2021 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

When disaster struck for Bottas, I was half expecting a crash somewhere else up front, and a subsequent safety car / restart to give Lucky Lewis a podium. 

It should really be called the Monaco Grand Procession. The only nail-biting 'racing' is done in the pits. The hardest bit for the drivers, according to the commentators is maintaining concentration to avoid clipping the armco. 

I was working all day so had the GP to watch when I got back in the evening. I already had heard the result, but this normally doesn't dissuade me from a viewing...except as it was Monaco. I just hit delete and went straight to bed. I love the location and the tunnel is always interesting, but the race in the dry leaves me cold with the big F1 cars of today. I enjoy the qualifying and a wet race race there however 

Quite enjoyed the highlights, considering it was Monaco. 

I like seeing Hamilton win but it was good see a fresh set of names at the top.. 

And especially Norris on the podium. 

• 2 weeks later...

Singapore cancelled - Istanbul, Shanghai, Austin possible replacements.

Checo fastest in FP 2 from Max. Mercedes literally nowhere, not even top 10. If they don't improve a lot, I can see them protesting all the flexi-wing cars.

Edited by camelspyyder

Well that had a few surprises. Not least Mr Hamilton apparently having accidentally knocked his "Magic" button and setting the 'warming up the brakes' switch to 'ON' just before the restart! Ooops!

• Haha 1

Scary stuff. It took a worryingly long time for TV to show Lance moving after the crash. Pirelli is as usual blaming debris for the failures. Hamilton's hard tyre was cut too but didnt fail.

Almost a shock win for Vettel, as Perez had hydraulic issues and barely made the finish.

Well done Checo.

Edited by camelspyyder

Tv taking a long time to do something can be a comment on the producer.

Where did this debris actually come from? And why did it "get" 2 of my 3 least favourite drivers? Before the third one brake locked himself to last place...

I think it's a bit harsh to say the Producer (more likely an Editor would make any production calls) is to blame for the time it took Lance to move, or the length of the shot. Don't forget that F1s host broadcaster will almost certainly have live and up-to-date info, which may well include radio talkback from lanes car or pits. 

Well that was, at times, edge of my seat and jaw dropping stuff!! 

Please don't judge me, it's been a slow week..... 

What the eff is going on at Mercedes... 

23 hours ago, Evil said:

Well that was, at times, edge of my seat and jaw dropping stuff!! 

Please don't judge me, it's been a slow week..... 

What the eff is going on at Mercedes... 

They've known since testing that the new RedBull is a lot faster, RBR just haven't capitalised on it yet. Its amazing Hamilton is only 4 points behind. Bottas is showing the Mercedez true pace I think.

Redbull were robbed this weekend.  The expensive changes to the cars this year were supposed to protect the Pirellis from failures, but they still let go. 

• Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2021 at 20:29, Lady Elanore said:

I might have a lager with my pie...or perhaps a pot of tea?? :giggle:

Any favourite lager or tea?

As the Mercedes driver futures are all over the internet again, Ocon signs long term deal elsewhere, just like Norris did. Must have been finally told "Non" by Wolff.

Do we think Bottas will last the season? Baku was a truly terrible performance.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 06/06/2021 at 19:41, Lady Elanore said:

Well that had a few surprises. Not least Mr Hamilton apparently having accidentally knocked his "Magic" button and setting the 'warming up the brakes' switch to 'ON' just before the restart! Ooops!

According to BBC website, this was "not a mistake".

I read on the BBC site that Hamilton did a poor final lap before entering the pits due to tyre wear, he then had a slightly slower trip through the pits than Verstappen (even though his actual stop was quicker) and Verstappen did a stellar out lap. Altogether it transpired to put Verstappen in front. 

• Like 1

Even as he left the pits Mercedes were still telling him he was 1.5 seconds to the good. This isn't the first time their strategists have been way off. But honestly they had missed their chance to pit him on the previous  lap.

Its starting to remind me of when William's took pole everywhere and Benetton outfoxed them tactically at almost every race, was that 94 or 95?