VRS Diesel Intake Manifold

I can't advise on removal but the best fix is to replace the plastic inlet manifold and its troublesome flaps with the alloy manifold from a BKD 140 TDI.  

The easy way is to buy the kit from Darkside Developments https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/ppd170-used-bkd-aluminium-inlet-manifold-conversion-kit.html or you can source a manifold from a breaker, clean it up and then source the gasket and bolts.

I had this conversion fitted to my '08 Mk5 Golf GT Sport 170 TDI and it ran better than it did from new.  

Car down on m.p.g and performance.

My garage did a smoke test on the intake and have said there is a big leak where the shaft goes into the Intake Manifold. £600+labour+vat =1k.

I've stripped it down and removed 9 manifold bolts.

I have a couple of questions i'm hoping you guys can help with.

1.The manifold is not free of the head. I've read there are 10 bolts. Is there another one inside the silver(throttle body?)

2. I removed the 2 screws from said throttle body and it wont detach from the air intake manifold?

3. There must be a seal kit for these intakes. Would that cure the air leaking from the shaft?

4. Does anyone have a part No. for Air Intake assembly ?

5. Is it worth repair or straight swap ?

many thanks for you time and advice.

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail4.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

I can now answer my own question! There was indeed another bolt securing the manifold to the block, but it is INSIDE the manifold. It can only be accessed after removing the EGR valve. Because access to one of the bolts securing the EGR valve and inlet manifold flap is difficult to reach I tried to take everything off together. You must remove the EGR valve first, then peer into the mucky blackness to find the last bolt!

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/134246-Cannot-release-inlet-manifold-despite-all-bolts-removed

Hi Schtum, many thanks for this. Ive no issues with £120 for a recon one. I will message them later. Thank you.

I am struggling a bit with the ECG Body. There are 2 torx bolts. 1 above the pipe which comes in from the right side. It feels like it has resistance and am reluctant to tug too hard. Any ideas what else i need to remove ?

I'm not the greatest on cars but to save 1k, I'll have a good go at it.

5 minutes ago, Wynjones68 said:

Hi Schtum, many thanks for this. Ive no issues with £120 for a recon one. I will message them later. Thank you.

I am struggling a bit with the ECG Body. There are 2 torx bolts. 1 above the pipe which comes in from the right side. It feels like it has resistance and am reluctant to tug too hard. Any ideas what else i need to remove ?

I'm not the greatest on cars but to save 1k, I'll have a good go at it.

I'm sorry I can't offer any more advice on removing the EGR (I'm assuming that's what you mean).  A friend did the manifold swap on my old Golf and I no longer own the car.

This may help.... https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=72241.0

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up. I fitted the Manifold from Darkside Developements 2 weeks ago.

The valve had 1/2" of crud on it as did the old manifold.

I'm now getting 50mpg out of a 14 year old diesel VRS.

And, it is really quick.

Thank you for your help guys

5 minutes ago, Wynjones68 said:

Just a follow up. I fitted the Manifold from Darkside Developements 2 weeks ago.

The valve had 1/2" of crud on it as did the old manifold.

I'm now getting 50mpg out of a 14 year old diesel VRS.

And, it is really quick.

Thank you for your help guys

Glad you've got it sorted.  That sort of gain in fuel economy was also my experience.  I found that so long as I kept it below 100 mph on long runs across country, my mapped Mk5 Golf would return 52 mpg. 

• 1 year later...

Does any knowledgable member here know when the alloy manifold was last used on Octavia mk2 VRS FL?

I have been told it was still found on late CEGA engines into early 2013. If that's correct, then it would appear VAG went from alloy to plastic and back to alloy again on 2.0 tdi up to end of MK2 in 2013.

On 22/02/2021 at 15:38, Schtum said:

I can't advise on removal but the best fix is to replace the plastic inlet manifold and its troublesome flaps with the alloy manifold from a BKD 140 TDI.  

The easy way is to buy the kit from Darkside Developments https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/ppd170-used-bkd-aluminium-inlet-manifold-conversion-kit.html or you can source a manifold from a breaker, clean it up and then source the gasket and bolts.

I had this conversion fitted to my '08 Mk5 Golf GT Sport 170 TDI and it ran better than it did from new.