Reducing exhaust soot?

Has anyone mentioned upgarding the Intercooler to help reduce smoke if the car has AMD 1 already.

If you have a new map and mroe power, its likley that you'll need better charge cooling which can help reduce heat soak and smokieness.

:)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't, John, it's the missus's car. She doesn't need it any faster, just less smokey.

You'd have to have a hell of a lot more than twice the power to be faster than my Elise anyway. Get you calculator out and see what a Fabia would have to kick out to equal 336bhp/tonne and 389lb/tonne!!

Just because a company races, it doesn't mean that their aftermarket kit is good.

Very true MSD raced many touring cars and WRC cars, dont mean thier 'special' road cars were any good. Put together mainly by partially trained and un-interested monkeys.

Company I know (nothing to do with Skoda tuning!!) used to break lines in the ecu pcb and used manual boost valves for tuning on turbocharged engines. The result was less power than people who knew how to properly remap the ecu's and too much boost coming in all at once, which broke gearboxes and driveshafts.

So, racing companies really don't always know best!

Hi Jez,

Very interesting indeed.

The first practice is on 04th june next week and i think motors tv will be taping it.

Sorry I got on my 'high horse' about allards but i do think they deserve a bit more credit and consideration than they get

Best wishes

John

No the PD160 intake reduces smoke since you get more clean air in.

The egr is supposed to allow less crap out the back of the car to be reburned, however the soot in it does a great job of making a mess of things with a nasty black sludge (on my older cars) and I'm not sure how sticking a load of soot in instead of air can healp the fuel in there burn any better.

EGR is muchos wierd to me still.

EDIT: I disconnected the thing and blanked it off on an old car I had, due to the number of times i had to clean the air intake pipes that were full of soot and sludge. After that much less smoke and much cleaner engine.