Problems using Skoda Portal for Map Update

Hi,

I have logged on the Skoda Portal to check for map updates for my 2017 Superb, entered my VIN number and it shows a 26Gb download is available "ECE 2021 valid since CW 45/2020" and tells me to use an SD card with a capacity of at least 26Gb. 

I have reformatted a 32Gb card which had 29Gb capacity free and started the download to this card.  It has failed after 20 ~ 30mins returning a "Failed - Disc full" error. 

Checking the SD card properties  it shows used space 4Gb, free space 29.8Gb. 

Any ideas on how to download this update file?

Many thanks for any info / advice you can provide on this issue.

Did you untick the quick format box?  I always run a full format and haven't had any problems updating regarding space on the card.

12 minutes ago, Penpusher said:

Did you untick the quick format box?  I always run a full format and haven't had any problems updating regarding space on the card.

Yes, I did a full reformat of the SD card, thanks.

8 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@Wheelnut

download archive to PC and then extract content to SD Card or USB

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/486625-columbus-map-update-2021-mib12-high/

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I am attempting to download the zipped file to my pc as you suggest, (3.3Tb spare capacity so no problem with 'not enough capacity' :-)

11 hours ago, MartiniB said:

@Wheelnut

download archive to PC and then extract content to SD Card or USB

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/486625-columbus-map-update-2021-mib12-high/

Well just a quick update, as advised I downloaded the zip file to my pc, which took 2 to 3 hours and then unzipped the file to my sd card that had been given a full re-format. 

Card update took another 2 to 3 hours but have not tried to install and update to the sat nav system yet - job for tomorrow :D

Thanks for your prompt assistance and advice, I'll update further in due course.

Cheers, Pete

Hi all,

Installed the SD card into slot 1 in the glovebox and updated the map successfully in approximately 1/2hr.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Pete

On 13/03/2021 at 22:28, Wheelnut said:

Well just a quick update, as advised I downloaded the zip file to my pc, which took 2 to 3 hours and then unzipped the file to my sd card that had been given a full re-format. 

Card update took another 2 to 3 hours but have not tried to install and update to the sat nav system yet - job for tomorrow :D

Thanks for your prompt assistance and advice, I'll update further in due course.

Cheers, Pete

I'm considering doing the same thing to my Nav and can follow most details as long as I understand them.

One thing I've often read but never understood is this `unzipped` business. What does that mean exactly?

Many thanks.

Like a foam mattress that's delivered vacuum packed, you have to unpack it before it's useable. It's packed so that it's smaller to transport, but not useable while in its packed / compressed state. This is the exact same theory, applied to digital files. Windows has built-in software to "unzip" (unpack) zipped files, just double click on the zip file and it will unpack the contents. A zipped file may contain many packed files inside it. 

Edited by AlVal
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AlVal said:

Like a foam mattress that's delivered vacuum packed, you have to unpack it before it's useable. It's packed so that it's smaller to transport, but not useable while in its packed / compressed state. This is the exact same theory, applied to digital files. Windows has built-in software to "unzip" (unpack) zipped files, just double click on the zip file and it will unpack the contents. A zipped file may contain many packed files inside it. 

Thank you for that, `AIVal`.

When I pluck up enough courage I might try that.

23 hours ago, mandp said:

One thing I've often read but never understood is this `unzipped` business. What does that mean exactly?

It means taking a computer file that is electronically compressed using data compression techniques and decompressing the file. Unzipping or decompressing is the same term.

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

It means taking a computer file that is electronically compressed using data compression techniques and decompressing the file. Unzipping or decompressing is the same term.

Thank you...but you've made me even more apprehensive about doing this.

`computer file`?

`electronically compressed`?

`data compression`?

Rather think my maps are gonna stay as they are!!!!!

@mandp this is all fine; don't sweat.  Lots of folk out there aren't IT literate; there are plenty of training videos online.  I feel you need a computing beginners guide; alternatively - as you are in Lincolnshire, if you speak with the Horton Skoda, I am sure they will be happy to update your maps for you (for an hour's labour).  There are also plenty of Briskoda members in your part of the world who I am sure would be willing to help (cos that is just the kind of folk we are).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

@mandp this is all fine; don't sweat.  Lots of folk out there aren't IT literate; there are plenty of training videos online.  I feel you need a computing beginners guide; alternatively - as you are in Lincolnshire, if you speak with the Horton Skoda, I am sure they will be happy to update your maps for you (for an hour's labour).  There are also plenty of Briskoda members in your part of the world who I am sure would be willing to help (cos that is just the kind of folk we are).

Thank you so much `varaderoguy` for your advice.

I'm not exactly a beginner with computers but they do scare me. The words `Upload` and `download` fill me with the heeby jeebys. All I see from them is damage to my computer or to my car.

I have asked my supplying dealer (Wings of Peterborough) if they could do it for me during the annual service (at my cost) but they say it takes so long that I would need to leave the car with them. They are 50 odd miles away (almost exactly the same distance as Hortons in Lincoln.) so that doesn't work.

I have more or less accepted that I'll get along with my current maps.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, mandp said:

but they say it takes so long that I would need to leave the car with them

Its an hour's labour; I hate dealers :@ who try and pull the wool over customer's eyes.  I can (for a small fee) - send you an SD Card with all of the maps ready - and some instructions.  The MIB system should then prompt you to update the maps as necessary - as long as you have either the engine running or a battery charger on the car, it should upgrade the maps for you.

9 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Its an hour's labour; I hate dealers :@ who try and pull the wool over customer's eyes.  I can (for a small fee) - send you an SD Card with all of the maps ready - and some instructions.  The MIB system should then prompt you to update the maps as necessary - as long as you have either the engine running or a battery charger on the car, it should upgrade the maps for you.

What a very kind offer, thank you so much.

That would surely be the answer to my problem but in these strange times I cannot see how we would swap `merchandise`.

All the very best.

Mike.

11 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

SD memory cards can be sent via post. Instructions can be written. Money can be settled via Paypal.

Good Morning, `varaderoguy`,

I'm afraid this is making me feel uneasy and ill-equipped for todays technical world.

I mean...

MIB? what does that mean...Men In Black...I doubt it.

How to get my address to you secretly?

How to get your address to me secretly?

`Paypal`? I've heard of it but no idea how it works.

So, I'll stick with my maps as they are. Its not as if I go anywhere anyway! And if I do and get lost, I'll just turn around and try again...not a biggy.

You are obviously a very nice bloke and I'd like to thank you for your time, your kindness and for your patience.

My very best regards

Mike.

12 hours ago, mandp said:

Good Morning, `varaderoguy`,

I'm afraid this is making me feel uneasy and ill-equipped for todays technical world.

I mean...

MIB? what does that mean...Men In Black...I doubt it.

How to get my address to you secretly?

How to get your address to me secretly?

`Paypal`? I've heard of it but no idea how it works.

So, I'll stick with my maps as they are. Its not as if I go anywhere anyway! And if I do and get lost, I'll just turn around and try again...not a biggy.

You are obviously a very nice bloke and I'd like to thank you for your time, your kindness and for your patience.

My very best regards

Mike.

MIB is a technical acronym used to describe the unit in your glove box with the memory card slots. It's a system used across the vag group (skoda vw audi seat). This forum has private messaging ability. I'll drop you my number via this forum's private messaging system. You'll know you've got a private message as you'll get a notification up on the top right. Feel free to give me a call and I can talk you through the update slowly and simply and step by step. 

• Like 1