Oil temperature low?

I've noticed on long runs the oil temperature seems to be staying a bit low - on the motorway it stays at about 75C. Once I'm off the Motorway it gets up a bit more, 85 around town. This strikes me as a bit low, I'm expecting low to mid 90s?

Heater seems to get warm in a reasonable time, and the coolant temp guage sits happily in the middle, but I don't take much stock from that as they usually have a pretty big dead zone!

It's a BKD engine, 2010.

After how much time when starting driving on the motorway you keep seeing that 75?

Do you have very low RPMs and low load on engine?

Now that ambient temps are low and driving habits when very smooth, the oil temp raises slower.

Especially when you have the heater this cools it down getting the engine's heat for the cabin.

But after maybe 20-30 miles the temp should be reasonable above 80 I presume...

So it depends on various things not proving for any possible fault.

Edited by AVHreplica

I'd suggest using VCDS or similar to check the coolant temperature is actually hitting 90'C, if it isn't, you might need a new thermostat.

- If you have a DSG, I'd suggest replacing the DSG 'stat first as they are a common failure point.

- If you have a manual or the DSG 'stat doesn't help, then consider the main thermostat.

Just as an example, my CR140 shows the same symptoms, oil only hitting 80-85'C with the coolant gauge at 90'C but when I logged the temperature, the coolant was closer to 75'C!

Here's a graph I made earlier :D