Canton. The age old debate.🤪

Skodev

Hi all, been a long time away after chucking in my 2015 vRS estate for 5 series touring (don’t hate me). 
Anyway, just placed an order for a new vRS tdi 4x4 estate and have specced the Canton, I’m really struggling to find any info on it though aside from what’s on the configurator. (Attached). 
has anyone taken delivery of a Canton equipped car? 
I remember from previous mk3 forums wildly varying assessments of that upgrade, but this one has a slightly different configuration with two extra speakers and a sub in the spare wheel. 

cheers 

7C3CD4A1-F8D2-445B-88E5-8E0E759C614E.png

I would bet it will be one step ahead O3. Stock sound is (at least) one step ahead on O4 comparing to old model, but to admit, we have now Columbus on stock sound, before it was Bolero - there could be a difference as well...

On the other hand, Canton on O3 is better then O4 with stock sound Columbus. Somehow like it suppresses outside noises, I am not sure - without music bigger wider wheels on RS are louder, but when I switch on to the music, subjectively seems that O4 needs to be put more loud. For soft listening I prefer much more Canton. I hope it is understandable what I want to say. 

3 hours ago, nidza said:

I would bet it will be one step ahead O3. Stock sound is (at least) one step ahead on O4 comparing to old model, but to admit, we have now Columbus on stock sound, before it was Bolero - there could be a difference as well...

On the other hand, Canton on O3 is better then O4 with stock sound Columbus. Somehow like it suppresses outside noises, I am not sure - without music bigger wider wheels on RS are louder, but when I switch on to the music, subjectively seems that O4 needs to be put more loud. For soft listening I prefer much more Canton. I hope it is understandable what I want to say. 

Yes it is, thanks for responding. Doesn’t appear to be many O4 with Canton to get feedback on the actual new set up. 
Either way it’s surely better than stock and in that sense should improve the sound. 👍🏼 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antho46 said:

Just added the canton sound system to my order (and upgrade with TDI 150) , will let you konw .... in May :notme: :biggrin:

Nice. Looking like I’ll be updating in May too. 😬

I am currently debating whether to spec Canton in the new car, all the ones I've looked at so far in dealers just have the standard system and while it does sound decent its still nowhere as good as my Canton in my current Mk3 as to be expected.

Just need to justify if its worth paying the extra £590 for! 

7 hours ago, OliR said:

I am currently debating whether to spec Canton in the new car, all the ones I've looked at so far in dealers just have the standard system and while it does sound decent its still nowhere as good as my Canton in my current Mk3 as to be expected.

If it's nowhere near as good as your MK3 then that sounds like perfect justification. Couldn't imagine spending 2-4 times what my current VRS is worth and ending up with a worse sound system.

• 2 months later...
On 09/02/2021 at 11:40, OliR said:

It is. Second car without, my last car with. Former is serviceable with no bass, latter is better quality with some bass.

2 hours ago, Sec8200 said:

Hi, in any case before judging, wait for awhile so the speakers will set in.

For O4 does it mean that you can't have spare wheel at all, or it is positioned in the center of a spare wheel?

You can only have Canton together with a spare wheel since the bass speaker is positioned in it. 

18 minutes ago, janis said:

Canton Subwoofer is very useless, it is not relevant, I have tested plenty songs plenty EQ settings in drivers seat I cant hear it at all.

I guess it's personal preference. It's just fine for me. I don't need a subwoofer in the car that will just make everything rattle. :) 

• Like 1