Impending vRS 230 purchase (pre-FL)!

3 hours ago, Fuzzarr said:

Do these have a particular preference out of BP Ultimate/Shell V Power?

Yes - avoid Shell fuels like the plague.  You'll get a performance flatspot.  The VRS will run like a dream on either Esso Supreme 99 or BP Ultimate.

5 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

Yes - avoid Shell fuels like the plague.  You'll get a performance flatspot.  The VRS will run like a dream on either Esso Supreme 99 or BP Ultimate.

Mine also runs great on Tesco 99ron. 

2 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Mine also runs great on Tesco 99ron.

Fair enough - as long as it isn't standard Tesco 95RON, then you should be fine.  The 99RON stuff from Tesco is rebranded "Greenergy" fuels anyhow.

I ran my 220 vRS sometimes on Shell V Power (99 RON) but largely on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded (97 RON).  Never noticed any flat spots on Shell, nor any difference in performance between the two.  But the car ran better on either of these than on any brand of the basic stuff.  Only ever bothered once with Tesco 99, my nearest station is 12 miles north or 12 miles south.  

22 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

avoid Shell fuels like the plague.  You'll get a performance flatspot

I use Shell V-Power all the time and haven't had any noticeable issues with my Stage 1 Racingline/Shark tune...

Where's that information from, I'm interested? (don't have a Tesco nearby, so if I were to switch it would need to be due to a documented reason) 😅

Edited by Ads230

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

Where's that information from, I'm interested? (don't have a Tesco nearby, so if I were to switch it would need to be due to a documented reason) 😅

In every vehicle I have *ever* used which has run on Shell fuels (both standard and premium fuels - whether it is diesel or petrol - performance or non-performance cars), you get an enormous flatspot on the power curve.  Its pulpaple.  The problem seems to be loss of torque on the power curve. From a Diesel perspective, the engine sounds rough and rattly.  From a petrol perspective, a 'dulling' of power in low RPM ranges, which means loss of torque and you end up having to constantly press the accelerator for more power. The only upside of Shell's fuels are that MPG is higher.  I suspect this is down to their formulation and that they use fuels with more bio or ethernol based additions to try and burn leaner.  Put back in either Esso, BP or Gulf fuels, the problem goes away.  Flat spots disappear.  Engine sounds smoother.

Royal Dutch Shell & Greenergy are not putting more than 5% Bio if there is any in the 99 ron minimum V-Power Nitro + or Tesco Momentum 99 for delivery in the North of England and Scotland and the winter formulation from October to April will have less Ethanol if there is Ethanol because it is hygroscopic.

Greenergy is producing and delivering the Esso Super Unleaded in parts of the UK including Scotland.

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 14.32.09.png

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 14.32.24.png

388380a097b04fe693a8c27db8bb4974 (1).pdf 6ca06d648b9541e78fa838fece4a1a23 (1) (7).pdf

Edited by e-Roottoot

9 minutes ago, gon said:

performance gain vs cost doesnt justify anything other than the cheapest fuel you can buy (95) ... maybe if I ever take it to a track day .... maybe ...

I have never had a problem with numerous cars using basic 95ron fuel. Apart from one, those cars were running stock power. My last Octavia VRS TSI was mapped and I mostly ran it on 95ron, with the best fuel fill up every 3rd fill, again no problems or loss of power.  I was told however by the guy who mapped my present VRS, that most of the vehicles that came back with any problems, ran their mapped cars on the basic fuel only.  He strongly suggested after it was mapped, to run my motor on the best fuel. Only the best has been put in my car since. Going with the saying, better be safe than sorry. 

Since going Stage 1+, I've always run it on 99ron fuel - either BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power, the latter mainly as they're common as muck round my way. Never experienced any flat spots in torque delivery whatsoever when using it, and have always been running Shell V-Power when doing dyno runs to confirm this (the last one being down in Portsmouth with the Brisky lot at JKM Performance - where we all had slightly dodgy outputs with winter fuels).

However, re:@varaderoguy I appreciate that others have had different experiences or not been so lucky - but it's the first I've heard Shell being called out specifically, hence my query.

For cars with stock ECUs and components, I'd argue 95ron is fine. For tuned cars - clearly if you care about the vehicle - then (if you have the luxury) spend the extra cash on decent fuel... if anything for peace-of-mind, rather than performance.

Edited by Ads230
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, gon said:

all psychological :biggrin: 

I agree, there is a bit of that.

As for the comments re Shell - I've kept detailed records for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles (sad, I know) and never, never, never found different brands of fuel make a difference to consumption.  BP, Q8, Shell, Murco, Esso, Texaco, Asda, Sainsburys, Burmah, Total, the lot.

• Like 2

@Ads230You say your have always run 99 ron,  but the BP Ultimate is 97 ron in the UK.

It used to be 98 ron but that was discontinued long before 2016.

As it is the Super Unleaded is Minimum 97 ron and minimum 99 ron,

and ooop north those putting cars on a dyno or with switchable maps will often have winter spec Super Unleaded kept for Special Days / 1/4 miles RWYB etc 

as it can be from Continental Europe and be as good as 100 / 100+ ron. 

It can be as good as running 102 ron Hiperflo IME.  I used to buy 25 litres of that for high days and holidays & £72 a time.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 08.04.21.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

You say your have always run 99 ron,  but the BP Ultimate is 97 ron in the UK

And that's numberwang!! 😃

Apologies, I get mixed up with the numbers.

meant I always have run premium fuels in the remapped car (and previously in my n/a Fiesta ST). Good to know other information, learning lots.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion here.

I've been using Shell V-Power for around 10 years, firstly in a Golf GTi, then a BMW 5 series and now in my VRS 230.

I've never had any flat spots.

In fact, I've put V-Power in other cars that normally run 95 RON petrol, and this has improved the running of their engines, eliminating flat spots.

I was all set to fill up with BP Ultimate today, but both of the BPs I used to use are now Shells.

So I'm starting off with V Power after all.

Still loving the 230.

• 6 months later...

Well I'm over six months into ownership now and have grown very fond of this car. It's still not doing many miles thanks to my mostly home-working setup, but I have at least got a few longer trips in.

Last week it became clear the traction/stability control intervene far too early for the diff to do its job, so I'm quite regularly holding down the button to free things up a bit. 

I have a question though. My 230 is set to variable servicing, and I understand it was last serviced in November 2020. Given the low mileage I'm doing, I'm thinking annual servicing might make more sense. What do you reckon? I want to keep the car in the best condition possible, especially when it comes to looking after the turbo. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Any other thoughts after six months? Well, it feels like it has a very healthy 230 horses. I am aware 220 vRSs and other TSI-engined motors generally put out more power than claimed, but it feels like it could easily be putting out 250ish. I quite fancy putting the car on a dyno to find out. My brother, who drives a mk2 Swift Sport, had a go in it a few weeks back and was quite astounded by the grunt available. I had a go in the Swift and its close-ratio 'box was brilliant.

It's been a fantastic all-round car so far and every drive is a delight. I'm really glad I got the 230 over a 220, too. Nothing against the 220, but the extra bits on the 230 are all stuff I appreciate, especially the diff and exhaust.

Cheers

?

What was done in 2020 and pre 2020 at services?

Oil & Filter changes are easy, but there is more to servicing than that, so Pollen Filter cleaned / vacuumed or replaced as needed, air filter likewise.

Brakes to service, brake fluid to test for H20 and replace if needed, the front diff has a service interval / oil change recommendation as Skoda do not say schedule.

So pre & post winter prep or annual / regular stuff to do with a keeper.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/471790-vaq-haldex-on-2016-pfl-230vrs-does-it-have-one-and-service-interval

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 hours ago, Fuzzarr said:

Well I'm over six months into ownership now and have grown very fond of this car. It's still not doing many miles thanks to my mostly home-working setup, but I have at least got a few longer trips in.

Last week it became clear the traction/stability control intervene far too early for the diff to do its job, so I'm quite regularly holding down the button to free things up a bit. 

I have a question though. My 230 is set to variable servicing, and I understand it was last serviced in November 2020. Given the low mileage I'm doing, I'm thinking annual servicing might make more sense. What do you reckon? I want to keep the car in the best condition possible, especially when it comes to looking after the turbo. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Any other thoughts after six months? Well, it feels like it has a very healthy 230 horses. I am aware 220 vRSs and other TSI-engined motors generally put out more power than claimed, but it feels like it could easily be putting out 250ish. I quite fancy putting the car on a dyno to find out. My brother, who drives a mk2 Swift Sport, had a go in it a few weeks back and was quite astounded by the grunt available. I had a go in the Swift and its close-ratio 'box was brilliant.

It's been a fantastic all-round car so far and every drive is a delight. I'm really glad I got the 230 over a 220, too. Nothing against the 220, but the extra bits on the 230 are all stuff I appreciate, especially the diff and exhaust.

Cheers

Glad you are very happy with your motor, I just love mine. You think it's putting out more than 230bhp, you are probable right. Just before I had mine mapped, it was showing on the dyno as 265bhp. The guy said it was a very healthy engine and easy to get 329bhp, 499nm of torque out of it on a stage one map. Mind you, the standard clutch can't take it! So if you ever go the mapping route, be prepared for a large full performance clutch bill. 

On 14/09/2021 at 13:52, Fuzzarr said:

Cheers

Thank you for sharing with us, you've probably summarised how most of us feel about our cars too; I'm certainly very pleased and delighted with the 230, it's sooooooo much better than the BMW 5 series it replaced.