Heater Blower Not Constant

Hello all!

I have a MK3 Skoda Fabia SE L with the automatic climate control and am having an issue with the blower. 

I'd say 50% or more of the time when I turn on the heat, the blower speed is not constant. Instead, it blows at the correct speed for a few seconds then slows down then speeds back up and just repeats like this. I've tried every combination of settings and the result is the same, even in full auto mode. 

I know it is not supposed to do this because I've been in my friend's car with the same system and he says it never does what mine does. 

Any ideas? 

Cheers, 

Adam 

Hi Adam, is the fan speed set to auto? This will cause the fan speed to vary according to ventilation requirements.

The light in upper section of the fan speed knob illuminates when on auto.  

@Warrior193 Hi, its not that it varies it every few mins according to temp. Its inconsistent flow of air. Even when it's set to manual and on a speed level I've set. Best way I can describe is that its like someone blowing air out their mouth and have to stop to breath in again to blow out again. There's a good few seconds of normal flow, then minimal for a second or two then full. And it repeats like this. 

Thanks 

Hi Adam, by that I assume you mean it sounds like the fan is still running at set speed when air-flow reduces, if so you may have to get a fault scan on the flap actuators - or have you already done that?

Nah I have not. It could be that actually because the overall drone when the heater fan is one doesn't change but the air flow does fluctuate. So, the actuators, if they are at fault, are the expensive to replace or is it maybe  a program issue? I suppose you can't tell these things really will need to get it to my garage to run a scan. 

Thanks 

Hi Adam, a member called 'SKODAVIA' made a posting on Oct 27 with a reference to a 'heater flap reset' - I couldn't find any details of this reset in a quick search, but it is probably worth following up. 

Edited by Warrior193
Typo

I did a search on the web and found a few clips on Youtube - try this flap test/reset - Turn on ignition, wait until a few seconds until Climatronic is running, press and hold both the AC on button and the button that indicates 'face-level' air flow. The flap actuators will run through a full movement operation for about 30-40 seconds then Climatronic will return to normal operation.

I'm just going out to my car to test this. 

4 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I did a search on the web and found a few clips on Youtube - try this flap test/reset - Turn on ignition, wait until a few seconds until Climatronic is running, press and hold both the AC on button and the button that indicates 'face-level' air flow. The flap actuators will run through a full movement operation for about 30-40 seconds then Climatronic will return to normal operation.

I'm just going out to my car to test this. 

Tried it just now on my Octavia - the indicator lights for both buttons flash alternately during the test. I do not know what indication is given (apart from, perhaps a scan result) if any fault is found during this test.

@Warrior193 I have tried something similar as the fabia has a slightly different climatronic setup with the buttons. I held the AC and face flow button down but nothing happened. I have tried otehr combos as well but nothing happens. 

It may also be worth noting that when the car turns on, the air flow is constant, and when in auto its constant when the system settles on a fan speed and direction of air flow but after around 30 seconds, the air flow through the vents is erratic. You don't notice it on low fan speed but you do if it's high. 

Also. the air coming out of the vents near the window on either side is constant, even if you deselect the face air flow button. Weird haha.  

I'm having the exact same problem with my fabia which also happens to be an SE L & It's not the fan that's the problem, it's the vents because if you hit the recirc button the air flows out of vents that I set & it acts like nothing is wrong.

Edited by Rich_84
typo

4 minutes ago, adam447770 said:

@Rich_84 I'll try that and see if I can replicate the same thing, then we will know if we have the same issue. I never usually use the recirc. It's really annoying me and im sure it does you too because it takes longer to heat up.

I don't usually use the recirc either but I read somewhere to determine that it's the flap not finding the right position was to press the recirc & see if air flows out of the vents, if so then it's the flap & not the fan & the special demist button is pretty useless in mine as it doesn't blow air on the windscreen but if I hit the recirc button it works fine!

4 hours ago, adam447770 said:

@rich_84 Yep, mine works fine with the recirc on. By any chance do you know what is required to make the normal operation function again?

Some say that disconnecting the battery overnight resets it or resetting the flaps with the computer.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I took it to a mechanic and he changed the recirculation motor. Was costly though... Like £200 for the motor and the labour made it more. It's the one behind the glovebox I think. It could be any of the 4 motors that control the air con but in my case was the recirculation one. You may be able to see for yourself if you remove glove box and have a look at the motor when I was in recirc it was working fine but the issue was when it went in to normal mode the recirc motor wouldn't close and kept trying to close and that's why the air was coming and going. Hope this helps, I can't remember the later number or anything I may have a loom if you need. Let me know.

• Like 1

Yes any flap motor change must be followed by what is called "basic settings" - the AC controller drives each motor to both mechanical end stops and stores the positional feedback voltages for normal use limits.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, i've just experienced the same on my Fabia. The flow was correct with recirculation activated and it was fluctuating when it takes fresh air from outside. I fixed it last week by cleanning a little potentiometer with alcool into the recirc flap motor housing (filled with grease so i think some goes into this potentiometer, bad design 😞  ).

I removed the glovesbox. I didn't disconnect the "airbag keyhole" and i've done everything with disconnected battery. You have only two screw to remove the motor housing but it's very hard because of the situation... but it's harder to put it back, there is really no space and you must adjust the position of the housing with two flaps levers ...

Watch this https://cardiagn.com/skoda-fabia-mk3-heating-air-conditionin/ p.70

And you can make a reset of all flaps by pressing the AC button, face button and "Auto" button at the same time with just ignition turned on ;)