IV/GTE suspension

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

..the Passat GTE/superb iV looks to have 13.5mm wire for the rear coils...

One easy test if you have digital calipers, is to measure the wire diameter of the front and rear springs.

In addition to the four standard ride height rear springs that I posted above, there are another six listed on the "vw online parts catalogue".

1 3Q0511115M coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YE
1 3Q0511115N coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YF
1 3Q0511115P coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YG
1 3Q0511115Q coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YH
1 3Q0511115R coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YJ
1 3Q0511115BC coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YK

The last three aren't listed on autodoc. This isn't unusual as aftermarket springs aren't available to match all OEM part numbers.

However, the three standard ride height rear springs from the  list above do have their specifications listed on autodoc, as detailed below.

3Q0511115M (Diameter 12.50mm, Length 366mm)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=3Q0511115M&supplier[0]=85

3Q0511115N (Diameter 13.25mm, Length 361mm)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/3q0511115n?search=OEN+3Q0511115N&supplier[0]=85&supplier[1]=1

3Q0511115P (Diameter 13.50mm, Length 361mm)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/3q0511115p?search=OEN 3Q0511115P

It looks like 3Q0511115Q, 3Q0511115R, and 3Q0511115BC are incrementally stiffer than 3Q0511115P as you can see from decoding 0YG, 0YH, 0YJ, 0YK

Decoding 0YG, 0YH, 0YJ, 0YK Build Codes

0YG = Weight range 7
0YH = Weight range 8
0YJ = Weight range 9
0YK = Weight range 10

You might have trouble finding the OEM part numbers from the coloured dots, as the "vw online parts catalogue" doesn't appear to list the above rear springs against the coloured dots.

In addition to the front and rear springs, you might want to look to see if there are different thicknesses of anti-roll bars. However, if you have 13.5mm diameter rear springs you might already have the thicked anti-roll bars. But I'm just guessing about this as I haven't done any research on anti-roll bars for the Passat.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've had the shocks (koni special actives) on for a few weeks and now had a week with a whiteline rear roll bar.

One thing I must point out is the top of the shocks are quite long. By top I mean the body where the shaft comes out. Because of this you need to cut the bump stops to get any meaningful travel from them to get the benefit of the fancy valving. I don't think I will be lowering the car at least with these shocks fitted. Bilstein b6 or shock shocks should fair up much better with lowering springs.

The rear roll bar is great. Gives a nice support to lean on in corners but you don't know it's there when driving straight or slow. I have it on the soft setting and when I get a chance I'll put it in the hard setting (new end links while I'm there). I think the hard setting will be more apparent with small direction changes. I like a tight back end (ooer) and the soft setting is only maybe 30% better than stock.

I've also fitted thicker top pads on the rear springs to bring the rear more level with the front. This has helped to bring the shocks out of the bump stops but I still need to check if the rears need cutting down. Visually the car is more level though.

Edited by MarkyG82

On 9/10/2021 at 8:51, MarkyG82 said:

He tenido los amortiguadores (activos especiales de koni) durante algunas semanas y ahora tuve una semana con una barra antivuelco trasera blanca.

Una cosa que debo señalar es que la parte superior de los amortiguadores es bastante larga. Por arriba me refiero al cuerpo por donde sale el eje. Debido a esto, debe cortar los topes para obtener un viaje significativo de ellos y obtener el beneficio de las válvulas de lujo. No creo que baje el auto al menos con estos amortiguadores instalados. Bilstein b6 o los amortiguadores deberían funcionar mucho mejor con resortes bajos.

La barra antivuelco trasera es genial. Brinda un buen apoyo para apoyarse en las curvas, pero no sabe que está ahí cuando conduce en línea recta o lenta. Lo tengo en la configuración suave y cuando tenga la oportunidad, lo pondré en la configuración dura (nuevos enlaces finales mientras estoy allí). Creo que la configuración difícil será más evidente con pequeños cambios de dirección. Me gusta un extremo trasero ajustado (ooer) y el ajuste suave es solo quizás un 30% mejor que el stock.

También coloqué almohadillas superiores más gruesas en los resortes traseros para llevar la parte trasera más nivelada con la delantera. Esto ha ayudado a sacar los golpes de los topes, pero todavía necesito verificar si es necesario cortar las partes traseras. Aunque visualmente el coche está más nivelado.

do you have pictures of how it looks?

Koni special actives with stock springs (same as non-sportline superb). Actually thinking about it don't all superb iV's has DCC? That would put them 10mm lower than the standard Passat GTE. The GTE advance has DCC. I have the standard one.

First proper trip out today with the family loaded in the car. Mix of A, B and motorway. More comfy all round. Rear roll bar helped the car track nicely and improved the confidence through turns. I want to try it on the hard setting but will wait a while as I have more pressing DIY to be getting in the way.

On 10/10/2021 at 11:12, MarkyG82 said:

Activos especiales Koni con resortes originales (igual que no-sportline superb). En realidad, pensando en ello, ¿no todos los iV excelentes tienen DCC ? Eso los pondría 10 mm más bajos que el Passat GTE estándar. El avance GTE tiene DCC . Tengo el estándar.

It would be interesting to see your passat in photos. I understand that the Koni Special Active raise the body with standard springs? A B6 and Eibach Pro kit could be a better option? The thicker rear rubber buffers are those of the Audi TT ?? Thanks!!

Yeah sorry. I keep forgetting to get photos. Not convinced the ride height changes with special actives. B6 on stock springs does raise it slightly. At least it did on my Octavia. B6 ride is a fair bit firmer than the konis so lowering springs make it quite hard. Manageable and fun, but hard.

Yes the rubber pads are from the TT. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After I bodged one of the drop links when fitting the roll bar I have been looking at replacements. With the many deals on at the mo is it worth the added expense of upgraded links? Before any discount the upgrades are roughly double the price of OEM. What would I gain in real term by going aftermarket? Not interested in adjustment. Will likely set them the same length as stock and forget about them. Other benefits?

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection update!!

Three years and nearly 30k miles on the special actives I have just spent some bonus money on a set of B6 shocks. I know I said I wouldn't fit lowering springs but I've had prokit set fitted for about 2 years. Also have a pair of spring assisters on the rear. This has helped with sharpening up the turn in with the rear roll bar set to hard.

Getting the shocks fitted next Thursday so will let you know how it goes. After the initial honeymoon I've not been impressed with the konis. That's with stock height or lowered. They just don't feel predictable and they are hard when I would prefer soft and blow through the travel when I'd like more support.

I should have gone B6 from the start but you live and learn.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

8 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Getting the shocks fitted next Thursday so will let you know how it goes

+1, day in day :)

just one diff, i planned install just left side on Tuesday and right side on Wednesday
because i'm not sure for 100% in my springs choice lottery

waiting for package from Tuning-Expert.com with

1x Eibach Pro-Kit Sportfedern SKODA KODIAQ (NS7) E10-79-013-03-22	
	2x Bilstein B6 Damptronic Stoßdämpfer Hinterachse SKODA SUPERB III (3V3) 20-254353	
	2x Bilstein B6 Damptronic Federbein Vorderachse SKODA SUPERB III (3V3) 23-254343	

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

¡¡Actualización de la resurrección del hilo!!

Tres años y casi 30.000 millas en los activos especiales. Acabo de gastar algo de dinero extra en un juego de amortiguadores B6. Sé que dije que no colocaría resortes de descenso, pero me han instalado un juego de prokit durante aproximadamente 2 años. También tiene un par de asistentes de resorte en la parte trasera. Esto ha ayudado a afinar el giro con la barra antivuelco trasera configurada en posición fuerte.

Colocar los amortiguadores el próximo jueves te informará cómo va. Después de la luna de miel inicial, los konis no me impresionaron. Eso es con altura original o rebajada. Simplemente no se sienten predecibles y son duros cuando yo preferiría ser suaves y soplar durante el recorrido cuando quisiera más apoyo.

Debería haber elegido B6 desde el principio, pero se vive y se aprende.

We had already commented on it in several threads, and we still think the same about the Koni Special Active. Please don't forget to tell us the difference between the Koni and the B6. I also installed front and rear torsion bars from the Golf R, much better and I don't even rule out installing a more rigid rear.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

Instantly felt an improvement in stability. All round more confidence inspiring. Drove it for a few days with the springs as per konis (front eibach pro, rear eibach pro with assisters). Car was very pointy and the rear although better was a bit too stiff. I took the assisters out a week ago and and the comfort is very good. The car still goes where you want with minimal body roll. It's such a shame I didn't do it this way from the get go. The car feels right.

Current setup:

Eibach pro from TDI 4x4 dsg Passat estate.

Bilstien B6 shocks as above 

No assisters for now (maybe when loaded for the summer hols)

12mm front spacers 

20mm rear spacers 

White line rear roll bar in stiff setting 

One comment on the konis. The rear ones rattled. I thought it was the roll bar but turned out to be the shocks! Tech showed me the state of them once off (roughly 30k miles) and they were shot. Car too heavy I guess.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Update time!

Instantly felt an improvement in stability. All round more confidence inspiring. Drove it for a few days with the springs as per konis (front eibach pro, rear eibach pro with assisters). Car was very pointy and the rear although better was a bit too stiff. I took the assisters out a week ago and and the comfort is very good. The car still goes where you want with minimal body roll. It's such a shame I didn't do it this way from the get go. The car feels right.

Current setup:

Eibach pro from TDI 4x4 dsg Passat estate.

Bilstien B6 shocks as above 

No assisters for now (maybe when loaded for the summer hols)

12mm front spacers 

20mm rear spacers 

White line rear roll bar in stiff setting 

One comment on the konis. The rear ones rattled. I thought it was the roll bar but turned out to be the shocks! Tech showed me the state of them once off (roughly 30k miles) and they were shot. Car too heavy I guess.

Have you pictures of the finished setup?

On 26/04/2024 at 21:10, defsix said:

Have you pictures of the finished setup?

I'll get some once I get clear access to my drive. Building work getting in the way right now.

Minor update:

Trip up to Nottingham and back in the last 24hrs was lovely and smooth. You can tell it's not standard setup. The spring stiffness still shines through especially at low speed.

The cruising comfort is great though. For those who know the dips in the A34, it breezed through and even I was impressed with how well it coped. Going through there with the old setup I bottomed out on a couple of them.