Front assist

Hey

How works front assist on superb 2017?

I have test it by put some obstacle front of the car. Then i drive to this obstacle (styrofoam) and the car didnt stop or trying braking. Just drive over.  

So now i think, if i drive car in city and some children across street the car will not stop or what?  

Or on rela road will be obstacle,the car will crash in it?

how should work this seafty feauture?

Thanks

You wont be able to test the system in a DIY fashion. They are far more complicated and clever than that. Styrofoam will not cause the car to stop. 

This is the set up NACP uses to put these systems through their paces. 

https://youtu.be/FTKxCE5qmQM

The car is clever enough to warn you if something is not working correctly. If you have no warning lights you can safely presume all is well. 

Styrofoam is transparent to radar as it doesn't reflect em waves.....

I don't think pedestrians can be seen by the front assist radar either. You need "front assist with pedestrian protection" which has only recently been introduced across VAG, i think it uses the (appropriate) windscreen mounted camera to detect pedestrians, not sure its available for Skodas yet and probably will be a paid for option on most models like recently introduced predictive ACC

Older cars, the front assist system is to avoid collisions with cars travelling in front of you, not stationery objects such as street furniture.

Iirc starting with MY18 for Superbs, the parking sensors provide an anti collision function at slow speeds and close distance, these are ultrasonic sensors and can detect a pedestrian.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/news/details/skoda-assistanec-systems-enhance-safety

Edited by xman