Headlight adjustment

Hi guys, Yes lots of posts on here on this but my issue doesnt fulfill any I have seen.

So mine failed MOT on near side beam too low. The in dash adjuster only moves the offside one, I guess other side broken (a few posts on here about the fuse blowing but one of mine works)

Its only a 1.9TDI 2010 car so halogen projectors (mk2.5). Is there just a manual adjustment or anything I can do to get through MOT? There seem to be 2 white plastic lugs at top of headlight that will take a philips screw driver, however they dont seem to do anything on mine.... should they?

Cheers

Edited by Bikerz

No..... they work fine. The drivers side one adjusts.

I would guess its the mechanism for adjusting it in the light thats gone. Good assumption?

42 minutes ago, Bikerz said:

No..... they work fine. The drivers side one adjusts.

I would guess its the mechanism for adjusting it in the light thats gone. Good assumption?

Your answer is nonsensical.

Sorry why?

So headlight work (they light the road ahead)

The near side is pointing too low

The adjuster on the dash (roller switch) only raises off side

Does that make more sense? 

Nope. Just take apart and see if pins look oki and spray contact cleaner or is there a pin out that I can check?

the motor may be flubbed in the one that wont adjust with the roller switch (had that on my old mk1) but its somewhat irrelevant - your issue is the headlights need to be focused regardless of the roller position. 

there is an adjustment screw on the headlight unit. if your headlight wont move in either direction while twisting it then the motor unit may have over wound and the projector has come off the end of the adjustment screw, or said adjuster screw is broken inside the headlamp. have a look at the good one and compare with the immobile one and see whats different..

• Like 2

If the headlight adjuster motor is anything like the MkI type, then sometimes the ball part of the motor can get brittle and snap off inside the socket part that moves the reflector up and down. Had it myself once; the ball part was a PITA to get out. 
The pic below will help explain. It's like a shoulder joint - the ball part I mean is white on the left.
thumb.jpg.30839791ec43b4e6f4932c6efbd106d4.jpg

For the purposes of the mot, then as mac says re the adjuster screw and track inside the headlight.

I vaguely remember mending one of mine but cannot remember for sure it was on my Octy, but remember that it was not that difficult to mend but fortunately nothing was broken, rather it had popped out of it's holder.