Temperature

Hello all. Lately I've notice that te temperature of my Octavia is wondering between the 80 and 90 degree mark. On top of my head Is a thermostat replacement, but will be happy to hear others opinions. Car is driven every morning and evening 30mile motorway drive. I la's thinking it might be from te low outside temperature, but it was almost 10 degrees today. I will be thankful if anyone can share a video guide of thermostat change. 

Car is MK4,. 2.0 tdi, manual 

Thanknyou all and stay safe. 

is it on the original water pump?  could be the start of the transfer valve going.  Also should have had a cambelt by now and it's a good time to get the pump done at the same time.

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

is it on the original water pump?  could be the start of the transfer valve going.  Also should have had a cambelt by now and it's a good time to get the pump done at the same time.

Water pump was changed about 16k miles ago with cambelt and all other stuff 

The other option could be that you have a thermostat issue.  Is the car taking a long time to warm up (failed open or failed closed with partial opening) and what is the heater doing - is it blowing up flucating air tempertures (signs that the car is running cold)?

No issues wit te heating whatsoever. Altho with heating turned off, temperature goes to 90 89/90abd stays there. The moment I turn the heating on, temperature falls below 85, near 80. When I think about it, it does take a bit longer to warm up. 

Do you have the DSG gearbox, in which case it will have 2 thermostats.

It's usually the DSG stat that fails stuck open or opening early.

This overcools the engine.

37 minutes ago, PipH said:

Do you have the DSG gearbox, in which case it will have 2 thermostats.

It's usually the DSG stat that fails stuck open or opening early.

This overcools the engine.

Manual transmission 

On 02/02/2021 at 15:10, Yav said:

No issues wit te heating whatsoever. Altho with heating turned off, temperature goes to 90 89/90abd stays there. The moment I turn the heating on, temperature falls below 85, near 80. When I think about it, it does take a bit longer to warm up. 

Mine was doing the same. Temperature gauge was jumping about, flat at the bottom on the motorway when running the heaters hovering about 70 when heaters turned off. It was a failed thermostat. It isn't too bad to do, my mechanic charged me £65 to replace it. Beware though and get the correct thermostat as it's quite a bespoke one.

Here's a video of it on an Audi but it's the same as the Skoda. It's in German but quite easy to follow.

https://youtu.be/n8fWe4L45Kc

Hi, thanks for your input. I've seen the video and its a big helper. I have a £30 quote labour only so near your price with the thermostat itself. Will e doing it tommorow by myself. Fingers crossed it all goes ok

Updateon m situation. I've change D the thermostat. When I start te car And let it run without driving and heating off, temperature goes to 90 and doesn't move. When I start driving heating off, temperature goes down to 70 and stays there. If I turn te heating on at max, temperature goes down nearly to the bottom 50, 55. Heating at mac is still blowing OK, but not to the max. What are the chances te new thermostat is faulty?!?! Can te waterpump break down in under 20k miles? If its a temperature sensor, will it show on diagnostic? 

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Not sure I'd be 100% sure about that branding...

Any suggestions where to get genuine parts online, or at least quality ones?