Playing media through SD Card

Hi folks

Just picked up my new Skoda Octavia in the last few hours.

I have a SD card with my music on it, and purchased a USB C SD Card reader.

I have plugged it in but i cannot seem to find anything on it.  

When i click on media and then play my media, it just says no files found

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I have a USB stick (64Gb) that I used to use in my Superb.  I've bought a USB A to C adaptor and plugged it in and can play files from it fine - the initial options are to browse by album or artist but you can also browse the file structure and manually look up albums (useful for me as I sorted albums into some different genres etc).

Have you tried the SD card and reader in anything else to confirm it's reading OK?  The main issue I get with mine is in the cold (or heat) the USB stick gets a bit unhappy and files then won't play, but it sorts itself another day.  This happened on the Superb and also this car.

Hope that helps to at least confirm you can read files via USB.

• Like 1

One thing that's just occurred to me is what the power requirements might be for the SD card reader, and whether the car's USB-C port can provide it?  Not sure of all the technical details but I believe with pre-USB-C ports the current levels available can sometimes vary so certain USB devices just don't receive sufficient power, which may be the case here.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, Ive got a Mkiv VRS and i did have the usb 3 working for a while with about 28gb of albums on it, using a Micro SD Card Adaptor and 128gb card. The car has been back to skoda a few times now for software updates due to the heater being stuck on full or not coming on at all. Anyway, since the last software update its stopped reading from the USB port completely and the bluetooth for media files completely confuses me, is this your phone?? Ive asked Skoda to look into it (again). Also, the port is really exposed in the central console and when you put the adaptor in the USB 3 port it can tend to be knocked about by keys, phones and things. I furnished a little protective case using a plastic bottle lid as there doesnt appear to be anything designed for this on the market. The old SD port in the console was a much better design if you ask me... Anyone got any bright ideas on what the best folder structure is for reading music files so it works well with the infotainment system...?

I had a similar problem with using an adaptor - If you buy a mini or micro USB C stick that will work fine.

I use this one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-256gb-dual-usb-c-usb-3-1-flash-drive-200mb-s.html

Structure wise, I organise mine into Artist Folders and Album sub-folders - system reads them fine..

• Like 1

I also bought a new USB C key when I got the car. But after a few months the music started to freeze occasionally, songs didn't want to go forward or backwards, etc. A month ago I finally decided to buy a Youtube Premium subscription and I'm more than happy. It works flawlessly through Apple Carplay and even the sound is much much better. Now I even get some deep bass from that Canton subwoofer. 😁 

Aye, ive got spotify on android running through the infotainment and its great, not sure that I want to see the album cover all the time mind when I am driving. But every now and again i like to listen to 'old school' albums that I own, also I find the signal plays up when out in the sticks and when it drops out you have to go back in again, so listening on the 'stick' would be great.

• Like 1