Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2021

You can check the progress of TomTom reported Mapshare amendments via the Sygic app

https://www.sygic.com/gps-navigation

Which uses TomTom Maps, that's updated much more frequently so as well as seeing the TomTom validation team accept a report, which may not appear on their display immediately you can keep an eye on the progress of your changes in the Sygic app which will overtime appear in the Vag download.

On your issue I think they just wrongly classified those places as villages rather than towns. A lower attribute than others. Telling them the population size might help as well (wiki link say). You have to evidence in reports. Openstreet has attributes to places you add, TomTom will be the same. They just got it wrong.

TomTom are more tardy with reported road speed changes since anyone could ask for a speed change. I haven't had any of my requested speed changes accepted just put on pending. Here Maps collect local government road speed planning orders via a clerical task. Not sure how TomTom do it. Traffic sign recognition is your best bet in the car if worried about speeding ;)... works a dream.

The shame of it all is that Skoda customer services don't even understand their own systems and equipment. They told me to report it via the Here Now system.  What a let down they are!!

Any consolation Seat are the same. Fob people off telling them to use a phone app. In the UK you aren't even suppose to be able to update the maps since Mapcare isn't supported. VW and Skoda burried Mapcare some years ago making map updates free. Seat charge abroad via using Mapcare to block updates. Mapcare isn't supported in the UK so either a dealer one off fee for one map (£200s) or if it's the standard system you can use a user discovered "workaround" where you retain one file on the SD card on the new download. If a mib2 high (Columbus unit type) find a retrofitter to alter the navigation FEC. It's a cross we have to bear. Makes you feel like buying a Skoda... Karoq and Ateca come off the same production line but Seat still cobbles it's navigation with Mapcare. On the continent £600 for them to get an extention of Mapcare after the first 3 years that cost then £120. Retrofitter cheaper. Joke. Not sure how the mib3 offer works.

On 18/11/2020 at 09:04, Tell said:

You can check the progress of TomTom reported Mapshare amendments via the Sygic app

https://www.sygic.com/gps-navigation

Which uses TomTom Maps, that's updated much more frequently so as well as seeing the TomTom validation team accept a report, which may not appear on their display immediately you can keep an eye on the progress of your changes in the Sygic app which will overtime appear in the Vag download.

On your issue I think they just wrongly classified those places as villages rather than towns. A lower attribute than others. Telling them the population size might help as well (wiki link say). You have to evidence in reports. Openstreet has attributes to places you add, TomTom will be the same. They just got it wrong.

TomTom are more tardy with reported road speed changes since anyone could ask for a speed change. I haven't had any of my requested speed changes accepted just put on pending. Here Maps collect local government road speed planning orders via a clerical task. Not sure how TomTom do it. Traffic sign recognition is your best bet in the car if worried about speeding ;)... works a dream.

And there we have it - rejected "Not a map issue" - go figure!!

image.png.d66e4a5cb6e93686ff0355ad19a06266.png

image.png.e25117a453f22e27698c2d00ae0c55b5.png

43 minutes ago, smipx said:

And there we have it - rejected "Not a map issue" - go figure!!

image.png.d66e4a5cb6e93686ff0355ad19a06266.png

image.png.e25117a453f22e27698c2d00ae0c55b5.png

I would keep at it quoting the population size of those places (wiki links) and query whether they are using a village label rather than a town / city label. That's what's happening.

I'm getting mine thru but I've never picked them up on the size of labels. I think they are Indian staff that do the validation. You probably got one who doesn't know how to change the attribute... wasn't on the screen they use, never has done it. If so they need to refer up. Although I can't believe they can't do that themselves. Just don't know how.

Sadly however, I fear that they see but will not listen.  One of my other reports has already been rejected.  I expect the other to follow.

image.thumb.png.fc94e7776979c483f4ddd8558cf4af54.png

Edited by smipx

10 hours ago, smipx said:

Sadly however, I fear that they see but will not listen.  One of my other reports has already been rejected.  I expect the other to follow.

image.thumb.png.fc94e7776979c483f4ddd8558cf4af54.png

I get road changes in and extra roads. Doing quite well at that at the minute. There were a few month a year or so ago when they were not doing any updates from users now they are.

I don't know whether they have a user group or an email option.

We know what the issue is, now just a question of communicating it to them.

It's probably an unusual one for the team or they are not shifting from their belief that it's a village. Might be beyond their scope of what they can edit on their screens. I'd email them next if you feel strongly. 

Getting all mine throu but then I've never asked for such an edit. Just the normal stuff of missing roads, roundabouts, incorrect street names etc. Just speed limits they are tardy about changing I find. I'd ask you you but then I might get a negative score so I won't which would effect my future edit requests :blink:.

9 minutes ago, SwatKat said:

Hello! Anyone knows if the ECE A1 file (entire Europe) still fits onto the 16GB Skoda SD card? 

It does. Just delete what is on the card.

The issues reported are when people reformat the card and change the sector size. Keep to fat32 and you are fine... but obviously if it's been changed then it may not... so back to fat32 and 4k sector size.

• Like 1

OK, thanks! I've just checked, it's FAT32 with 32kb sector size. Format it with 4096k? But first I just have to buy another router, it just died after a power surge :) So, hopefully tomorrow morning will download the file and then reformat the card.

37 minutes ago, SwatKat said:

OK, thanks! I've just checked, it's FAT32 with 32kb sector size. Format it with 4096k? But first I just have to buy another router, it just died after a power surge :) So, hopefully tomorrow morning will download the file and then reformat the card.

4kb. If you haven't changed it from the manufacturers size it will be fine, but other than you have to take it back to the sector size as supplied. Obviously it has to be the VAG card.

When and if VAG pop the 16gb card you just buy a 32gb Skoda card off your favourite e supplier and put it on there. But it didn't happen this release. Dross deleted from the maps as well as new stuff, so the balance is still below 16gb card format.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/12/2020 at 17:45, DS13 said:

Why does Skoda need so much longer than VW and Seat to offer fresh updates?

Perhaps I'll try the download from VW...

Merry christmas!

Generally Seat lags behind Skoda but this time round they got their act together. Skoda slipped a release back from last time round as I recall which meant they could offer something new which was old when VW didn't make the June release. Possibly the Skoda November release was going to be the June VW release but since it didn't happen in June, didn't happen for Skoda in November. :blink:

All the same standard releases between brands. Skoda has a good library of back releases which has its uses, so not all doom and gloom. I'm not too sure how interchangeable the mib3 releases will be between brands. Needs someone to try it who has a mib3 and can find the import menu and takes a file off the VW server and report back.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is kinda obvious, but I'm new to the Amundsen update process. I have a '67 Octavia with MIB2 (at least, I'm assuming that's what it is!) and looking to update the maps. I've been to the updateportal.skoda-auto.com site and downloaded the latest ECE1 file, but noticed it was last updated in 2019...so in hunting down if there's a newer version I came across this thread. Am I right in thinking that the VW links at the start of this thread should work if downloaded and used in the same way as the Skoda ones? 

Edited by slicendice

56 minutes ago, slicendice said:

Sorry if this is kinda obvious, but I'm new to the Amundsen update process. I have a '67 Octavia with MIB2 (at least, I'm assuming that's what it is!) and looking to update the maps. I've been to the updateportal.skoda-auto.com site and downloaded the latest ECE1 file, but noticed it was last updated in 2019...so in hunting down if there's a newer version I came across this thread. Am I right in thinking that the VW links at the start of this thread should work if downloaded and used in the same way as the Skoda ones? 

If it is indeed mib2 just use the first link in the post namely

http://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1520_V13.7z

You should always take a copy of the contents of the card before deleting and bare in mind the Mac instructions. Pretty imperative to do that. If a PC best to use 7zip for unzipping than anything else.

Mib2 releases run in the sequence of four characters. The above one is 1520. If your release when you press the info button whatever that is on a Skoda is two characters long then it's definitely a mib1 and not mib2. Mib1 for November 2020 was not published by VW, yet to be confirmed that mib1 releases have come to an end, but may be the case. The lack of Skoda mib2 release for November may be related to Skoda publishing six months later than VW. Since there was not a standard mib2 release in June 2020 by VW, the sequences of Skoda's releases may have fallen foul of that.

67 plate would put it at mib2 by my reckoning.

1 hour ago, Tell said:

If it is indeed mib2 just use the first link in the post namely

http://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1520_V13.7z

You should always take a copy of the contents of the card before deleting and bare in mind the Mac instructions. Pretty imperative to do that. If a PC best to use 7zip for unzipping than anything else.

Mib2 releases run in the sequence of four characters. The above one is 1520. If your release when you press the info button whatever that is on a Skoda is two characters long then it's definitely a mib1 and not mib2. Mib1 for November 2020 was not published by VW, yet to be confirmed that mib1 releases have come to an end, but may be the case. The lack of Skoda mib2 release for November may be related to Skoda publishing six months later than VW. Since there was not a standard mib2 release in June 2020 by VW, the sequences of Skoda's releases may have fallen foul of that.

67 plate would put it at mib2 by my reckoning.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

The version info for mine is:

5L0051236T

ECE1 2017/18

SHIELD: SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309)

I've updated with the MIB2 files and appears to be working fine.

I've got a backup of original files and I know the MIB2 works, so when I get a min I'll try the VW link above and see if that works too.

Thanks again

15 hours ago, slicendice said:

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

The version info for mine is:

5L0051236T

ECE1 2017/18

SHIELD: SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309)

I've updated with the MIB2 files and appears to be working fine.

I've got a backup of original files and I know the MIB2 works, so when I get a min I'll try the VW link above and see if that works too.

Thanks again

That's definitely mib2 standard and the most recent map is 1520 as per the link. Covers all of Europe. That's the 2021 release to all of the Vag group. Cartography by TomTom. Fits onto the existing SD cards (16gb) doesn't need the newer Skoda 32gb unless you reformat the card to NTFS or alter the sector size from the default to something larger. Neither should you do if you follow the Vag pdf I linked to above. The cult of making it difficult for yourself by going off pista shouldn't be followed. Acres of that on the German community Skoda board... like fitting the wrong spark plugs or lowering tyre pressure to make the ride less bumpy....

Skoda say that release / the one before is for 32gb cards only, that's been found to be wrong. At some point the all Europe map may not fit on 16gb cards and in that case you use a zoned release if planning to drive across those zones or just buy the Skoda 32gb release from an ebay seller. The card is clipped to read only so doesn't grow once put inside the infotainment unit :cool:. All good to June 2021 when one looks for the next VAG release.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2020 at 09:12, Tell said:

All the same standard releases between brands. Skoda has a good library of back releases which has its uses, so not all doom and gloom. I'm not too sure how interchangeable the mib3 releases will be between brands. Needs someone to try it who has a mib3 and can find the import menu and takes a file off the VW server and report back.

Thanks, Tell!

I just installed the VW-download "2021" and it obviously works.

I also was happy that my 16 GB card was still big enough as you confirmed some days later.

Fits onto the existing SD cards (16gb) doesn't need the newer Skoda 32gb unless you reformat the card to NTFS or alter the sector size from the default to something larger.

• Like 1