Building a new PC

Alex-W

16 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Can't say I like the shark fin wifi aerial, but that's completely personal preference.

Yeah, it's not there for aesthetics, there's not really anywhere else to mount it, it's magnetic but doesn't stick to the back as well and the case will then reduce signal anyway so that's just the best location.

I could run it elsewhere but I move the PC around and use it downstairs regularly so it's nice to have it all contained,  so it just works.  

I’d definitely keep an eye on the airflow and would advise against pulling air in from the rear.

It’s very strange if I am honest to go top to bottom with big components effectively blocking the air flow.

If things start getting warm you might want to look at a heat pipe or a close look liquid cooler for the CPU that sits the radiator under an extraction fan up top. That or a passive heat sink with ducting up to a top exhaust fan.

It looks like the GPU could be passive, so if it is that’s good as there are not massive fans messing up the flow. 👍

It’s a very nice build though and I’ll probably do something similar in an ATX format.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

The airflow isn't standard for atx for sure, however after lots of research I've found that itx just varies from case to case (literally).

It's the standard airflow for the nr200p  case and that itself is well reviewed on the big channels for itx stuff as being great for airflow and can run some of the most powerful hardware.

The nr200p is essentially the present go to itx case for anyone who wants a fairly straightforward sff build and the best temps without a custom loop and without spending a fortune/waiting months for an ncase M1.

Rear intake is actually more popular as it does drop the temps a bit but I've got it as exhaust to reduce dust as the temps with the 970 are fine in either configuration.

Gpu has two fans on it, they don't spin under 50 degrees so not at all when not running a game.  

If you are really bothered about temperature inside, then perhaps you might like to install SPEEDFAN  - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

which monitors key components. It  also will report on variable speed of fans and (if my reading is correct) adjust accordingly.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I assume the CPU cooler cant be rotated 90 degrees to keep the airflow in one direction? Might be taking in a lungfull of 3060ti exhaust fan like that, though if temps are fine its no problem.

No, the AM4 holes have a rectangular pattern and the cooler fixes across two arms so you can't rotate 90.

You can eliminate the GPU heat by switching to rear intake and lower temps however there's no rear dust filter by default so that setup will increase dust build up over time and I don't really want to be forever cleaning it.  Given that the temps are more than fine I've not worried about it though.  They're relatively low power components (65w CPU and 200w GPU) so shouldn't really be an issue.

The GPU is half blower style too so 50% of the heat gets thrown out the Io shield.

Edited by Alex-W
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For cooling- don't  forget that a lot of Cases come with a large solid steel base. Sit an HDD on this, and it's a great heat sink. Then there's an easy 12v supply for fans, from the PSU.