is slowing down to turn off the motorway - the sudden slowing when I am caught unaware may result in the car behind braking hard.

All our slip roads are on the left so usually people will have turned of the ACC when they are coming off the motorway unless the inside lane turns into the slip road like my junction.

Not sure you can turn it off, just have to learn to live with it unfortunately