squeaking brakes when reversing

JIMMYBEE

Karoq 1.5 tsi sportline dsg since Jan 2020 with no problems at all. Car is a delight to drive. Done about 5000 miles. Recently though when reversing there is a loud squeak, as if brakes are binding, Not being at all mechanical (I know how to top oil, water fluids) and not wishing to get involved with a Garage at this stage, has anyone any advice?

Welcome to Briskoda :)

If a brake is binding, it will be in both directions. Jack the car up and see if the wheel spins freely, this will tell you if a brake is binding. If you unable to do this, after a run, have a feel of the calipers. If a brake is binding, you will feel the heat.

The squeak in reverse I suspect is nothing to worry about. I would try a few firm brakes in reverse to see if this clears the issue. If not, at 5000 miles, I'd be back to the dealer and let them resolve the issue.

HTH

• Like 1

My last car type, Disco 3s suffered badly from binding calipers, might be something to do with dragging it through lots of mud.  The way I’d check if I suspected they were binding is to carefully test the outer face of the wheel with the back of my hand.  Then if it was very hot then the skin and wheel wouldn’t actually make contact.  If the wheel was luke warm after a reasonable (>10 miles) then all was well but if one wheel was a warmer/hotter than the others then that was an issue.  Once I pulled over and the brake disc was glowing red, was only after a few miles from home so let it cool, turned around and limped home the called out the RAC and had the car recovered to a dealer.

Edited by DSL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JIMMYBEE said:

Recently though when reversing there is a loud squeak

...and not wishing to get involved with a Garage at this stage, has anyone any advice?

Advice is to get involved with the garage. This is a common problem with several models in the VW Group. We had it with our SEAT Ateca and Karoq, the dealer replacing pads under warranty on both occasions. Best get it reported sooner rather than later. As the car is a year old, you may not be eligible for warranty claim ( normally 6 months on wear and tear items ) but who knows, they may offer a contribution if you say it's a known fault.

7 hours ago, JIMMYBEE said:

Karoq 1.5 tsi sportline dsg since Jan 2020 with no problems at all. Car is a delight to drive. Done about 5000 miles. Recently though when reversing there is a loud squeak, as if brakes are binding, Not being at all mechanical (I know how to top oil, water fluids) and not wishing to get involved with a Garage at this stage, has anyone any advice?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine do the same, very occasionally, and when it happens it is totally random. I've had cars in the past of different makes and models that have done it as well and know loads of people who experience this, with all different makes of cars. A mechanic friend told me not to worry, he explained it as basically as cars are driven 99.9% of the time forward, when we brake it almost rubs the disk in a forward direction so when we brake in reverse it is almost going against the grain and can cause some squeeking. I've never worried about.

• Like 1