New vrs, new issues

Smaons

Hi all, glad to have joined finally. So I've bought a fabia vrs. It's got a few problems but the main one I'd like to know about is the turbo. It's uprated, a gt1752. It's been running with it for about 1000 miles so far, I've read that it should be remapped so I asked scm remaps for a quote but apparently because it's uprated that would be a stage 3 remap which is 600 pounds, which I definitely don't have. Have been driving it off boost for the mean time but I don't want to that forever XD. Surely if the turbo fits and has been running fine then a stage 1 should be OK? It can only run on what the car says anyways it can just handle a higher boost pressure. Idk. Also the car is pulling to the left and doesn't roll very well at all, any advice on that would be brilliant as well. Thanks guys and gals. :)

5 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Stage 3 :D

They're tugging at your waistband, go elsewhere.

There'll be a stock map for a 1752 available from someone for half the price, shop around.

OK thanks, thought it sounded a bit ridiculous XD

If the car isn't rolling well get that sorted first and foremost ! What's the tyre pressures like ..? 

It's a good idea to take the car to a reputable place and have it tracked/aligned. This may uncover other suspension issues.

Having a car that doesn't handle, steer or brake right and then mapping it is just asking for trouble.

After this you can go chasing a map .. 600 you say for a map ...? Is **** Turpin selling that ? That's way too expensive ..!

+1 on the Shop around .. Better still get it properly set up on a rolling road .. I personally don't like the idea of a generic map. You should be able to get this done for way less than 600...! 

40 minutes ago, VanhireBoys said:

.. I personally don't like the idea of a generic map. You should be able to get this done for way less than 600...! 

There's nothing wrong with generic mapping for simple mods, a diesel engine is not a snowflake, it's the driver that is and that's how salesmen part drivers from their money so easily.

Not necessary for a simple turbo swap, the PD engine is over twenty years old and all the maps available are fully evolved and mature.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

There's nothing wrong with generic mapping for simple mods, a diesel engine is not a snowflake, it's the driver that is and that's how salesmen part drivers from their money so easily.

Not necessary for a simple turbo swap, the PD engine is over twenty years old and all the maps available are fully evolved and mature.

I have seen cars badly mapped by cowboys here in "Ah shure it will be sound" Galway with disastrous and expensive results. This makes me a bit wary. :wondering:

If a map is from a reputable source I suppose it will be fine but I'm still not convinced but that's just me - I drive people nuts at times questioning :blush:

14 minutes ago, VanhireBoys said:

I have seen cars badly mapped by cowboys here in "Ah shure it will be sound" Galway with disastrous and expensive results. This makes me a bit wary. :wondering:

If a map is from a reputable source I suppose it will be fine but I'm still not convinced but that's just me - I drive people nuts at times questioning :blush:

Well, it's a diesel so it's not as critical since you can't really blow a diesel up with a bad map, it's not like a petrol where underfuelling will melt the engine, if a diesel is lean it just doesn't make as much powah as it should. Hardly a disaster.

10 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Well, it's a diesel so it's not as critical since you can't really blow a diesel up with a bad map, it's not like a petrol where underfuelling will melt the engine, if a diesel is lean it just doesn't make as much powah as it should. Hardly a disaster.

That makes sense to me now !! You are right for the cars that did blow up were all petrol engined and Japanese.... Mostly melted pistons - Probably not helped by the machinery operator !  

I see a few lads are selling ready mapped ECU's with the immobiliser bypassed - I'm not sure if you send your original back again. 

Well, the thing is, it can make 220hp or so. But you need a front mounted intercooler, PD150 headbolts, 4 Bar MAP Sensor.  Do you have those? If not, then no real point getting a remap, because you won't be able to make any use of the turbo.

So you have to make sure you have those sorted first before anything. I post on a tuning forum now and then, where people post their own maps for review, and some maps that people have paid for are absolute ****. A good map is hard to do, and a lot of tuners make silly mistakes that will kill your turbo quickly by pushing too much boost, etc. Most common mistake is just bad tuning that will make it run rich and make low power, but again the turbo is only thing that can really fail

As sepul said, plenty of maps available from map suppliers. So you could in theory buy one and flash it yourself.

• 5 months later...

The price SCM quoted would have been for an APR map, so definitely not cowboy with a laptop crap. That's why it was so much, same price for a stage 1 for my octavia. You'll get a similar response from  revo dealer, generally you get what you pay for. Personally I'd rather spend a few hundred quid on a 20k plus knowing that it's been properly tested and validated.