Where to blank erg valve on Cr 170 tdi

Hello everyone, Any help on this much appreciated, I've managed to source an egr blank plate for my Octavia, it's the Cr 170 tdi engine, gen 1 I believe, I'm wanting to know we're is best to fit the blank plate? Thanks for any help in advance👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by john999boy

• john999boy changed the title to Where to blank erg valve on Cr 170 tdi

Unless you fit an EGR emulator/simulator then I believe that fitting a blanking plate will put your engine into limp mode as soon as it is started up.

• Thanks 1

Find the inlet manifold at the front of the engine.

Just above the throttle valve you will find a silver pipe entering the inlet pipe.

Trace the silver pipe back to the engine block, it's attached to the block with 2 bolts.

Loosen the bolts & slip your blanking plate in.

Retighten the bolts evenly to achieve a gas tight seal.

That is the easiest place to fit it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its not required with an emulator as the EGR valve is no longer commanded, the OP says that his will be "mapped out", surely that means the EGR valve will remain closed & a blanking plate not required?

In any case if he fits one before the EGR is mapped out he will have grief.

If the EGR is clogged up, it might not be shutting off 100%, this is when DPF problems start to occur.

I am only guessing that is why.

Yes, fitting a blanking plate before getting it mapped or fitting an emulator will result in limp home engine mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hiya, just a bit of background to this, I had a swirl valve position sensor fault that was bringing the EML on intermittently so decided to have a a tuner fit a swirl valve delete kit and stage one remap, egr and dpf left in place, when I got the car home from the tuner the EML came on and stayed on! Took car back were they diagnosed that the egr valve was now thowing up faults! So this is were it brings me to asking the questions about were to fit the blank plate, I've lost trust in the tuner who originally done the work so have some else who is going to map out the egr and dpf! I've been told off the new tuner I won't need a blank plate!! Which brings me to another couple of questions, will the egr be mapped shut? Or should it be mapped open and also after the egr is mapped out would I be able to then slot my blank plate in without any EML coming back on? I'm wanting it in as I know the crap will still be circulated back into my intake, or is that not the case with the egr being mapped out? Thanks very much for your replies and time, cheers

Having the EGR mapped out means it will be closed 100% of the time.

But when EGR's start to malfunction they often don't physically close fully & allow some EGR gas/ soot past.

Fitting a blanking plate will be a fool proof way to stop any EGR gas/ soot entering the inlet via the EGR.

I wouldn't want the DPF to get gutted, too much risk of failing the MOT.

The DPF will function fine with the EGR removed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for this, clears it up for me, for sure I will use the blank plate I have, I tried to trace the pipe that connects to the egr and runs towards the the engine it's self as someone mentioned to block it off were it meets the engine but it seems mine disappears to were I crnt see were it goes, so would it be best to blank it were the pipe meets the egr? Thanks agin for the replys, this forum is full of helpful people 😃

On 28/03/2021 at 13:50, J.R. said:

Unless you fit an EGR emulator/simulator then I believe that fitting a blanking plate will put your engine into limp mode as soon as it is started up.

On 30/03/2021 at 12:42, Gissin said:

Map out/remove the DPF,  fyi doing this will fail it's MOT 

23 minutes ago, PipH said:

Having the EGR mapped out means it will be closed 100% of the time.

But when EGR's start to malfunction they often don't physically close fully & allow some EGR gas/ soot past.

Fitting a blanking plate will be a fool proof way to stop any EGR gas/ soot entering the inlet via the EGR.

I wouldn't want the DPF to get gutted, too much risk of failing the MOT.

The DPF will function fine with the EGR removed.

It really doesn't matter where you blank it, it's just that where I mentioned, at the front of the block, its very accessible.

The rest of the EGR pipework is at the back of the engine & difficult to access.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pipe goes to the cylinder head where there is an accessible flange, the one that I will use if I decide to fit the blanking plate, from there there is a port that goes through the cylinder head to another much less accessible flange to a pipe to the EGR.

• Love it! 1

On 31/03/2021 at 18:33, J.R. said:

The pipe goes to the cylinder head where there is an accessible flange, the one that I will use if I decide to fit the blanking plate, from there there is a port that goes through the cylinder head to another much less accessible flange to a pipe to the EGR.

When I've looked and tried to trace the pipe it just disappears to were I crnt see where it goes!!, Looks as if I may need to take some bitz off to see were it leads!!?

Look at the ebay listing for the emulator/simulator for your engine (there is only one real seller) and it will have close up photographs with arrows pointing out all the connections & where the blanking plate goes.

Just now, J.R. said:

Look at the ebay listing for the emulator/simulator for your engine (there is only one real seller) and it will have close up photographs with arrows pointing out all the connections & where the blanking plate goes.

Ah cheers, that would help👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone, just wanted to add a little to this thread, egr has been mapped out, car drives much better low down, and just altogether better tbh as it had stage one map put on, I took jrs advice and looked at the diagram listed with the emulator on eBay, the picture of the engine is different to mine, I believe my engine is a gen one and had the Oil filler on the left-hand side if your looking at engine from the front!! So its looking like I will blank the egr from were the pipe comes off the egr valve, annoyingly my egr blank plate has not turned up and they have sent me a refund, could any of you fine people send me a link for the correct blank plate for my car?? Struggling to find one tbh!! Thanks again for.your help yous👍🏻👍🏻

Ah thats great m8 thanks, it does list my engine, I dont suppose you could help me out with my other thread I've just posted could you? Bloody inlet is leaking after having swirls removed, thanks again