Replace steering wheel controls

Hi all, have a 2014 vRS with steering wheel controls (scroll wheels) and one of them cracked some time ago so doesn't turn.

Picked up replacement ones from AliExpress and wondering if there were any fitting guides?

Have seen a few YouTube videos of removing the airbag / steering wheel (which all look a bit vague with people fiddling with a clip) but nothing about then dismantling the wheel to get to the controls.

If it's very straightforward then I'll just go for it...

TIA

Just done a steering wheel swap myself. It's dead straight forward.

Ali express buttons - hope they work! But if theydon't I will have a set of oem buttons for sale soon. I've had to buy a complete wheel just for the lower trim! Going to sell the wheel on for someone who wants to retrim (like I've had done).

Only thing to be aware of is to not leave your key in the ignition when disconnecting battery/airbag and reconnnecting otherwise it'll throw up a code that needs VCDS to clear.

Taking the airbag off is easy, 2 clips at the back of the wheel.

Taking all the trim etc off is also simple, screwdriver and bit of persuasion is all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for the replies and the above video, all very helpful.

Did the replacement last Thursday...

• Disconnect battery
  • Undo the 2 airbag clips and remove airbag (after disconnecting)
  • Prise off the surround
  • Disconnect the DSG plugs
  • Remove the controls and take into the house to swap over the AliExpress ones
  • Realise the AliExpress ones DO NOT have the DSG connectors (the solder pads are there but no connectors. Contemplate life decisions.
  • Take stuff apart - find out that the broken clicky bits can seperate from the electronics so use a combination of OE electronics with the shiny new AliExpress clicky bits - yay.
  • Also realise that the broken thumbwheel can be fixed with some superglue for free. Contemplate life decisions again. Keep as spare.
  • Put back together, reconnect battery, go for a drive to clear all the warning lights and delight in turning the volume up and down from the steering wheel once again!

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...