help with wiring DSP

Need help with self installation of a DSP.

I had a Hertz amp and speakers installed a couple of weeks ago and after discovering the problem with the EQed output of the factory stereo planned on having an Audison DSP Bit Ten installed. And the government announced the lockdown! So here I am.

I have a Hertz HCP 4D installed in the boot of the car with high level inputs going into it and speaker outputs going out to speakers.

I presume installing it in the rear will be alright. A few questions that I would be grateful if someone could provide guidance on:

a) for power, do I install a distribution box and run power cables to amp and DSP (assuming I add another fuse between distribution box and dsp).

b) then, is it a question of connecting the speaker outs from the headhunt into the DSP and RCA cables to AMP?

The dsp came with this connector with helpful labels on the wires. I presume I can ignore the wires on the connector other than the battery and speaker in?

IMG_8248.jpg

It is the Audison Bit Ten. These are the screenshots of the relevant pages from the manual. Also attached is image of the amp and the inputs going into it.

Keen observers would notice I am using the rear speakers as sub as the low end is so boomy. So, after a bit of tweaking around I figured the best option without a DSP is to use the front speakers as mid+high range and the rear speakers as sub. That is giving me a decent flat sound at the expense of loss of overall sound level. I am just after a flat sound profile.

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 16.24.05.png

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 16.25.29.png

IMG_8219.jpg

Edited by makemywish

Power is up to you, I'd probably give it's own feed but if you fit it near the amp in the boot, splitting the amp supply should be fine.

Correct about the speakers, headunit to DSP (via the labelled wires on the 20pin connector), then DSP to amp via RCA (low level).

The only other obvious thing would be what's going to turn the DSP on/off. Looks like it can either use:

- switched ignition feed to 'key mem'

- remote to 'rem in'

- auto on/off based on when it sees an audio signal

You might want to take a look at what turns the amp on and off for ideas to which is best. I've no idea how good the auto on/off is.

Finally, it states "WARNING: the bit Ten must be switched on before any amplifiers are turned on". Based on that, you probably want a wire between DSP 'rem out' to the amps remote on?

At least that would be my understanding based on the manual :)

• Like 1

Thank you very much @langers2k

Looks like the Bit Ten has a few options for powering up, including auto turn on based on speaker input. The Hertz amp already has auto turn on based on Front speaker inputs. So looks like it is a question of hooking it all up and see how it goes.

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 17.13.29.png

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 17.18.42.png

there's a cable from Audison for this. Can only find the finnish one right now but it's on the Audison site. Their documentation on the website really is excellent. 

Cable: https://www.hifitalo.fi/products/audison-prima-ap-t-johtosarja-audi-vw-52-pin-iso-t-haara

other stuff: turn off the DSP in the head unit. Turn off the speed-related volume. 

- Bret

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brettikivi said:

there's a cable from Audison for this. Can only find the finnish one right now but it's on the Audison site. Their documentation on the website really is excellent. 

Cable: https://www.hifitalo.fi/products/audison-prima-ap-t-johtosarja-audi-vw-52-pin-iso-t-haara

other stuff: turn off the DSP in the head unit. Turn off the speed-related volume. 

- Bret

Thanks. How do you turn off the dsp?

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, I used love doing this kind of stuff.

But laziness and a bad back have put paid to doing the work myself.

So, going to book in soon for a full Audison/Hertz system in the Superb.

makemywish, how did you get on?

What speakers did you go for?

1 hour ago, Roberto280 said:

Ah, I used love doing this kind of stuff.

But laziness and a bad back have put paid to doing the work myself.

So, going to book in soon for a full Audison/Hertz system in the Superb.

makemywish, how did you get on?

What speakers did you go for?

For the speakers --  Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO. Good speakers. Waiting for the right weather to install the Audison DSP as the EQ on the headhunt is really terrible. Messing with the lower to mid-lower frequencies.

I think the audison DSP+Amp option is pretty good, saves you the hassle of adding a DSP, but compared to the Hertz HCP 4D underpowered. 

18 hours ago, makemywish said:

For the speakers --  Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO. Good speakers. Waiting for the right weather to install the Audison DSP as the EQ on the headhunt is really terrible. Messing with the lower to mid-lower frequencies.

I think the audison DSP+Amp option is pretty good, saves you the hassle of adding a DSP, but compared to the Hertz HCP 4D underpowered. 

Thanks for that, have never used the Audison or Hertz stuff, last car was 10 years with Focal fronts with JL Audio sub and amp.

Am going mad with my set-up, so will be separate DSP, with 3 ways up front and sub in back, used do competition grade installs for myself, so need the controlled power.

Maybe when the world returns to normal we can compare set-ups at a club meet someday