How did cars end up with so much tech fitted?

Westbury63

There was a post today re the new Skoda Kamiq Monte Carlo trim, and Autocar were not impressed in one regard "but manual HVAC knobs on a near-£28,000 small Skoda seem a bit mean to us." Err no. Proper heater controls are much easier to use! To my mind they should have written "even though it costs any eyewatering £28k for a relatively small car, at least its got proper heater controls and a real handbrake!"  Sadly, they have done away with real dials and installed a small ipad instead. :thumbdown: :speechless:

I have just had a look on Skoda UK website, and apparently all Octavia now have a whole host of technical gubbins fitted. Even the base model has:

Virtual Cockpit with 10.25" display,

Hill start assist,

Light and rain sensor,

Rear parking sensors with manoeuvre assist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7dhp2crYzc

DAB digital radio Bluetooth

Wireless SmartLink for Apple Car Play only (wired for Android Auto and mirrorlink)

Electronic parking brake

eCall https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2015/nineteen-eighty-four-by-george-orwell.html

OK. So, now I realise the current Octi is not for me as it has far too much tech fitted. How about the lovely Fabia? Surely, even in my favoured boggo/poverty spec steel wheel trim version will be free of all this unwanted junk fitted right?  'Front assist' fitted as standard! Even the most basic car now brakes for me. A quick search of Briskoda and the net confirms that these are not without their problems. Oh dear.

Hey it's just a forum, and my opinion. Some will argue for the safety benefit of Autonomous Emergency Braking, questionable.

• Like 1

The Best example of the Worst of New Tech is demonstrated with the VW ID3. 

As reviewed by many Journalists.     Lane Assist being the most common complaint. 

I drive right hand drive cars and being right handed have a problem using touch screens in the middle of the car and also at a stretch.

I would give my right hand to ambidextrous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I drive right hand drive cars and being right handed have a problem using touch screens in the middle of the car and also at a stretch.

That is a really good point. Blindingly obvious now you've said it, but not crossed my mind or read about before. 90% of people are right handed, so the screen in the centre of the car only works for people that drive on the right!  Floored design.:thumbdown: Never have that problem with traditional controls mind. :speechless: Tech...grrrrr.

6 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I would give my right hand to ambidextrous.

Very good! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :giggle:

@Westbury63 I have no problems driving and using a gear shifter, parking brake, indicator stalk, radio, heating controls. stop / start buttons etc etc.

I know how to use voice controls, and can set a Sat Nav or Screen when stopped and parked with a finger on my left hand.

Doing the same on a touch screen while driving and watching the road  i really can not do.

I got an EV that had stuff on the steering wheel, on the stalks and on the door, and the touch screen does not need touching really as there are physical buttons still for the heating / AC, Lane Keeping Assist ETC.

I have tried a few cars that no longer have & i would not have them.