Roof bars help!

Hi guys.

I’m looking for some advice on roof bars pls.  can anybody recommend any reasonably priced ones that actually fit the profile of the roof rails on my Octy 2012 estate.  I’ve tried fitting the ones from my Passat 3B6 but the profile looks like it shouldn’t work, but then I look at some of the other stuff for sale and they are more or less the same.

Here’s the pic of the bars I want to try and install.

Theres no point in shelling out on new ones if they're going to be the same profile as the ones i've already got.

20201109_111441.jpg

Have a root around www.roofboxes.co.uk.  They have pretty comprehensive and illustrated details of various roofbar arrangements by car,model & year.

Take a look at the Thule website I presume they list compatible foot packs I believe looking around at similar VAG the 757 foot pack is very common fitment across estates inc non VAG. I certainly have them on my Superb 2 and got a friend to purchase the same for his 2011 Seat Exeo estate. 

If you need roofbars you can pair them with the appropriate ones for your needs, Wingbars etc. 

Not keen on them overhanging the sides like that ^^^.

I chopped my Thule ones down so they have minimal overhang. Look a lot better now though I hardly use them now to be fair.

On 09/11/2020 at 22:25, gav_is_con said:

Take a look at the Thule website I presume they list compatible foot packs I believe looking around at similar VAG the 757 foot pack is very common fitment across estates inc non VAG. I certainly have them on my Superb 2 and got a friend to purchase the same for his 2011 Seat Exeo estate. 

If you need roofbars you can pair them with the appropriate ones for your needs, Wingbars etc. 

Cheers for that Gav-is-con.  Not sure i can stretch to Thule....or should i say.....justify it with the good lady.

On 10/11/2020 at 13:19, Tilt said:

@FunkystanleyLooks like yours are missing some serious rubber on the outer jaw.......

I have Thule, cannot remember foot pack number  but probably same as gav mentioned. Rings a bell.

Yeah, was hoping could get away with the Passat ones....but maybe not.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:19, sdwilliams72 said:

I had these online, weren’t too expensive and team up well with the Thule bike mounts too. 

cruz aerobars I think they were called 

AB397606-291F-4AB1-A31E-4739B8B28B77.jpeg

4012346B-C028-44B4-A86A-43E159D85272.jpeg

Saw these actually SDWilliams....and they were in my budget range.  Only thing that concerned me was that they have no profile as such.....just massive rubber blocks in the jaws....which then lead me to think...what if pack the existing clamps/jaws with rubber!?

On 13/11/2020 at 13:48, Funkystanley said:

Saw these actually SDWilliams....and they were in my budget range.  Only thing that concerned me was that they have no profile as such.....just massive rubber blocks in the jaws....which then lead me to think...what if pack the existing clamps/jaws with rubber!?

There is quite an angle on the ones in your pic, might work, dunno...

I will say that these have been on and off the car multiple times since 2016, have greased the bolts in them a couple of times to keep them running freely, and bought a new spanner for them as the original that came with them was shocking and would eventually have rounded the bolts.

The rubber blocks are quite thick, and obviously dont mark anything on the car, and still seem to be in good shape nearly 5 years on.

Once on and all tightened up, they seem very solid, carry my bikes often and no problems at all

Hope that helps

On 17/11/2020 at 12:05, sdwilliams72 said:

There is quite an angle on the ones in your pic, might work, dunno...

I will say that these have been on and off the car multiple times since 2016, have greased the bolts in them a couple of times to keep them running freely, and bought a new spanner for them as the original that came with them was shocking and would eventually have rounded the bolts.

The rubber blocks are quite thick, and obviously dont mark anything on the car, and still seem to be in good shape nearly 5 years on.

Once on and all tightened up, they seem very solid, carry my bikes often and no problems at all

Hope that helps

Thats really useful,thank you.  If they're still performing well after five years i'm happy with that.  What with all the storms we have these days i suppose its not worth 'modifiying' my existing bars.