Hyundai Ioniq 5

widdershins

I always take these range tests with a pinch of salt because unless they where all done at the same time there not really comparative  with EV’s. I’ve seen days when the range goes above the makers claims and others when it falls a lot short.

• Like 1

That is why you want to know the worst that they might do.  As in heavy electric use, 

load a driver and 400 kg or weight in them and take them on a motorway run at the Speed limit or safe speeds when the temp is near freezing.

This is what it is with one person doing what that car can on that day.

Michelin Primacy 4 on it when there are winter conditions will be a no no no matter that there is four wheel drive.

Bottom vid,

no rear wiper but AWD, it is getting ridiculous.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...

I think as he gets used to it the efficiency will improve. For example running re-gen level1 in town when it most likely should have been level3 or auto. However, if it doesn't get up past 3.2 I think it will damage Hyundai/Kia reputation for efficiency as people expect them to be good now. Efficiency in our ID.4 has definitely improved as we have got used to it, even allowing for better weather now over when we first got it.

Motorway at 70 mph accurate with CC on will not improve as you get used to the car, especially when the weather gets cooler.      EV,s at 70 on the CC and doing 67mph seems to be so very common these days.   Adding actual passengers to the car and driving at the same speed at the same ambient temp will not improve the efficiency.   Inflating the tyres and compromising the traction might.  An AWD car and appropriate winter or All weather tyres fitted and the efficiency then is going to be worth seeing. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, Luckypants said:

it will damage Hyundai/Kia reputation for efficiency as people expect them to be good now.

Indeed, I'd expect Ioniq 5 to be on similar efficiency as Model Y. But looks like VAG ID4 (and sister cars) will be more efficient.

It's a great EV in terms of tech and 800v future capability, but if efficiency isn't competitive, it won't be a good road-tripper until 800v chargers are common.

19 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

<snip>

, it won't be a good road-tripper until 800v chargers are common.

On that subject, I found out something interesting about the new Gridserve chargers going in to replace the ageing Ecotricity ones on the Electric Highway network (mainly on motorways). They are advertised as 120kW chargers, but can only achieve this on 800V cars. The rest of us mere mortals will have to put up with 60kW. Bit of a derail, but there is more to charging speeds than the headline speed. (I also saw the same issue on another network's high speed chargers but cannot remember which one)*

*I remembered, it is on Motor Fuel Group's new high speed chargers, specifically at their new hub in Stretford. The headline speed is 160kW but the small print on the charger shows 80kW at 400V.

Edited by Luckypants
Remembered the other network.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

The rest of us mere mortals will have to put up with 60kW. Bit of a derail, but there is more to charging speeds than the headline speed.

Absolutely. It's a joke most places only advertise the total power, treating consumers like dumb dumb. Whereas max current at which voltage is more important. 

So many cars are advertised as 100kW or even 150kW whereas that's on 400v and relies on liquid cooled cable delivering super high current. I guess GridServe are using simpler thick cables and provides limited current to keep temperature in check. 

• Like 1

Took this out for a test drive and was pleasantly surprised - Premium spec 73kWh RWD (I think).

Ioniq5-1.thumb.jpg.d418eac82bb4c3ad0fe6d3a709bf40f2.jpg

Ioniq5-2.thumb.jpg.e709b0b98510bf1f4558ba9e86da7cbd.jpg

Ioniq5-3.thumb.jpg.679a32dd3e062b061e858b32b234df0d.jpg

Ioniq5-5.thumb.jpg.6eee95eb21b59b2d5f9f2e306526fde3.jpg

Ioniq5-7.thumb.jpg.efb273b29dd5e1c07e82b288044a97fd.jpg

Ioniq5-acceleration.JPG.90e633e7fcbba4a3dcb7fcb2d3a04489.JPG

A couple of things which I did notice that were 'different' - for info only.

The car will open it's handles as you approach but doesn't auto lock as you move away - not too sure if the key had any 'non relay' properties.

There was a manual headlight adjustment.

I couldn't get the dashboard to show the blind spot cameras when indicating.

Speed was sufficient but would have liked a touch more.

The tyres had a generous sidewall but were of the 'normal' variety so no Sealinside.

The dashboard graphics were quite clear.

No doubt some of the settings were available to alter if I had had the time but was content just to enjoy the drive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic.

Manufacturers need to hire her and more like her.

They need told what is what and what matters, like rear wipers.

When the Chancellor has the next budget she should be on the telly to discuss how take changes will affect the Self Employed or Business Drivers.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Have seen one of these quite regularly recently and have to say I'm a bit less impressed in the flesh - it's a bit meh...   and I think could date very quickly (almost already?)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skomaz said:

Have seen one of these quite regularly recently and have to say I'm a bit less impressed in the flesh - it's a bit meh...   and I think could date very quickly (almost already?)

There is one at the bottom of our road to the village. I agree it looks a bit meh..... but I think it appeals to some. A bit marmite, especially in the non-descript grey. A very good EV though and the interior looks nice, so if you're sat inside maybe its a case of 'who cares'?

4 hours ago, Luckypants said:

There is one at the bottom of our road to the village. I agree it looks a bit meh..... but I think it appeals to some. A bit marmite, especially in the non-descript grey. A very good EV though and the interior looks nice, so if you're sat inside maybe its a case of 'who cares'?

Maybe yes - interestingly though I've also spotted a Kia EV6 round and about (same platform etc.) and as a design it's far better resolved and I think will better stand up to the test of time.  I certainly know where my money would be going out of the two if I was in the market.

• Like 1

saw one on the road today. Ioniq 5, in a darkish silver metallic. it looks.... retro-futuristic? especially from the back. 

as in it wouldnt look out of place in an 80s movie set in the 2030s. kinda Judge Dredd / Robocop type cityscape? does that make sense?

all the fake grills along the bottom of the sides and rear bumpers. its... i dunno. not necessarily ugly, but also fairly nondescript and forgetable.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...