Looking to buy a 2014 Octy TSI 1.4 so after some general advice.

Hi there,

It's been a long time since I came back to this great forum. A lot has happened on the car front as I have moved around from brand to brand. I'm looking at purchasing a second hand Octy anything up from 2014 onwards with as low mileage as possible. I'm especially looking at the 1.4 TSI engine version. My work is only few miles down the road so a diesel is out the question here. I use to own MK2 2.0 TDI PD which was a fantastic car despite few issues along the way. I'm looking to commute to work in this car and an occasional trip to mainland europe. 

I have read a lot of bad things about the 1.4 TSI and this includes timing chain and injector problems. I know there were recalls and this engine is not as new as it was hence VAG addressed these issues. I suppose I would like to know if this engine is reliable enough or shall I be looking for something else?

Many thanks for your replies in advance. 

Edited by arthurd123

• arthurd123 changed the title to Looking to buy a 2014 Octy TSI 1.4 so after some general advice.
31 minutes ago, arthurd123 said:

I have read a lot of bad things about the 1.4 TSI and this includes timing chain and injector problems. I know there were recalls and this engine is not as new as it was hence VAG addressed these issues. I suppose I would like to know if this engine is reliable enough or shall I be looking for something else?

The 1.4TSI engine in the Octavia III is the CHPA engine, which does not have a timing chain (it has a timing belt), if you search this Octavia III forum you will see owners have not had problems with the injectors either. We've had ours for 5 years now (bought when 1 year old) and not had any engine problems at all.

I suspect you are looking at information for the older 1.4TSI engine not the one fitted to the Octavia III.

• Like 4

+1 to PetrolDave’s comments. Definitely the engine to have.

1.4 chpa tsi engine in the mk3 Octavia is ace, 81000 miles on mine so far, been across France, Switzerland and Italy in it, no issues whatsoever :thumbup:  

Edited by classic
  • Like 3

If a DSG and not a manual,

there is a 'Service Campaign' called on some of the DQ200 DSG's from 2013-2015, so check if it required the Recall Action and had it. 

'34H5' was a software update carried out as a preventative measure to help protect the DSG from a premature demise.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

The other posters are all correct.  The issues you are talking about are not known as a problem with the 1.4 TSi in the Octavia 3.  It is a belt, not a chain.

I've a 2014 model which I've owned since it was 9 months old, and not had a single issue with the engine.

One thing for you to ask about on examples you look at: according to the official Skoda UK schedule, a 2014 1.4 TSI should have had its cambelt replaced by now.  You may wish to use that as leverage on price if it has not been done.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The 1.4TSI engine in the Octavia III is the CHPA engine, which does not have a timing chain (it has a timing belt), if you search this Octavia III forum you will see owners have not had problems with the injectors either. We've had ours for 5 years now (bought when 1 year old) and not had any engine problems at all.

I suspect you are looking at information for the older 1.4TSI engine not the one fitted to the Octavia III.

Hey PetrolDave,

Many thanks for you clarification, just goes to show how much I know about engines and which car is fitted with what. In that case you put my mind at ease, it seems the engine I have picked to begin with was indeed a very good choice.

I was warned by a friend from abroad but he didn't give anything specific to work with just the 1.4 TSI engine. I have read the early version had issue with the timing chain as you say (EA111), glad the Octy was fitted with the timing belt version.

Thanks all for contributing to this post already I really appreciate your time and help you have provided so far. This community is awesome! :bow: 

23 minutes ago, iriches said:

The other posters are all correct.  The issues you are talking about are not known as a problem with the 1.4 TSi in the Octavia 3.  It is a belt, not a chain.

I've a 2014 model which I've owned since it was 9 months old, and not had a single issue with the engine.

One thing for you to ask about on examples you look at: according to the official Skoda UK schedule, a 2014 1.4 TSI should have had its cambelt replaced by now.  You may wish to use that as leverage on price if it has not been done.

Thanks for the tip iriches, I have read on another post here the belt needs replacing every 140,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes sooner right?

When the engine was introduced, VW made lots of noise about the belt lasting for the life of the engine - it did not have a replacement interval and the VW blurb said maintenance free - see page 13 of the VAG Service Training manual here:

https://procarmanuals.com/vag-ssp-511-new-ea211-petrol-engine-family/

VW blurb here, about half way down about toothed belt:

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/the-new-golf-das-auto-international-driving-presentation-2797/the-new-golf-powertrain-structure-engines-and-gearboxes-2835

Inspection was at ~160k miles, then again every ~20K, change only if needed.

But Skoda UK suggest change it every 5 years/50K miles:

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/8b70c541-726b-4996-9999-66ebc7ca520b

Take your pick....

Edited by robs12
  • Like 3