2.0TSI VRs intake manifold Change injector change miss fire still !!!

Hi hope some one can help!

I took my car 2.0 tsi rs  to the garage on Tuesday to have an intake manifold replacement he did this job and phoned said it’s bad new misfiring on idle I’ve changed spark plugs ignition coil I went down had a look he was showing me on vag com the cylinder  misfire counter was 0 on cylinder 1 no 2 was 12 no3 was 32 was and cylinder 4 was like 130 so he said new fuel injectors so I was like great thanks mate 🙄 so ordered them fitted them he rang me yesterday and said it’s still misfiring on idle but as soon as you boot it drives like there nothing wrong pulls like a train but as soon on tick over about 10 seconds flashing engine light comes on you start to drive it’s like nothing happens 

But instantly when I come to the stop of the light the revs fluctuating and went to 1300rpm then drop back normal about 3 times then 10 seconds flashing eml misfiring cylinder 4 I took the car back down today and he did another full compression check on all cylinders and where all 100% so no problem there  he then started to look eye pcv and because it’s the original common to go he did say there’s some suction and when you put your finger over the whole it changes tone and instantly all the cylinder units start to drop but am confused because when I had my old intake manifold the time I ever had that problem was when the intake manifold actuator arm popping out common problem but as soon as you pushed it back in nothing🙄 but now with the new one and with new actuator arm it’s constantly missing on idle drives fine when about 1000rpm but only on cylinder 4 and has now started with no3 but Its not a genuine vag intake manifold it’s is still oem manifold of auto doc I’ve changed the injectors new sparks swapped ignition coils it’s having the pvc changed tomorrow when he ran it on vag it did also bring up and intake manifold fault have I just ordered the wrong one and should of genuine part because he thinks if it’s not pvc then next thought is a genuine intake would any one suggest please help am £600 deep so far ? Sorry for the paragraph 

29 minutes ago, Rileysport said:

Edit, just seen that it has! Any indications of any vacuum readings on idle at all? 

Hi thanks for your reply please can you specify vacuum readings? I am about to take the car down to the garage now to have the pvc changed if not I am going to purchase a genuine VAG intake manifold because it all seems to be happening since I put the after market on 

Umm, guessing without seeing / inspecting really.   New gaskets used for throttle body and intake manifold fitting?  Absolutely, sure, as others have said, that all vacuum / pcv pipes disturbed are refitted properly the pcv connections "click" closed or have not sprung leaks. 

I wouldn't be totally confident in an aftermarket IM, what is the aftermarket brand? Some of the symptoms also sound a bit like an installation or reassembly issue esp given that the old faulty IM didn't do that?  That said, genuine IM is almost always  universally recommended.

When I did my intake port and valve carbon clean, removing the IM and the injectors I sent my injectors off to be flow tested and cleaned rather than replaced.

On 13/03/2021 at 11:09, TheClient said:

Umm, guessing without seeing / inspecting really.   New gaskets used for throttle body and intake manifold fitting?  Absolutely, sure, as others have said, that all vacuum / pcv pipes disturbed are refitted properly the pcv connections "click" closed or have not sprung leaks. 

I wouldn't be totally confident in an aftermarket IM, what is the aftermarket brand? Some of the symptoms also sound a bit like an installation or reassembly issue esp given that the old faulty IM didn't do that?  That said, genuine IM is almost always  universally recommended.

When I did my intake port and valve carbon clean, removing the IM and the injectors I sent my injectors off to be flow tested and cleaned rather than replaced.

Yes I know what you mean by hard to understand properly without seeing or being there I don’t think it’s the throttle body because on the old IM the only time I had revving on it’s own was when the failed actuator arm popped out of the IM once pushed back in correctly all ticked over fine everything has happened since I put an aftermarket intake on because of the problems once it was installed the garage suggested injectors so got all 4 new injectors put on then I went yesterday and changed the pvc but finally the intake manifold flagged up so it has to be because it’s a crappy aftermarket one I am having the genuine manifold installed on Monday so should hopefully fix the issue because If not I am honestly at a loose end because never had these symptoms or problems when the old one was on and the arm was place in correctly 

will update on Monday 

Yes. I guess you have to put a new genuine or the old one back on to assess. Of course, with the old one back on, you'd still have the original fault from the runner actuator arm vacuum leak and operation. 

13 hours ago, TheClient said:

Yes. I guess you have to put a new genuine or the old one back on to assess. Of course, with the old one back on, you'd still have the original fault from the runner actuator arm vacuum leak and operation. 

Update !! Car is ticking over beautiful and purring like she should be pulls like a train now since genuine intake put on and new injectors picked this up today and on the way home I give it a boot it in 2nd got to about 5200rpm and car pulled all power back and epc came on the car pulled the rpm back but give me full power up to 4000rpm and wouldnt go higher this problem was easily reset by turning the car on and off and doesn’t happen all the day time but defo epc light but no codes flag when I plug in 

If its not something on the spark side like a faulty coil I'd suspect maybe a faulty signal. Possibly early indications of camshaft or crankshaft sensor failure (or associated wiring/connectors)?

29 minutes ago, Me-109 said:

If its not something on the spark side like a faulty coil I'd suspect maybe a faulty signal. Possibly early indications of camshaft or crankshaft sensor failure (or associated wiring/connectors)?

Hi would you recommend me changing all the ignition coils as a precaution all sparks have been freshly done only thing that is not new are the ignition coils I mean obvs I replaced them like 6 months ago but do you think I should try that route first ?

7 hours ago, Jammie222211 said:

Hi would you recommend me changing all the ignition coils as a precaution all sparks have been freshly done only thing that is not new are the ignition coils I mean obvs I replaced them like 6 months ago but do you think I should try that route first ?

It does sound like it could be coil packs. But it will be one or two so a fault code indicating the cylinder would help.  If there is a garage that is doing another compatible car like golf mk6 gti or you know another person with same coil packs try to change them over for one run and see if it resolves it all before splashing another £150.  Does you garage ever suggest anything or are they just taking instructions from you?

edit. When I say one or two I mean coil packs very unlikley for 4 to go faulty at exactly the same time. So probably one culprit. But if proven, not a bad idea to replace all 4 after 10 + years

Edited by TheClient

23 hours ago, Jammie222211 said:

You said in your first post that you had swapped the coils. I took it that you meant swapped for new. If not, what did you swap? If you have at least one spare (ideally the one with the longest leads) you can swap out in turns until you find the faulty one (where you no longer get the symptoms). I can't remember if the leads are moulded into the coil or separate.

BTW, that first post is a bit hard to read without any punctuation or breaks. 

10 hours ago, Me-109 said:

You said in your first post that you had swapped the coils. I took it that you meant swapped for new. If not, what did you swap? If you have at least one spare (ideally the one with the longest leads) you can swap out in turns until you find the faulty one (where you no longer get the symptoms). I can't remember if the leads are moulded into the coil or separate.

BTW, that first post is a bit hard to read without any punctuation or breaks. 

Hi all has been resolved genuine intake installed new injectors new pvc and new spark plugs fresh service and she is running sweet as a nut purring away revs all the way up to 7,000 rpm no trouble driving better than ever and also seems a lot more zip to it and in regards to the ignition coils I was meaning I swapped them between cylinder to see if the misfire would change but no affect and turned out to be an aftermarket intake manifold causing all the misfire and rough idle once genuine intake installed all problems where resolved and with the new injectors and pvc also installed running beautiful thank you for all everyone’s help

Glad it is all fixed.  This is not the first time I have seen an IM replaced again with genuine following a pattern part.  It also shows how "sensitive" the EA888 gen 2 can be to components and operating parameters.  If everything is not spot on, it can be a difficult task to resolve and fault find..

Thank you for that me too glad it’s fixed ahah definitely burnt a hole in my pocket by not going genuine what should of been a £500 job turned into £1100 job but you live and learn and it’s surprising how sensitive they are when there are so many aftermarket replacement IM about any little change makes a massive knock on effect with the ccza engine but it’s good to have people on the net that can offer a helping hand so thank you for all your suggestions and replies 

Glad you got it sorted in the end, I had a Golf Gti with the gen1 engine, ended up replacing 2 water pumps (second one within 8k miles under warranty fortunately) and a week after 2 injectors stuck open and had to have them done. Loved the engine but had enough of it being repaired so got rid of it by that point