Rapid Spaceback 1.2 Tsi cbzb, intake sucking in oil, puddle of oil in intake manifold.

Hi all, my partner has a rapid Spaceback 1.2 Tsi CBZB.

She has had a code P2138 for the throttle/pedal sensor.

I've started checking the wire for the connections, and I decided to take the throttle off to see if there's any gunk on the throttle plate that might be making it a bit sticky and triggered the code, the plate was clean but was coated in engine oil and the pipe to the throttle was oily, and I looked in the intake manifold with a torch and there was a puddle of oil in there.

The air box and filter was all clean and dry, the pipe to the purge valve was oily, I checked the spark plug and they looked dry and free of oil.

Has anyone come across this?

I'm guessing there might be a leak with what I'm guessing is the pcv valve I'll upload a photo with a green arrow to it. 

The photo with the oily tissue is been dipped into the intake.

IMG_20210224_161252853.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-232849.png

Screenshot_20210224-232922.png

IMG_20210224_165155591.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-233310.png

My wife has a 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS - so the later 16V belt driven cam shaft version of the 1.2TSI, I removed the turbo charge pipe when replacing the plugs and there was some oil in that pipe, so like you I wiped it clean.

I don't think that you will ever avoid any oil ending up working its way through to the inlet manifold on of these engines, I would not expect that you will notice any oil usage between services, well not enough to require you to top up the engine oil level.

Edited by rum4mo

Hi rum4mo, that helps, so it looks like it's just something that engine does then, I have a similar thing on my Fabia with the bxw engine and the tapping noise from the lifters, it seems like all the cars with that engine is exactly the same with the tapping but doesn't cause any harm.

I drove the rapid today and it drives perfect and doesn't feel any different from when she got it, maybe the oil had been building up over the years, I could just clean the oil out on each service to stop it building up.

The engine light has stayed off, I cleared it with my reader but it still flashes amber as an issue.

Do you know if vcds could tell if it would be the pedal sensor or throttle sensor for the code? 

If you have checked it with VCDS did it not offer a code that could point to one or the other, and what were Rosstech's suggestions for this code being logged.

Yes the BXW engines tended to get quite noisy!

One thing about removing the charge pipe, at least with the 1.2TSI 16V engines, VW Group official workshop manual points out that the sealing O-ring at both ends of that pipe should never be reused, and I discovered that I had ended up causing slight oil mist creeping out of the TB end onto the charge pipe body, so after reading about "never reuse the O-rings", I got my local VW garage to order a pair in, I cleaned the charge pipe ends up with brake cleaner, fitted the new O-rings after applying a slight "wipe" of new engine oil over the surfaces to aid seating/sealing - and the TB end of that pipe is again moist with oil!

The fact that these O-rings needed to be ordered in and not held in stock means that not many people are bothering/needing to take that charge pipe off - I only initially removed it at 4 years and 30K miles, to make my life easier when replacing the spark plugs, there was no sign of oil mist on that TB end of that pipe before that!

• 1 month later...

My car has same problem. 

i.imgur.com/T270jZz.png

I replaced that PCV valve. It was completely useless. Rubber disk was badly worn and did not create any sort of seal. I don't think I even got to ride for a week before the new one got blown out aswell and became useless.

i.imgur.com/lmLnTTr.jpg

Edited by Koreenium

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Koreenium

So it looks like it's a common problem with this car then, I'm guessing I might aswell just clean it out 6 months or so as it still drives fine. And looking at that photo it's pointless for me changing the seal if they just go again.

Thanks 

• Like 1