Can i make a modification to my Felicia 1.3 filter case?

There are (atleast) three types of AC actually. One is original, documented in ETKA and workshop documentation, I posted picture earlier. They were introduced in 1997 or 1998.

Other two were retrofit kits:

One made by Diavia, looks almost like original heater unit for Favorit with some extra room for evaporator, which is placed right next to heater core. You can see it on this page. Notice repositioned PS oil reservoir (this instalation has PS pump placed above alternator)

https://skoda-virt.cz/cz/auta/favorit-a-felicie/12063-colorline/

Second one was made by Alex (or atleast several topics mention it as Alex unit, but it might be just distributor in Czechia) and that's one which is present on pictures above. It replaces original fan housing piece of heater unit, which is why filter meant for heating won't fit.

From what I've found, installations of these units had several variants, using different compressors, radiator fans, heater panels...

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any more info or documentation about Diavia and Alex units.

Edit:

Found this page:

https://www.alex-original.com/SKODA-Front-AC-units

It doesn't list Felicia anymore, but I found PNs on another page:

SKO 11135 - 1.3BMM

SKO 11137 - 1.3MPI with PS

SKO 11138 - 1.3MPI wothout PS

SKO 11165 - 1.6 with PS

SKO 11166 - 1.6 without PS

SKO 11191 - 1.9D

Edited by Papez

27 minutes ago, Papez said:

Second one was made by Alex (or atleast several topics mention it as Alex unit, but it might be just distributor in Czechia) and that's one which is present on pictures above. It replaces original fan housing piece of heater unit, which is why filter meant for heating won't fit.

Alexis not a simple distributor,is the maker and it's from israel

Not only for Skoda but for many European cars.

5 hours ago, Papez said:

Other two were retrofit kits:

So that is why I didn't know about them... Nobody in here clarified they are NOT factory A/C systems.

6 hours ago, RicardoM said:

Nobody in here clarified they are NOT factory A/C systems.

That's because most people don't even know it wasn't installed in the factory - they were usually installed at dealership/importer, before they got to the customer. 

1 hour ago, Papez said:

That's because most people don't even know it wasn't installed in the factory - they were usually installed at dealership/importer, before they got to the customer. 

16 or 17 years ago i learn about the Alex company,i saw a certificate in the wall of car repair shop (air condition-electrician) and the guy told me that since he was an official Skoda repairman he went among other Skoda mechanics after invitation in the Alex factory for seminars.

He told me how the factory inside was,the working conditions,he met the owner,he saw his office etc and immediately start laughing when he remembered that the only thing that they offer to them all day was a coke and a cold sandwich ant they were staving.

He said not only the Skoda but many other brands in Europe have Alex A/C units installed in their cars but the customer does not know it.

Here is an example: https://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/34934683-skoda-felicia

Take a look at the 5-6th photo the 2 buttons in the panel for a/c and the filter on the 8th.

The first owner (as i did) bought it like this.

Here is the way that those 2 filters work together

https://www.drive2.ru/l/466698706599543771/

and these the results especially of the use the DGA 091091

https://www.drive2.ru/parts/vag/dga091001/B-FFwEAAvZM

https://www.drive2.ru/parts/vag/dga091001/B-FFwEAAvZM

and since for us (the A/C guys) the plastic cover is completely different and cannot be removed so easily i am trying very hard to think a way to filter better the incoming air except that cheap foam filter that i have.

Screenshot_2021-04-03 Запчасти и комплектующие Оригинальные фильтры салона — Skoda Felicia, 1 3 л , 1998 года на DRIVE2.png

• 2 months later...

Update: today i tried to make a small modification, i have found a new paper filter from another car and tried to fit it inside my Felicia's case

This filter protects from Pollen, if the experiment was successful i would use an activated carbon filter because is better.

65FQus2.jpg

KeGTgWH.jpg

Since of course does not fit properly i had to cut it but it isn't so strong to stay in his position

41Iwa3g.jpg

so i added a layer of kitchen hood filter as a "reinforcement" plus to seal it better in the sides.

zmf0KOR.jpg

The results is funny,not good looking but at least works since i have made a small test.

If i keep it? NO because looks ''cheapy" and every mechanic which raise the hood will laugh.

Edited by D.FYLAKTOS

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately i haven't manage to solve the problem, take a look of how my cabin filter is today:

ZUlimWR.jpg

Except the hair from dogs-cats, a bee and many other things.

This is from an older snapshot, the sponge can not stop rain etc and to the sides i have this:

Zo144fE.jpeg

which means that i breath dust and dirt.

I have an idea, if i go to a guy which makes polyester, would be great to ask him to modify (by heat) the plastic case that the car has or make for me an outside rectangle case

qPY26eN.jpg

so i can fit filter like this (example)

9Ep2xPN.jpg

which have plastic frame and the guy can make them fit like an original? No leaks from the side, no dust etc, what's your opinion?

This is from the manual (with a correction by me) to show you how it is from the factory.

2Hnq5LN.png

This is from the hood, from that opening feeds with air the sponge filter,

J8Fusrz.jpg

Has a gap.

rgkBio9.jpg

In dimensions it is smaller, it's 34x7,5cm when the sponge filter is 36x10cm and the plastic case is 38x13cm.

If the guy removes the gasket and modify the remaining plastic case or make an outside one removing the ( and ) sides and make them vertical would be great?

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I thought more about how to convert the existing cabin air filter system because the years have passed, i am not young and careless about health issues like before and allergies are getting worse in the environment we live in. This is the existing (factory) system that I have, from its grille air blows in and from below I have a sponge made of activated carbon, while below I added a layer of kitchen filter absorber to hold more particles and to better close the gaps on the sides.

kPDWoOp.jpg

The metal lip of the hood does NOT seal well, it is smaller in size than the sponge and does not touch it, so there is almost 2 cm empty space and the result is that odours from the engine pass through the sponge into the cabin.

I remind you that rain drops and also water from the car wash to some extent fall on the sponge, which however, dries out through the heat of the environment and from the heat of the engine.

Intermediate solution:

JXhTPSf.jpg

I put a piece of stainless steel mesh to hold leaf-insects but all the above still apply.

1st solution:

Os0xCH5.jpg

I go to a 3D printer, they make a "hat" for me, i.e. a rectangular parallelogram on top i fit a Filtron pollen filter for Skoda Felicia 1600 and an oval on the bottom to rest on the existing plastic frame.

Yes, the air will be filtered better by the sponge, but there is still the issue of the odours from the engine room hitting the pollen filter.

2nd solution:

X5mrszA.jpg

Once again, I make a plastic frame with a 3D printer, I glue it back and as it comes down, it completely "closes" the lower structure, completely sealing it as we say:

the cabin will only get air from the environment but there is the issue of drying since the engine air will not catch it and I have to wait in a "natural way" for example the sun to dry the Filtron pollen filter.

3rd solution:

X5mrszA.jpg

Again, I make a plastic frame with a 3D printer, I glue it back and as it goes down, it reaches evenly, it will barely touches the bottom construction, so:

the cabin will get enough air from the environment and a little bit from the engine, while the Filtron dust filter will dry a little naturally, but also at bit from the hot air of the engine.

4th solution:

CzGk7Ap.jpg

Using a 3D printer, I make a plastic frame, glue it back and as it goes down, i bring it level with the surface barely touches the construction below, so:

the cabin will get enough air from the environment, the screen will keep the leaves-flyers but there will be a minimal space where the heat of the engine room will dry the fine filter which will be made of an kitchen absorbent filter.

5th solution:

tEoDo4r.jpg

With a 3D printer, I make a plastic frame, I glue it back and as it goes down, it completely "closes" the lower structure, completely sealing which will only consist of an absorber filter, so:

the cabin will only take in air from the environment and the kitchen absorbent filter will dry faster in a natural way, for example the sun, since it will be thinner.

@Papez @Thefeliciahacker @Raychev05 @Breezy_Pete @DeanVRS20VT or any other fine Gentleman who wants to help me i would love to hear your opinions.

• Haha 1

There is almost 2 cm empty space and the result is that odours from the engine pass through the sponge into the cabin.

Why that space must exist? Wouldn't be better if i ''seal'' the whole system?

Think in the other car of yours, the pollen filter draws air from the engine bay as the Felicia does?

A compressible foam seal to close any gap is the usual solution. Just grab one off almost any scrapyard car, it will either be attached to the bonnet or the front edge of the 'water box' as VW group usually call the scuttle area.

Cut and glue to correct size and shape, and space off with random other material to get the degree of compression just right to seal.

It's not the odourous gases you should worry about, it's carbon monoxide which will kill you without any bad smell to let you know it's there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

to close any gap is the usual solution.

That's the 2nd and the 5th solution but what's going to happen with the rain-car wash water drops which will inevitably fall inside?

I am concern about the time that the ''natural dry'' will take.

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

of the 'water box' as VW group usually call the scuttle area.

The plastic scuttle in Felicia does not provide air, it's away from the cabin filter (in Octavia 1U it covers it)

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2016/post-132001-0-03211800-1479035440.jpg

beneath are the drain grooves which must be take care of from leaves and other dirt, we clean them with compressed air.

• 8 months later...

Update: I haven't give-up trying to find a way to have a proper pollen filter, i am looking for an Oval shape filter to fit in my excisting plastic case, something like this:

OF.jpg.bcb121d8ff44ef1cdac637643326cc8e.jpg

• Groan 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/03/2024 at 09:18, Papez said:

The evap drain is there even if the AC doesn't run. There should be also an intake drain - or at least there is on non-ac cars.

The sponge really just creates a humidifier. Not the best thing when you want to demist the windshield.

Yes but what about the leaves, hairs from dogs etc, some of them may pass inside, where end-up?

On the evaporator?

12 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Yes but what about the leaves, hairs from dogs etc, some of them may pass inside, where end-up?

On the evaporator?

A fine mesh can filter out most of that. But yes, it will end up on evaporator. But it needs regular cleaning anyway

I was afraid of this and i asked for a cleaning few years back.

Now i am using filter for kitchen hoods as an extra layer which stop everything (hairs, leaves, dust etc) but in my mind i have the thought to make a 3D printing oval shape receiver like a Casserole Dish with ### inside like this and add a filter like this after i cut it properly.

For sure it's not like a stock constructior but it's far betetr than sponge.