Superb Mechatronic issues

Having had a "gearbox in emergency mode no reverse gear" message and fun at the dealership last week I thought I'd pop in here to see what the mood was. Seems like there's a lot of discussion about the Mechatronic in the Octavia/Yeti/Fabia subgroups but not in the Superb group.

Odd.

No idea why, anyway, having had the car for a few days, the dealer nor Skoda found anything to replace so did a gearbox reset and sent me on my way.

Glad it happened and was recorded with Skoda just before the warranty ran out rather than after, so if it happens again I can go and give them my best Paddington stare.

@GypWhat age of car with how many miles on it. 

EDIT.   If this is a 1.4TSI then it is a DQ200 DSG as i posted about below. Sorry, i thought it would be  a 2.0  TDI,

The Fabia / Yeti & Octavia section DSG's with MCU issues are liable to be 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG's so DQ200's. 

They have a World Wide Recall excluding Europe in 2012, a Service Campaign on them up to 2012 in Europe, another 2013-15, then again a recall in Australia in 2019.

Not many reports of issues from 2015 other than the Clutch Slip issues as in the Mk3 Fabia section, then the issues with the DQ200 with some 1.5 TSI's.

There are software updates for that.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@GypWhat age of car with how many miles on it. 

EDIT.   If this is a 1.4TSI then it is a DQ200 DSG as i posted about below. Sorry, i thought it would be  a 2.0  TDI,

The Fabia / Yeti & Octavia section DSG's with MCU issues are liable to be 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG's so DQ200's. 

They have a World Wide Recall excluding Europe in 2012, a Service Campaign on them up to 2012 in Europe, another 2013-15, then again a recall in Australia in 2019.

It's a 2018 car with about 25,000 very gentle miles on it (perhaps that's the problem)

Yes, it's a 1.4TSi so it would be the DQ200. I'm guessing that it's fairly rare in a Superb as most go for the larger engine with the different gearbox

• Like 1

?

Is it still under Warranty so reported before that expires? 

Hopefully all is well now, but if not then that will hardly be a surprise as Skoda have not exactly advanced technology over 10 plus years of DQ200's, 

and you never know how things are after 3 years until 3 years passes.

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

?

Is it still under Warranty so reported before that expires? 

Hopefully all is well now, but if not then that will hardly be a surprise as Skoda have not exactly advanced technology over 10 plus years of DQ200's, 

and you never know how things are after 3 years until 3 years passes.

Yes, still under warranty for another 4 or 5 weeks.

• Like 1

Good.

Be aware that others that have taken out Skoda Warranties at the end of the Manufacturers warranty have had claims knocked back because it was said they had talked to Skoda Dealerships before buying the warranty and then they claim 'Known Issues'.

Obviously this is ridiculous,

so if any issue in the next 4 weeks be sure to get onto Skoda Assist and have the car uplifted 'as you feel it is unsafe to drive' incase there is loss of drive.

6 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Good.

Be aware that others that have taken out Skoda Warranties at the end of the Manufacturers warranty have had claims knocked back because it was said they had talked to Skoda Dealerships before buying the warranty and then they claim 'Known Issues'.

Obviously this is ridiculous,

so if any issue in the next 4 weeks be sure to get onto Skoda Assist and have the car uplifted 'as you feel it is unsafe to drive' incase there is loss of drive.

As Skoda have been involved in the process - dealer called skoda to ask advice on how to resolve problem - I'm comfortable that I can push skoda to resolve if the problem recurs 

• Like 1

Perfect.

Then if that happens and any remedial work needs doing i would buy a Skoda Warranty as the work they do under the Manufacturers Warranty is not covered longer than the life of the manufacturers warranty.

Unless you pay some pence towards it.

But once they have fixed under warranty, then there are no 'known issues or faults'  So a Warranty purchased is on a vehicle that is fault free with the DSG.

Sorry if that sounds contrived, but then Skoda UK and the Warranty Provider are the ones that can be 'at it',  so you play the game the way they do IME.

22 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Perfect.

Then if that happens and any remedial work needs doing i would buy a Skoda Warranty as the work they do under the Manufacturers Warranty is not covered longer than the life of the manufacturers warranty.

Unless you pay some pence towards it.

But once they have fixed under warranty, then there are no 'known issues or faults'  So a Warranty purchased is on a vehicle that is fault free with the DSG.

Sorry if that sounds contrived, but then Skoda UK and the Warranty Provider are the ones that can be 'at it',  so you play the game the way they do IME.

I previously got caught with their 12 year (IIRC) anti corrosion warranty - I got rust, it got repaired under the warranty, the rust reappeared but was no longer covered as the repair was only covered for a year...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi mate i bought a superb 67 plate 2.0 150ps auto diesel with 36k on the clock, and on the drive home i had a message pop up "gearbox error ok to drive"  so i turned around and brought it back, they booked it into skoda northampton and after 3 days told the garage i bought it off that it was a mechatronic issue, so i told them i wanted a refund which they did with no problem, and skoda done the work for free even tho it was out of warranty, so i am still looking for a car 4 weeks later, so thats my mechatronic story mate good luck sorting it...michael.

• Like 1

Hmmm...so much for "wet box" reliability. Seems some are still as prone to expensive failure as the infamous dry box DQ200, despite not even reaching its first "recommended service interval".

1 hour ago, xman said:

Hmmm...so much for "wet box" reliability. Seems some are still as prone to expensive failure as the infamous dry box DQ200, despite not even reaching its first "recommended service interval".

i suppose they sell hundreds of thousands of this gearbox configuration in europe alone so a few duds is nothing IS IT ?:sweat:

Skoda manufacture 2,200 or more DQ200's a day and that used to be for 48 applications.

If only 22 a day have premature failures, or failure in the warranty period than Skoda admitting to that would be good.

What a shame that Skoda /VW have not the faith in their engineering that these DQ200's which have no Service Schedule /Guidelines or recommendations for services do not get a 120,000 mile / 10 year warranty

& then wet clutch DSG's at least covered for 5 years / 60,000 miles and that being as a minimum of a warranty.

Skoda do 5 year warranties in Australia and i assume that is when serviced to the manufacturers recommendation, or maybe they call it 'schedules'. 

3 million DQ200's produced just by Skoda by 2019.

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 19.22.26.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

21 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Skoda manufacture 2,200 or more DQ200's a day and that used to be for 48 applications.

If only 22 a day have premature failures, or failure in the warranty period than Skoda admitting to that would be good.

What a shame that Skoda /VW have not the faith in their engineering that these DQ200's which have no Service Schedule /Guidelines or recommendations for services do not get a 120,000 mile / 10 year warranty

& then wet clutch DSG's at least covered for 5 years / 60,000 miles and that being as a minimum of a warranty.

Skoda do 5 year warranties in Australia and i assume that is when serviced to the manufacturers recommendation, or maybe they call it 'schedules'. 

3 million DQ200's produced just by Skoda by 2019.

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 19.22.26.png

so if i test drive another car with a knackered dsg in the next 4 weeks that can't be just bad luck right?

There are millions of good DQ200's obviously.

But in 2012 there was a World Wide Recall excluding Europe that got a Service Campaign.2009-2012 DQ200's

In some world regions VW gave a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on them.

Then 2017 there was a Service Campaign on some from 2013-2015.

Then 2019 another recall in Australia on some from 2009-2015/16.

There are TPI's on ones from 2015 -2017 for software update and there are uprated clutches. See Fabia Mk3 section on the 'Famous DQ200 Clutch Slip Thread'. 

Then there is the DQ200 issue with some 1.5TSI's from around 2018 on.

So basically VW never remembered 'Vorsprung Durch Technik.'   Well they have really as soon the DQ200's will only be in 1.0 & 1.5TSI's when they have Mild Hybrid.

That is after they release the Mk4 Fabia with a 1.5 TSI with DSG only.

3 hours ago, xman said:

With all due respect i've posted a ridiculous comment.

Edited by Nick_H
  • Confused 1

Not really ridiculous as there are failures happening with MCU's on Wet Clutch DSG's not even @ 40,000 miles or even 5 years old. 

Skoda / VW Group have had enough years for development to be having this as very rare event, but then it will be 5 years until you can tell how something built 5 years previously get on for reliability...

Not that they can have 100% of any product not failing.

VW Group are the ones that know how many MCU's need supplied as a part and for what ages of vehicles and they are not telling anyone other than maybe the Management Board.

Edited by e-Roottoot

51 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Not really ridiculous as there are failures happening with MCU's on Wet Clutch DSG's not even @ 40,000 miles or even 5 years old. 

Skoda / VW Group have had enough years for development to be having this as very rare event, but then it will be 5 years until you can tell how something built 5 years previously get on for reliability...

Not that they can have 100% of any product not failing.

VW Group are the ones that know how many MCU's need supplied as a part and for what ages of vehicles and they are not telling anyone other than maybe the Management Board.

Yeah I don't think I read Xman's post properly in fact reading it again now I think my brain substituted it for something totally different ! And i'm sober ! I've edited my  comment .....

Edited by Nick_H
Going mental ...
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

I’ve seen VOR’d back order parts arrive within a few days on many occasions. 👍🏻

They are going to update me on Monday.

We've got the Citigo and the MX5 to potter about in in the mean time.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Gyp said:

Back from the depths - 2nd mechatronic has failed 20k miles later

What were the symptoms this time around?