Hyundai Ioniq 5

widdershins

Didn't see a topic on this EV that's expected to launch in perhaps a month or two so I thought I'd start one.  There's been some sightings of it testing over in Germany but they've always had more padding camouflaging it's true shape than Dolly Parton.  I've found a video with what purports to be the new car in it, but with just the cammo stickers rather than all the black nylon and random bulges on the euro test cars.

It's in a Korean video on the new Hyundai charging stations they are opening, and there's a company rep demonstrating the new station to a Korean you tube "influencer".  And by chance there's a car "by chance" in the background which he also has a look round.  All part of the big companies Marketing and PR teaser campaigns prior to launch of course, but interesting nonetheless.  The look at the charger is also interesting as it showcases one solution to lugging round the heavier power cables needed by higher power 350Kw chargers.

Car makes proper appearance at around 4:45

Edited by widdershins
  • Like 1

Not the Ioniq, but the sister vehicle from Kia has been spotted out testing.   Though the outside is all padded there are a couple of pictures which show some glimpses of the interior including the screens and the controls on the central console/armrest area.  Since the two companies share a lot of components it'll give a clue about the interior of the Ioniq also.

In fact, if you combine the exterior from the video above, and the interior from the link below.  You'll probably get a rough idea of what both the next Hyundai and Kia EV's will look like.  

https://insideevs.com/news/487050/kia-cv-ev-spy-photos-interior-revealed/

Delays to the official launch of the new vehicle have been happening. First planned for early Feb, then mid Feb, latest is late Feb 21.   There is speculation it may be battery related woes. 

If LG is the supplier the recent fires in the battery packs of Chevy Bolt, e-nero, and Kona may be the cause.  Launching a new car with the same battery whilst in the midst of worldwide safety recalls for fires in the predecessor might be bad for PR, and logistically difficult if they are using much of their battery supplies at present for remediation on prior models.

On the other hand the recent ITC judgement against SKI banning them from selling batteries into the US for stealing trade secrets may pose a whole different set of problems in launching it since, unlike Christmas presents, most customers will be very unwilling to buy a car with a sticker on it that says "Batteries Not Included":biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the look of it, The 18 minute charging makes it just like an ICE car IMHO. I don't see any word on when they will be delivered, but the order book is open. I can see a lot of people wanting one.

• Like 1

Very nice! 800V system and 20min charging.

Though I'd thought 72 kWh battery should have given over 300 miles of range.

The vehicle to grid system is interesting. Have CCS now enabled that feature? Last time I checked, a few years ago, only Chademo supports it.

Price of just £45k for top of the range model is excellent. A shot across the bow of (expected) £50k Model Y long range, which is considerably dated due to not having 800V and V2G.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wyx087 said:

The vehicle to grid system is interesting. Have CCS now enabled that feature? Last time I checked, a few years ago, only Chademo supports it.

Price of just £45k for top of the range model is excellent. A shot across the bow of (expected) £50k Model Y long range, which is considerably dated due to not having 800V and V2G.

It sounds as though the vehicle doesn't have Vehicle to Grid (at the moment), rather it has what they are calling Vehicle to Load, which appears to mean you can plug in appliances such as kettles, hoovers, etc. to sockets in the car and use them.  That's probably due, as you suggest, to the CCS connector not supporting it.  But I'd assume if it can power up to 3.6Kw of loads, it should  be able to deliver similar amounts of power to the grid once the supply equipment catches up.  Though I'm looking forwards to the first support call to Hyundai UK complaining that the car isn't charging properly on the granny charger, especially when the helpdesk operator finally discovers that they've plugged the charger lead into the socket inside the car.:biggrin: 

Have Hyundai accidentally developed the first self-charging BEV??? :dry:

The fast charge capability has the potential to be a bit of a game changer in EV adoption in years to come.  Whilst many can charge overnight for their normal daily trips, the lengthy stops to recharge in older technology vehicles during a long journey have put some people off.  Being able to regain so much range just during a short comfort break in the services removes those enforced waits and allows long trips to be made in the same time a combustion engined car could make them.  Granted, there aren't many suitable chargers at present, but I foresee that improving as more cars like this become available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah, okay. Worthless traditional journalist strikes again. Autocar article was wrong and it's still wrong now. Fully Charged video was very clear on the difference. 

It would be interesting to see how fast it charges on 400V chargers currently available. I'd also be interested to see how they are doing the 800V to 400V conversion. But for its bigger battery size of 70+ kWh with less than 300 miles of range, I fear it has done a Taycan in efficiency when moving to 800V. Kona 64kWh have range of 300 miles. 

• Like 1

He tells us he will tell us everything there is to know about the Ioniq 5 in this video....

?

What possesses him or anyone else to call this car a 'Family SUV' ?

Surely the very least a car should have to be a SUV or Crossover is roof rails!   

That somehow allows for the Sport Utility or Suburban Utility tag.

Being able to use an electric shaver, kettle, drill etc mght be what they base SUV on.

Rory needs to go check how many 350kW chargers there actually are since he is a motoring journalist.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Got to agree with the SUV comment, this looks to be so low that it would beach if it went over anything rougher than a gravel driveway.  I understand that minimising ground clearance improves the aero and  therefore the fuel economy of vehicles, but you can't really call it an SUV if it has no more ground clearance than a VW golf.  Perhaps we should start calling the Octavia Scout as an SUV???  It's got better ground clearance, and is larger, and is better in every way as a "lifestyle" SUV.

I was hoping for a lower price as well, I could spec an L&K, 7 seat Diesel Kodiaq for similar money, and that is much more of an SUV.  Ok there is the EV incentive to come off this EV, but even so, in comparison to what else people can buy for similar money it has some significant non-EV competition for peoples wallets.  Even within the EV market, there is stiff competition at this price.  I expect when Tesla finish their Berlin plant and start selling Y's in europe Hyundai will need to drop their prices to compete.

• Like 1

I really can not understand any comparison of Petrol or Diesels and EV's.

If someone does not want an EV & to pay what they are costing currently then simply they need not get one.   

If someone is a business user and can understand the BIK benefit of an EV and low cost or free charging then the RRP / Price to pay of EV's might not matter.

If someone is getting a vehicle leased, or maybe from Motability then they might look at what it is costing them a week / month / year to actually have a new EV at their disposal.

With Motability that can be under £63 a week all in and a very low advance payment, and no fuel to buy if they can charge free.

That is even for cars with a RRP into the lower part of the £30,000 plus bracket.  Higher up the £30,000's and more advance payment is required.

Edited by e-Roottoot

But many people will be doing exactly that, comparing EV and Petrol/Diesel vehicles when deciding to replace their car.  Many who buy cars are private buyers who are not able to benefit from BIK.  So will be looking at the costs.  One of my friends recently bought a new ICE car.  He said that he did look at EV's but didn't feel that they were good value for money, citing cost and range.  Being retired he's not normally doing the same miles as he was, so monthly fuel costs weren't a factor for him in his thoughts.  The purchase cost and the charging times for when he occasionally goes down south to the Cotswolds to visit the grandkids made him choose petrol.

My point about the price of ioniq was not just about the comparison with Petrol/Diesel, but with other EV's also.  Sadly the Ioniq seems to be priced more towards the luxury end of the market, whereas I was hoping it was going to be a replacement for the Kona EV with prices starting at around £32k and going up to perhaps £40k, but it seems that the Ioniq will be starting at around £45k.  Even the ID4 1st Edition isn't that expensive.  That has disappointed me since until recently I was thinking my next car might be an Ioniq, but not at that price.

• Like 1

New tech of all sorts is not good value for many 'Early Adopters',  unless enjoyment of ownership comes into the being in there at the start.

Not that anyone getting one 10 years after the earliest owners are in at the start.

This is the start of Cross over EV's though & Estates, and Vans / People carriers with a bit more range and under £40,000 RRP. 

There are EV's towards the luxury end as there has been over the past 10 years, but the cost is coming down for those.

Some people do not want 'Much Cheapness'  or the best value vehicle in the range or class. 

For that reason you have Skoda, SEAT, VW & Audi.  

Now you can often get more with a VW for your money than you can with a Skoda.  That is the game that VW are playing.  

You pay your money and make your choices, or choose something else.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a look at the inside,  Doesn't seem to have as much headroom as the VW ID3 or 4.  The reviewer says he is 6'2" and there's not much clearance over his head in either the front or back.  Could just be the camera angle though.

• 1 month later...

Looks like bonnet is about same or shorter, all of the extra length goes into the cabin, especially the rear seat. This is the reason why EV platforms need to be designed from the ground up, allowing full utilisation of spaces.

I'd consider the Koreans are only second to Tesla, they are leading in EV technology among the traditional car manufacturers. VAG ID MEQ platform being close second.

• 3 months later...

Hyundai will be a bit peeved that Guy Martin showed what real world driving can be like for range when he took a Ioniq 5 to John O'Groat and back.

Also a bit of a red face for Ionity with their 350kWh charger at Gretna Green. 

Maybe the Scottish Government & Charge Place Scotland might pay attention to the situation for travellers heading up and down Scotland in Ev's since they promise so much and deliver a pretty poor setup.

This was on 'Guy Martin, 'The Worlds Fastest Car' on Channel 4. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

222 km real world tested range with an average speed of 120 kph.

Not exactly close the car's quoted range of more like 360 kms.

Car designers only achieving a drag coefficient of 0.288 is pretty poor.

Mk 4 Octy is 0.24 as is the "normal" Ionic !!!

Ionic 5 not a autobahn, autostrada, motorway car.

0.249[189] Škoda Octavia MkIV liftback 2020
0.24[190] Hyundai Ioniq 2016–Present
0.24[191] Kia Optima Hybrid 2016
0.24[c] Mercedes-Benz S 350 BlueTec[192] 2013
0.24[c] Mercedes-Benz C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency Sedan[193] 2014–Present
0.24 Tesla Model S[194] 2012
0.24 Toyota Prius[195] 2016
0.24 BMW i4 2021
0.236 Xpeng P7[196] 2020
0.23[197][c] Audi A4 2.0 TDI ultra (110 kW) 2015
0.23[198][c] Alfa Romeo Giulia Advanced Efficiency 2016
0.23[199][c] BMW 320d (G20) 2018
0.23[200] Tesla Model 3 2017
0.22[185] Porsche Taycan Turbo 2019
0.22[201][c] BMW 5 series (G30) 520d EfficientDynamics 2017
0.22[202][c] Mercedes-Benz CLA 180 BlueEfficiency Sedan 2013
0.212 (according to some sources: 1:5 model test)[203][204][205] Tatra T77A 1935[206]

[207] [208] [209]

0.208 Tesla Model S[210] 2021

• Like 1