2021 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

1 hour ago, vrskeith said:

Was particularly looking forward to this launch and seeing Seb in a different pair of overalls. Bit anti-climatic as I expected the obligatory Aston Martin green but it is rather…

dull?

It's very dull. And the sponsors might well complain about their logos lack of visibility. 

Remember when Jordan completely changed colour scheme mid season because the gold colour was poor on TV?

27 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

It's very dull. And the sponsors might well complain about their logos lack of visibility. 

I was thinking along the same lines, expecting a splash of sponsors’ colours here and there but upon reflection considering it’s Aston Martin’s return after so long, I wonder if Stroll Sr. wanted to go full on-on bold green. 

As for Seb, I never really liked him much until I saw a candid interview with him after Ferrari announced they were dumping him. I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon and say he was treated harshly as a four-time world champion and I get the red team’s vision with Charles and Carlos, but it could have been handled a little more sensitively (albeit in the cut-throat world of Formula One). 

I’ll never forget Brundle commentating while Seb was driving for Red Bull that it was monotonous seeing him qualify P1 every Saturday then scampering away in the race so nobody could catch him. That was when I decided I wasn’t Vettel’s biggest fan but, in hindsight, this is exactly what Lewis is doing now and we all know the Mercedes are poor at overtaking midfield cars which in itself is a rare circumstance that we pine to see. 

So, as far as I’m concerned, I’ll be waving a little British Moss Green flag this season with a hopefully rejuvenated Seb sitting in what can only be an improved car on last year’s Racing Point. 

Thoughts?

He's a 4 time champ. Clearly Hamilton respects his talent; So does his new billionaire boss. 

That said, on recent form I think he's very lucky to have got this chance at the Silverstone squad. 

I hope he finds his speed and destroys Lance, but if he doesn't, I fear it could turn out like Damon's farewell season with the same team.

However, I really think Champions should retire from the top rather than drop into the midfield like this. (And that's where I see Team Green. I think Mr Stroll's lofty and admirable ambitions will never be realised but hey, it's his money to burn)

Edited by camelspyyder

Love the idea of so much racing this season, even if it takes its toll on the teams. The logistics must be mind boggling. 
I hate this hiatus in between seasons, just hope that the ‘21 season will be a good one!

Just seen my most bulksh1t quote of the month, attributed in the headline to Ferrari, but actually from his illegitimate son Piero.

"F1s "terrifying" technology spend not justified" says Piero Ferrari (I note it appears he's stopped using his own surname).

...unless the Red team are actually winning whilst spending half a billion a year I guess? Never saw them complain about the cost when Schumacher was winning.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

That green on the engine cover is awful, end of. Purists will say it resembles the Italian flag; what, like the faded-in maroon towards the tail of the car?

Only hope their straight line speed is colossally faster. 

Verstappen fastest over the 3 days testing as the circuit seemed to grip up on afternoon 3.

Sounds right.

But only a tenth ahead of Alpha Tauri's Japanese rookie Tsunoda.

What?

With an Alfa driver 4th overall and a Williams 6th.

Hmmm?

So just what can we read into these times, very little - apart from the RedBull being quick every day.

Out of interest these cars are supposed to have a fair old downforce reduction from last year, and Max fastest lap is still 1.7 seconds off pole last November.

I think a punt now on Max to win the first race and another on him for the title is a good idea, before the bookies shorten the odds.

Not long now.

The annual fun and games of finding and watching free F1 streams begins. 

At least I've got fast internet here, although our other place currently has none so that will be a priority when we get back there next month.

Gasly has done an interview which is highly critical of RBR. A surprise, if his employer sanctioned it. Maybe he's already signed for someone else for 22. The rumour mill says Alpine, so is Ocons time there going to be short?